Ratings for Dr. Carlo Panaro

Dr. Panero is fantastic. He tells you like it is if you have any questions, ask. As for the wait in his clinic. Yes it sucks. Minimum 45 minutes i have waited. Maximum wait was 2 hours. But we are not all in there for the same reason. Each patient takes a different amount of time and care. We have all lived in ridiculous pain and discomfort and a little wait time isn’t the end of the world. As a doctor, he is my most favourite. After seeing so many different ones telling me there was nothing they could do, I had no trust left in any other doctor until I met him. I couldn’t take my kids for walks. Couldn’t get down on the floor and play with them. Let alone go to the park. After my PAO on both sides, I can beat a few of my kids in races haha. Pain free (almost) and living life better than I ever have. He’s fantastic. Be patient with his clinics. And if you feel he gives you a short bout of information, ask your questions. I assure you, he will give you any answer your looking for

flag | Submitted December 8, 2017

My wife needed a couple of new knees. Took forever to get to the surgeon, but once in to the Health Care system - fantastic!! Took almost 18 months to get to the actual surgery - I still have a problem with our archaic medical system. Seems to me that those who can afford to pay ought to have that option to get in faster, which would take the load off the "single payer system" speeding everyone up getting access. Anyway - once we met Dr. Panaro (former Edmonton Eskimos player and current team doctor) we were sold. He can be a little quiet, but once you get him going a little, he's fun. The surgery was perfect, my wife was walking in a couple of days, so we are now in the line up for the second knee. The new hip and knee standalone clinic at the Royal Alex is an outstanding facility, everyone knows what they are doing from what I saw, the care and attention my wife received was wonderful. If you can hack the wait, I can't imagine how much better a facility and doctors could be. Now if we could just tighten up the front end so that wait times are way more reasonable. A public/private option has to be better than what we have, and I am not buying that all doctors are entrepreneurs and so would abandon the public system. That doesn't happen in any other profession, why would it happen here. Just means more doctors. This is a beautiful Province - imagine a for-profit surgery facility with the world-class Docs we have. But I can't recommend Dr. Panaro and his staff enough. Great people. My wife loves the guy.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

After finally getting an appointment for my hip, I made the five hour drive to his office in Edmonton. 75 minutes after my appointment time, he came into my room and was looking for his example he uses to explain orthopaedic issues (for another patient). He showed up to my exam about 15 minutes later. So after 90 minutes, I was finally was graced with his presence. He explained that my issues were likely more related to my back (which I'm now having surgery on from another surgeon). By this point, I had a diagnosed impingement and the onset of osteoarthritis, with noticeable bone spurs in my hip. His plan was to give me a cortisone mixture of injections in my back and hip to attempt to isolate the majority of the issue. With no explanation or further information, I was left in the room and told to see the receptionist. I got a total of seven minutes of his time. His receptionist said I'd have to go to another appointment at a different clinic in Edmonton and that it would likely take months to get in. I asked if I could have it done where I live instead of another five hour drive, where I wouldn't be able to drive back home for a day or two due to the injections (driving causes me excruciating pain after short periods). It was like I asked her for a kidney. She was condescending afterward and it was clear that my time and pain meant nothing to her. I certainly hope my back surgery takes care of most of my pain, because I'm not sure that I would be comfortable going back to this clinic. It's clear that the pain, time and questions of their patients means nothing to them.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2017

Did a great job on my foot. Very respectful and informative. He seemed to treat all patients in clinic with the same care. The clinic however is a zoo, too many patients, expect to wait minimum 30 mins up to 2 hours. Bring a coffee bring a book. As well as scheduled patients emergency cases are sometimes brought in. He is excellent as a surgeon and with aftercare.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2017

Dr. Panaro is a great doctor. He listening and explain thing to you. Great bedside manners. Would recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Great experience!! He really listens, has a kind demeanour, and I'd recommend him to anyone! Surgery went great, recovery was a breeze, and now on to physio. Will definitely go back to him for future surgeries :).

flag | Submitted July 5, 2017

I'm a 47 female with a trauma to my femur. Plated the length of my femur, with 9 pins ... I'm in what I hope to be, the almost last stage of recovery. I couldn't be in this place without this surgeon. My leg was a mess but he's pieced it back together with precision. My surgery was in mid Sept and I've attended his busy clinic at least 7x, with one appt being made the day prior. I was completely off pain meds 9 days after surgery, my scarring is definite but minimal. I'm walking with a cane now as last stages of recovery take place. I'm working 20 hrs a week. I'm back driving! My life is slowly coming back to me. I'm not going to pin this all on Panaro because I have an awesome team of supports and I've tried what he asks and expects. But I am going to say he's given me THE best shot with his talent, knowledge, compassion and follow-ups. He is a busy man but communicates well and is respectful. I am forever grateful that he's been the lead of the team that handles my care and recovery. I've only had to phone his office once and my question was communicated to him right away with an answer back within a few minutes, it was pleasant and short. I'm an Alpha so it was incredibly tough for me to hand him the reins on my leg, but he's the expert in terms of me getting full recovery, simply put. I'm fortunate and def not taking him for granted. If you attend your appts, listen, communicate, take responsibility for your efforts, and try what he asks, you're in the best hands. For my particular injury, he's been a Rock Star and I'm humbled by it all. Thank you Team Panaro! 💚

flag | Submitted June 10, 2017

There is some brevity with Dr. Panaro, but if you ask questions he listens and gives answers. Had a labral tear of the hip and he was my surgeon, he also diagnosed me correctly when another specialist could not. I found him very knowledgeable, I felt like I was in good hands. It's been over six months since the operation and my pain is gone, having the operation changed my life. The nurse who took out my surgery staples was excellent, 10/10. But his administrative staff was terrible. They gave me incorrect fasting information (the hospital nurse who corrected me on the fasting was furious when they found out where I got my misinformation) and that's just so irresponsible. Once I did not see him until TWO HOURS after the scheduled appointment time. Always late, even by Doctor standards. It got to the point where when I had to see him I would block off the entire afternoon or morning from work. Time is a finite resource, and it's a shame the time of the patients is not respected. Summary: Great surgeon. Good nursing staff. Poor Administrative staff. Horrible punctually, likely due to having poor administrative staff.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

"Not very talkative or explanatory." Well that tells you right there that something is wrong. Either does not know the answer or is being evasive so the patient does not catch the doctor's mistakes. All good surgeons have both good technique AND good 'bedside manner'.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

Had a knee replaced and Panaro, although not very talkative and/or explanatory, appears to have done an excellent job. I expect a methodical, competent, knowledgeable surgeon and I got exactly what I wanted. I actually appreciated the absence of any bedside rhetoric. On the other hand, his office staff are the worst I've EVER had the misfortune of having to deal with. Seems that every organization has a "Trish" but she takes arrogance and just plain snottiness to a whole new level. She needs to learn that, like her lot in life or not, she US A RECEPTIONIST and not the surgeon. I can't belief a terrific surgeon would employ such a hag. The nurse, Daralyn is only a step better, much more polished communication skills but the queen of misdirection....she's teflon. If you can get her to return a message you will have wished she hadn't. All she does is condescend, constantly scold you, defer everything back to you or your GP. I despise being forced to even have to speak to either of these substandard - mean spirited - administrators. Unfortunately, the competance of the surgeon makes it a necessity.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2017