Ratings for Dr. DAVID B. Mayo

Go somewhere else where the Dr listens and cares about you. Dr Mayo isn't it! Very quick to judge and wants patients who only fall into his 'ideal' of a patient.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2019

Outstanding surgeon - anterior hip surgery and back to work in a month. My PT says he's amazing.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2016

I went to Dr. Mayo today 4/15/2015 and wasted my time and energy thinking I was going to get help for extreme pain in left knee. He has wonderful friendly staff that seem to truly care about you. Be warned there should be warning signs or disclaimers posted somewhere by Dr. MAYO that you ARE NOT A CANDIDATE for any type SURGERY if BMI (body mass index) is over 40-42 percent. I went through all the screenings and xrays and have him give me a 15 minute grilling about getting healthy and come back when you lose 100 pounds and maybe then he would help with my knee full of bone spurs and cartilage destruction. Did not ask me why I have weight issue, assumed I was another fat lazy slob and needed a lecture on taking care of myself and if I get it figured out come back then but until then I am between a rock and a hard place. I just want to warn any other LARGE PERSON of what you will be facing if you have similar circumstances. I am sure he does great work for those of you not in my position. I am not needing sympathy, the cold fact is I am over weight and I have issues and actually I am in care for weight loss and have lost 75 pounds already but I was so blind sided by his brutal approach that I was rendered speechless by how he lectured why although I need a knee replacement, I am not a candidate in his office. I let him have his say and was out of his office.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

Had my left knee replaced on September 11, 2014 and I can not say enough about how great the whole process was from Dr. Mayo and his staff, Karen and Cynthia. In fact, it went so well that on December 4th I am having my right knee done. I was able to walk okay, had pain, but didn't think I was really ready to have it done. Dr. Mayo thought I should have it done in the spring, but I had things to get done and needed the time. I realized in the class they give you before your surgery that most could hardly walk and needed wheel chairs to leave the room. Then I thought I really was having this too soon. After trusting in Dr. Mayo and staff, and speaking with the main nurse which spoke at the class. I decided to go ahead. Please, please, don't wait! I am so glad I did it. The pain is totally gone, my bakers cyst is gone now, and this is the most important thing I have discovered, THE MOBILITY is back! You don't realize you have lost this, and when you feel that stable feeling again like when we were 20, its wonderful! I am pretty good now at the whole experience with surgeries. After six back surgeries and some other ones, I now know when the process is "correct" or not. This doctor and his staff are up on all the new procedures and techniques, doctor is conservative in his approach and very, very, spot on when it comes to the details of every last part of your surgery. I can not say enough about him or his staff! Please just don't choose a doctor because he is "nice", or because he is the first one you saw, get a few opinions before choosing. I would send anyone I love to this man with complete confidence. I can't wait until next week after the next knee surgery. By the way, after my first surgery I was able to walk in the hall three hours after the procedure. The next day I went up and down 15 stairs. This is not typical I know, but thats how good it was. Good luck to all who read this, and I pray you all have as great a experience as I did. Happy holidays!

flag | Submitted November 27, 2014

After being in pain for 10 years because another Dr. who I put my trust in told me to keep waiting to have my knees replaced I went to Dr. Mayo. He took one look at my deformed leg and signed me up for surgery. He replaced my left knee in April and I was off pain meds and walking without a cane after a couple of weeks. I had my right knee done in July and was off pain meds and walking up and down stairs (which I haven't been able to do for years) after just a couple of weeks.. I did so well in PT that they asked who my dr. was and asked for his number. Thank-you Dr. Mayo I can walk pain free for the first time in over 10 years!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2014

I had a total right hip replacement performed by Dr. David Mayo on 7/17/14. Less than a month later, I was walking all throughout my home without the assistance of a walker or cane and practically pain free. I have to constantly remind myself that I had a major surgery and to slow down. The surgery scar is beautiful too and looks like a thin line that was glued together. I told my daughter that Dr. Mayo looks like an angel and now I’m really wondering about him because my surgery outcome is miraculous! It does not feel like I’ve had a hip replacement done. Thank you, Dr. Mayo. You and your team are the best! God bless you all.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

I had both knees replaced 3 years ago at another hospital. I could barely walk after that. I saw 3 other doctors and no one would help me. Dr. Mayo is the first doctor to listen to me! He found out what was wrong after looking at all of the old x-rays and taking new ones that no one else had every done. Since the surgery I got off the pain medicine and threw away my cane 2 months later and walk as far as I can want to. I am so happy my neighbor recommended him. I got my life back with Dr. Mayo helping me.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2014

Procedure: Total Hip replacement. Dr. Mayo broke my pelvis during surgery. When I complained of pain, he did not take imaging, he rather told me to continue physical therapy. After a few weeks of calls to the office, he finally saw me. The fracture that showed on the post op x-rays broke free during continued therapy. My replacement hip broke all of the way through. A fellow more qualified doctor at his practice frankenstein'd my pelvis pieces together. It healed of center. Three years later I still am battling to walk and live life with high level of pain in the area. My life changed for the worse that day. Never once a word of apology or help with the extremely high medical bills and low quality of life that has followed. In other words, please seek a qualified surgeon that can order and properly interpret medical imaging.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2014

Dr. Mayo performed a total hip replacement on me 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the results. I don't understand a bad review: he answered all of my questions, I was walking WITHOUT a walker 7 days after my surgery and without any limp or evidence my hip was surgically repaired within 4-5 weeks. I feel fantastic and I give all the credit to Dr. Mayo

flag | Submitted September 19, 2013

I saw Dr Mayo after an accident. My knee twisted and hit a wooden platform. He said I had a dislocated patella. After 1 day of therapy,the therapist told him that I couldn't do therapy. I went back to Dr Mayo and was scheduled for surgery. I asked for an MRI. He said I didn't need it because I probably had a torn meniscus. He was wrong. I had torn articular cartilage on my femur. In surgery,he debrided it,but didn't fix anything. Six mo. after my injury,he did an OATS procedure using my own knee cartilage to fix the tear. After surgery,I still had bad knee pain and my knee was really loose. I got my surgery reports to take to other doctors. I discovered Dr. Mayo did a lateral release on my knee that caused my patella to become loose. I never gave consent for a lateral release. Another surgeon repaired my lateral release. Another surgeon,said I have a chronic acl tear, posterior meniscofemoral ligament tear,and plantaris muscle tear. Dr. Mayo missed all of this. Choose another doctor.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2012

Dr. DAVID B. Mayo's Credentials

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 1987)