Ratings for Dr. Susan Poelman

I have been with Dr.Poelman for two years, unlike other people I have no problems with her clinic. I never have to wait too long for my appointment. She is the only one who has really helped me with my psoriasis in fifty four years and treats me with great respect. She is so very knowledgable , the staff are adorable. Thank you all so much for your help and politeness .

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

This doctor did her job in a perfunctory manner, quickly, in an assembly line manner. No interpersonal connection was possible. I had the impression, if I ask questions, she would tell me to pipe down. Soon everything was delegated to the nurse. Then the nurse started her monologue about further treatment. I interjected with a couple of questions while she was exhaling. I was told in no uncertain terms that I must wait until the monologue was over. I felt like a scolded school kid. Later this year I have to return for more treatment, but will do so with reluctance and fear. I felt intimidated. This doctor and nurse either have no innate respect for elderly men, or maybe, they have a bias because of my heavy foreign accent. Something is not right here. However, the receptionist was sweet and personable.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

I waited to see this specialist who I thought could provide answers to a skin issue. I was 15 minutes early and completed all the forms they require. However, I waited 45 minutes past my appointment time before I was seen by Dr. Poelman. She sat on her chair the whole time I was in her office (less than 10 minutes in total) and just stared at her computer monitor, typing in the minimal information required in order for her to bill her fee, shameful. Then, she proceeded to misdiagnose my condition and prescribed a cream for a condition I don't have. I waited in the waiting room 45 minutes past my appointment time for that? I wonder how much time she billed Alberta Health for seeing me under ten minutes. Unprofessional, cold, and unethical. She basically saw me for under 10 minutes, billed the health care system for a full appointment, and quickly rushed us out of her office without even answering my questions and carefully diagnosing my condition. This clinic double-books appointments, makes people wait 45 minutes past their appointment time, and then spends little time with each patient (5 to 10 minutes). It's all about maximizing profit at the expense of quality care. Indeed, in many cases I've read here it seems patients are actually being harmed not helped. What happened to primum non nocere, “first, do no harm” ?

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Ruined my life!! Prescrpied me accutane for mild acne 10mg for a year. When I complained about redness she said it would go away when I stopped. The redness got worse and worse until now which is completely dibilating and my face is flushed and burning 24hrs a day. I regret ever meeting her

flag | Submitted June 6, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Poelman, all the staff is very friendly, I've never had to wait more than 20 mins (which wasn't often). I had a complicated type of skin Cancer that I've had for years that she diagnosed. She sent it down to the US, had me appear before her monthly peer review group. I always feel she is doing everything she can to get answers for me. I feel very blessed to have her as my doctor.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

After much confusion with my referral to Dr. Poelman I finally got to see her after 6 months of waiting, and I am so glad I waited. She is so incredibly knowledgable and is truly such a kind and wonderful woman. My mom came to every appointment with me and she made us both feel like she was going to take care of us and get me through what was going on. She is very confident in her knowledge and it's a blessing that I was able to see her instead of seeing another dermatologist. I now live in Lethbridge and drive up for my appointments with Dr. Poelman. She took my not so good situation and helped me feel confident with the treatment we both felt good about as well as took the time to answer all my questions. I will always chose to see Dr. Poelman she is extremely good at what she does.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

I was referred to Poelman by my family doctor to have a Cyst removed as it was on my scalp and she could probably do it (due to her experience) without needing to shave my hair etc. Poelman informed me it would not be covered by Alberta Health and I ended up paying $300 only to return to my doctor to find out they would have done it for free and he was extremely surprised to find they charged at all. I shall not be returning

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

After waiting 6 months to see another dermatologist Dr. Poelman heard about the long wait and got me in right away. She was thorough and extremely knowledgeable about skin cancer and put my mind at ease. I recently lost a friend to melanoma and so to have such an excellent, caring Physcian see me and care is very much appreciated! I would highly recommend Dr. Poelman!!

flag | Submitted February 7, 2017

I was referred to Dr, Poelman. I went and had to wait at least a half hour past my scheduled appointment time. Finally when I saw her she had no answers as to why I had chronic acne. She prescribed for me a blood pressure medicine that had a proven side effect of clearing up acne. I started the drug and it helped a bit but not significant improvement. Six month later I went back to her for a boil on my inner leg that refused to clear up. But while waiting for her I saw a brochure about a skin condition and put it in my purse to read later. The treatment she suggested was a cortozol injection right into the area of the boil. Although I explained to her that actually cutting into it and getting it to drain was historically the best way to proceed. I paid the $52.50 for the injection. When at home I read the brochure and realized that this brochure was talking about the exact symptoms I had. I began doing research and realized that this is exactly what has been plaguing me for my entire life. What I need to understand is why did Dr Poelman not make the diagnosis for me at that time? And the result of the cortisol injection is a large dark brown spot that has never cleared up after 6 months and is still there to this day. I have since seen another specialist in dermatology who has diagnosed me with the exact same skin condition as in that brochure and has recommended me to see a plastic surgeon in hopes of repairing the damage the cortisol injection did. So I do not recommend seeing Dr Poelman as the impression I got was that she mostly wanted me to buy very expensive creams and washes for my acne and really didn't want to get to the underlying real issue. And now I have this spot that is dark and horrible looking which won't go away. Not happy with the treatment I received and won't go back.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

I have been bringing my daughter to Dr. Poelman for quite some time. Can I just say that she's wonderful, and that I absolutely LOVE the curly-haired girl that works there? She's always helpful, always smiling, and even when I'm waiting for my appointment I've seen her interact with some older patients - always so kind. The treatment my daughter receives from Dr. Poelman is great; I highly recommend her!

flag | Submitted October 17, 2016