Ratings for Dr. Charles D. Allen

I love lovr love this doctor. Recently disconered him I took my both kids and also myself for annual check up. Best doctor ever. He saved my daughter's eye from stop working.

flag | Submitted February 29, 2016

Used to live in Princeton area, now out of state. I still travel back to see Dr. Allen because he knows more than any eye doctor I have visited, any where else,. so far. I have oddly shaped eyes, and have had trouble finding doctors who could give me clear vision. He does so, and I will return to him because he tells me what is wrong, and how to correct what is a problem. Wish I could clone him and have him live where I am now.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

I've read the above comments. I'm 57 - worn glasses since 3rd grade. Dr. Allen is the best eye doctor I've ever been to. When I moved to Florida, I came back to NJ for my annual eye dr. appts. The comment about the staff not being as nice as Dr. Allen - well, Dr. Allen is the nicest person on earth - what do you expect? The fact he takes insurance at all is amazing. The above comments don't mention the optician in the office - Dennis Pone - very gifted. You will not find a better place to have your eyes examined and your glasses made. Pone Opticians also takes some insurances.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2013

I have pretty miserable visual acuity (very bad astigmatism and far-sightedness) and have been wearing a variety of contact lenses for 30 or so years. Dr. Allen was able to get me to a level of correction that I've never had before and for this I am very thankful.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2013

Dr. Allen is the best. I have seen him for years and he has also cared for my wife and daughter, We have have always been grateful that he takes his time and examines thoroughly. I respectfully suggest the whiners stop whining and appreciate the care he provides and if you want more detail, ask! Also, not ALL his staff are as polite and caring as he is; let him know. If you don't want personalized professional medical care and care about schedule more, there are 24 hour lens providers in all the malls.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2013

Dr. Allen initiated a barely effective vision therapy (kid too old to really benefit). Did not tell us about co-pay requirement for EACH visit of therapy lasting several weeks, and then billed all the copay in one lump sum. unwilling to listen and talks over you in a very patronizing way.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2013

I've been seeing dr. allen for over 30 years, even during times when I was living overseas. He's extremely knowledgeable and thorough, having been a leader in clinical research on many of the products as they were being developed. His punctuality is his only weakness and that derives from his strength: he takes as much time with a patient as necessary to do a great job. Sometimes that ends up backing up his schedule.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Allen for many years and am disappointed to note how much service has declined in the past 1-2 years. For example, during that time I have received two sets of contacts that had to be returned. One was the wrong prescription, but no one checked before dispensing them to me. When I returned them and they discovered the error, there was no eplanation or apology from either Dr. Allen or his staff. Dr. Allen himself seems far less focused on patients than in the past - during one exam, he casually mentioned that I might be facing a vision problem in the furture but offered no explanation or information until I probed. During another appointment he spent some time complaining to his assistant about being overbooked that evening. Sadly, I have found a new provider who has already been more forthcoming with information and whose office offers more up to date and professional services e.g., instantly checking insurance requirements, etc.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2010

Although appointments usually run late, it's because he takes the time necessary to give each patient a thorough examination, and an explanation of what he finds. I appreciate that much more than being treated like cattle, marched in and marched out. A quick call to the office will tell you if he's running behind schedule and by how much, so there's no reason to wait in the office if he's running behind. Contact fittings are also very thorough, and you know you're going to get a pair of contacts that fit your eyes and are comfortable...both things I've not always found with other doctors who rushed me in and rushed me out.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2010

too long of a wait,plus too many times to come back for contacts fittings

flag | Submitted January 8, 2009

Dr. Charles D. Allen's Credentials

• Pennsylvania College Of Optometry (Grad. 1961)

Top Hospitals in Princeton, NJ