Ratings for Dr. Catherine Chen

Dr. Chen was recommended to me by a nurse friend. I transferred to her when I was newly pregnant. At our first meeting, she was very forthcoming and knowledgeable, but basically said most of her patients have scheduled c-sections or epidurals. I explained that I wanted to try a more natural approach to my labor, and she seemed turned off. After that point, she pretty much told me to switch to the midwives' group. I ended up switching to the NMPG midwives for prenatal care, simply because I was scared I wouldn't get the birth I wanted with Dr. Chen. The midwives were AMAZING!! I got the birth I wanted, AND I got the personal attention I needed as a first-time mom. I cannot say enough about the midwives!! If you want a scheduled or medicated birth, stick with Chen. If not, PLEASE visit the midwives. They are truly wonderful.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2011

The receptionist with the marbles in her mouth, told me it would be until August for first time appointment. That would be 3 months from now.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2011

Dr. Chen is the absolutely best physician that I've ever encountered. She is the complete package - amazing bedside manner (genuine care and concern), incredibly knowledgable and easy to reach. Our pregnancy was somewhat risky as there was an area of concern presented in the ultrasounds. While, eventually, we were under Children's care, Dr. Chen remained completely engaged and was always so easy to reach. She's part time - but always available by phone or email. Even though she was "off" at the time of delivery - she came in to perform the emergency c-section... She also dropped by the following day on her way to the office - simply to check in and see how we were doing!?! I can't say enough good things about her... She's fantastic! PS - her nurse, Karen, is wonderful as well!!

flag | Submitted February 24, 2011

Dr. Chen has wonderful bedside manner and truly cares about her patients.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2010

Dr. Chen is a fantastic doctor, period. On my first visit, I brought all my prior medical records. She read them on the spot and told me important results that my prior OB/GYN had neglected to inform me about. She is very patient at explaining things at the level of detail you want. She was very supportive and kind during my miscarriage and subsequent surgery (even performing an extra u/s when I asked). Her staff was helpful, copying my records immediately when asked. Dr. Chen is easily my favorite doctor.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2009

The worst doctor I have ever met, she is very impatient and doesn't want to explain anything! she wants to leave right after she finished her work, also, she did not want to say sorry even when she made a mistake! I don't know where the previous comments comes from, I went to her just because I saw those comments and thought she is good, but my experience with her is just terrible! I don't want to leave any comment here at first, but finally I think I should since I want other mom-to-be know that she is really not a good choice!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2009

Dr. Chen had a terrible bedside manner. I called her concerned about alcohol use prior to realizing I was pregnant. She told me "the damage was already done" instead of providing reassurance. She snapped at me for "calling [her] too often" (I was a nervous first time mom with many questions, but in no way overdone!). She also refused to provide care when I asked that she perform an exam instead of a resident. Avoid at all costs.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2009

I was actually turned off from booking an appointment because her office staff is rude rude rude! Her office staff asked me to have a credit card ready when the nurse called me back to book an appointment. I asked why and she snapped at me "I explained that earlier". And? I didn't hear it, so explain it again! Apparently, they charge a $50 fee if you cancel or reschedule your appointment under 24 hours before the appt. No thanks!

flag | Submitted October 6, 2008

I have never had a doctor give me so much time in the office visit to talk through my concerns like Dr. Chen (and still run on time!) She is truly fantastic (as is her staff). I actually miss seeing her now that I have given birth to my son. I highly recommend her!

flag | Submitted September 25, 2008

Dr. Chen is truly the "dream doctor" for women. She was my doc throughout my prenatal visits and she performed a scheduled c-section for my 2nd born in August 2007 (my first-born was with Dr. Harry Burstein from Highland Park - I have reviewed him as well). She is so caring - she held my hand as I received the anesthesia to keep me calm. She is very thorough in her diagnosis and evaluation. I noticed that even the hospital staff seemed to love her. And her skills as a surgeon are like none other! Even the nurses during my post-op stay in the hospital were amazed at how small my c-section scar was. I would highly recommend Dr. Chen - she is fantastic.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2008