Ratings for Dr. Stephanie Au

I had 2 sets of stints put in my heart. The last set were in June. I saw Dr. Au before my second set of stents. I had to admit myself to the Burnaby hospital because I could not sleep at night and no longer able to climb stairs as my heart was failing. Once I had the heart operation and my heart now only had 25% function left, Dr. Au took my heart condition more seriously. In essence, I was near death. My heart is in continuous fibrillation. Now, I have continuous shortness of breath as my heart can never pump enough blood to supply my organs. Its called heart failure disease because the dead tissue will destroy the healthy heart tissue. I told Dr. Au, I am going to seek treatment in Thailand. She said this was a bad idea. I am here in Thailand and my first 3 weeks were tough as I got 2 bouts of diarrhoea from tainted food. I spent $1,200 CND for 2 days in a private hospital to get an IV to balance my fluids and salts. Once my bowels started to improve, my energy levels were better than when I lived in Canada. Sweating from the high humidity, and 33C temperatures seemed to help my condition. 26 days since I arrived in Chiang Mai, and climbing stairs is finally easier. So, there is a slight improvement, in my heart condition, which Dr. Au said would not happen. Perhaps, I will die next week in Chiang Mai from the heat, or stress riding a motorcycle on Thailand ridiculously narrow roads, but I will die happy. In Surrey, I was run down 3 times in 1 year by east indian immigrants, and that is pure stress.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

Followed through on all tests. Kind and helpful and was also great with my son who may have the same issue.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

I saw Dr. Au in the hospital and she was very kind and professional. However, she dismissed my accurate diagnosis of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS a form of Dysautonomia) by saying that "some doctors don't believe in POTS." She didn't clarify if SHE didn't believe in POTS, but I found this statement really upsetting and dismissive. The great thing about science is that it exists whether or not you believe in it. POTS has cardiac-like symptoms but is not an actual heart condition (although many cardiologists do treat POTS, so do other specialists because of the wide variety of symptoms) so it's understandable that she might not know much about it. However, she could have referred me elsewhere instead of dismissing my experiences.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

She wasted my time. Sent me for tests then said she couldn't see me. I had to find another cardiologist Apparently my heart problem wasn't serious enough for her. I need surgery but she couldn't do it.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2015

Dr. Au is a very professional cardiologist with a genuine interest for the best outcome and investigation for her patients. She is a very pleasant person who gives you confidence in explaining results and imparting knowledge for the benefit of your continued heart health. Thank you Dr. Au MW

flag | Submitted May 29, 2013

I have seen Dr. Au on several occasions and she is knowledgable on time and very understanding with all circumstances. She truely cares about her patients and hopes for the very best. Positive outcome for me and my family. Thank you Dr. Au

flag | Submitted April 15, 2013