Ratings for Dr. Susan Poelman

I was referred to Dr. Poelman by my family doctor for a consultation. I had never been to a dermatologist before and wasn't really sure what to expect. What a wonderful experience it was! Dr. Poelman was so kind, answered all of my questions and her work was impecible! The most important thing I want to say was that Dr. Poelman treated me as a person, not a procedure. I truly felt cared for. Thank you so much.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2017

Dr. Poelman has changed my life. I have been looking for a doctor to help me control my Hidradenitis Suppurativa for the past 6 years (HS) is a chronic condition characterized by swollen, painful lesions, occurring in the armpit (axillae), groin, anal, and breast regions. This disease occurs due to obstruction of hair follicles and secondary infection and sometimes inflammation of certain sweat glands (apocrine glands). She got me in for an appointment right away. Before coming to my appointment she took time to talk to me over the phone. I was concerned that she would not understand what I had. She assured me that she has seen lot of patients with the same condition. On my first visit I was welcomed with open arms. She went over my history and different possibilities I had for medication. She has always been available, even on the weekend. I have never met a doctor that was so dedicated to her patients. Thank you for giving me my life back. Dr. Susssan Poelman Cares about every patient! Stacey W

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

Front desk lady very rude and not only to me. They were unprofessional. Nurse made me feel like it was my fault she didn't know what was going on and that I should have told her when I assumed it was all in the file. Dr was dismissive and didn't want to re book to check a changing mole. Just rude overall

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

secretary is rude. Susan isn't very welcoming took her a good 5 minutes to even acknowledge my presence. On medication for over 6 months no results. Didn't really listen to my concerns. Going to her is a waste of time.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

I have been with Dr.Poelman for two years, unlike other people I have no problems with her clinic. I never have to wait too long for my appointment. She is the only one who has really helped me with my psoriasis in fifty four years and treats me with great respect. She is so very knowledgable , the staff are adorable. Thank you all so much for your help and politeness .

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

This doctor did her job in a perfunctory manner, quickly, in an assembly line manner. No interpersonal connection was possible. I had the impression, if I ask questions, she would tell me to pipe down. Soon everything was delegated to the nurse. Then the nurse started her monologue about further treatment. I interjected with a couple of questions while she was exhaling. I was told in no uncertain terms that I must wait until the monologue was over. I felt like a scolded school kid. Later this year I have to return for more treatment, but will do so with reluctance and fear. I felt intimidated. This doctor and nurse either have no innate respect for elderly men, or maybe, they have a bias because of my heavy foreign accent. Something is not right here. However, the receptionist was sweet and personable.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

I waited to see this specialist who I thought could provide answers to a skin issue. I was 15 minutes early and completed all the forms they require. However, I waited 45 minutes past my appointment time before I was seen by Dr. Poelman. She sat on her chair the whole time I was in her office (less than 10 minutes in total) and just stared at her computer monitor, typing in the minimal information required in order for her to bill her fee, shameful. Then, she proceeded to misdiagnose my condition and prescribed a cream for a condition I don't have. I waited in the waiting room 45 minutes past my appointment time for that? I wonder how much time she billed Alberta Health for seeing me under ten minutes. Unprofessional, cold, and unethical. She basically saw me for under 10 minutes, billed the health care system for a full appointment, and quickly rushed us out of her office without even answering my questions and carefully diagnosing my condition. This clinic double-books appointments, makes people wait 45 minutes past their appointment time, and then spends little time with each patient (5 to 10 minutes). It's all about maximizing profit at the expense of quality care. Indeed, in many cases I've read here it seems patients are actually being harmed not helped. What happened to primum non nocere, “first, do no harm” ?

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Ruined my life!! Prescrpied me accutane for mild acne 10mg for a year. When I complained about redness she said it would go away when I stopped. The redness got worse and worse until now which is completely dibilating and my face is flushed and burning 24hrs a day. I regret ever meeting her

flag | Submitted June 6, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Poelman, all the staff is very friendly, I've never had to wait more than 20 mins (which wasn't often). I had a complicated type of skin Cancer that I've had for years that she diagnosed. She sent it down to the US, had me appear before her monthly peer review group. I always feel she is doing everything she can to get answers for me. I feel very blessed to have her as my doctor.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

After much confusion with my referral to Dr. Poelman I finally got to see her after 6 months of waiting, and I am so glad I waited. She is so incredibly knowledgable and is truly such a kind and wonderful woman. My mom came to every appointment with me and she made us both feel like she was going to take care of us and get me through what was going on. She is very confident in her knowledge and it's a blessing that I was able to see her instead of seeing another dermatologist. I now live in Lethbridge and drive up for my appointments with Dr. Poelman. She took my not so good situation and helped me feel confident with the treatment we both felt good about as well as took the time to answer all my questions. I will always chose to see Dr. Poelman she is extremely good at what she does.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017