Ratings for Dr. Charles Berk

My husband and I have been patients of Dr. Berk's for a little over a year and during that time i believe that he has become a victim of his own success. Scheduling an appointment has almost no purpose as the wait time is usually an hour. While the staff is pleasant and on paper it appears that it is easy to get in touch with Dr. Berk, it is not. On more than one occasion it has taken Dr. Berk days to respond to questions, including one about acute pain. Dr. Berk is a nice guy but that does not change the fact that his large patient population precludes him from timely responding to individual patient issues. i agree that he is low key; however, I am not impressed with his style of remaining on his laptop for the duration of appointments- not sure that he should need to look up every issue and am certain he is not responding to patient emails- maybe tweeting? I would say if possible find a physician that keeps appointments as scheduled (at least most of the time).

flag | Submitted December 2, 2010

So far, I've only used Dr. Berk to get referrals and to confirm what I already knew. The bad part is that each visit, I have a guaranteed minimum wait of 1 hour. He's a nice guy, but quite frankly not worth my time especially now that he wants to charge a yearly fee for the privilege of having him as your primary physician. His use of technology to allow you to book your appointments online and to see your visit history is great, but I certainly don't want to pay for the service. I think it should be his own investment and offer it as a no cost value added service to his customers. That's my opinion. For all I know, he just bought a new boat and is trying to finance it which I can't really blame him for that.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2009

As a patient, I was not pleased with the level of service that he provided. His expertise proved to be lacking, not sure if it is his approach or his pure lack of interest in his field. Would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2009

Our whole family has used Dr. Berk for years and we are very pleased with him. He's kind of an old-school doctor: takes his time, asks questions, doesn't rush for the big-guns antibiotics without sound reason. I like the fact that his practice doesn't feel at all corporate. Although waiting room time can be longish, he saves time in other ways by drawing blood in the office and also doing some lab tests right there. I recently recommended him to a friend who now loves him.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2009

DR Berk is a great doctor and has always had my best intrests at heart and is always there for me and my fsmily when needed

flag | Submitted April 9, 2009

Dr. Berk stated that he would forcibly retract our intact newborn's foreskin despite AAP recommendations that such a thing should NEVER be done. When asked if he would actually retract an infant's foreskin against AAP recommendations, he reiterated that he would. Forcible retraction can cause serious injury to an intact baby's penis and should always be avoided. I encouraged Dr. Berk to learn more about the potential damage such an action could cause, but was summarily dismissed. Please be careful when allowing this doctor to examine or treat your intact baby boys! Dr. Berk's attitude was such that I felt compelled to register and write this review to warn other parents of such potentially harmful ignorance. Forcible retraction HURTS babies and health care providers who refuse to acknowledge this fact should be held accountable.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2008

I've been going to him for over a year and I find him to be agreeable, friendly and concerned. He does take his time and I believe he also has a number of interns who work with him and I think that's what slows things down some. The waiting room is comfortable, not over crowded but the waiting time may be a little longer than most New Yorkers would care to wait. But I don't think the wait is that much worse than any other doctor. He'll do a blood test right in the room if you've fasted beforehand. He'll search the web for diagnostics and suggestions and he doesn't come off like know it all. In his prior life he was a nutritionist and so he has a holistic sort of approach to eating properly and exercise and making that part of his diagnosis rather than just popping pills.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2008

Dr Charles Burke refused to order any blood or urine samples for someone who was ill and had just returned from an overseas trip. He also refused to make any referalls to specialists needed!!!!!! I have never experienced or even heard of such inept behavior or poor level of skill. DO NOT GO TO HIM IF YOU'RE EVER SICK, GOD FORBID!!!!

flag | Submitted April 1, 2008

If you like an aggressive approach, Doctor Berk is NOT for you. If you want a doctor who is respectful and low key, he is. IOW, he is willing to prescribe as needed, but he does not do so at a drop of a hat. He is also willing to discuss options and what he is not certain about with you to discuss together what he thinks is important. He also does not pretend to know everything, and he's willing to look up diseases, symptoms, and drugs on appropriate sites (e.g., NIH's Medline). Also, he does blood tests in office.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2007

Dr. Charles Berk's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1986)

GHI