Ratings for Dr. Bonaventure Lena

I am a medical student who needed a psychiatrist. This man is awful. He prescribed me too high of a dose (a dose not recommended due to potential cardiac side effects). When I told this to my family GP she was shocked. He also was extremely late all the time. When I tried to book a Friday appointment, his staff was gracious enough to tell me not to do that, since he always just cancels his Friday appointments. Not sure if this guy is fee for service or salaried, but if he's salaried and cancelling appointments for people who desperately need them, shame on him. Fortunately I was able to switch psychiatrists and get a good one which does make all the difference. I'm not a big fan of people who shop for doctors, but I must say it is important in psychiatry because it usually helps a lot to have a good one. My advice is to stay away from this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

I made an appointment to get papers filled and said I would also like to talk about my prescription. I came in early and he talked to me briefly about my current prescription and offered to change it with a 10-day sample. This was about 5 minutes in, after which I pulled out the papers I came in for and asked if he could fill them, to which he asked if it was urgent and I said "this is what I made the appointment for" and he told me to come back next week. By the time I left, my appointment hadn't even started. The most impersonal, selfish and careless doctor I have ever encountered. Will be firing him and finding a new one.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I think he's great. He saved my life. Yes, he's tardy, but he listens and is committed to his patients. The other comments should have little weight considering these people are already anxious and paranoid. There's no making them happy.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

He thought it was a good idea as soon as he started seeing me to take me off a very high dose of clonazepam I was taking cold turkey, I can probably say that I am thankful I didnt die.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

Okay everyone needs to chill with these negative comments, he's actually not that bad. He's a nice guy once you get to know him, at first he does come off as a bit intimidating but he's a really nice person. He has filled so much paperwork for me and is always very empathetic. I think why some people don't like him is that he's just straightforward and a bit old fashioned. In terms of waiting times I've never had to wait too long he sees me right at the time of my appointment.

Submitted November 17, 2016

Today he arrived 30min after the time of my appointment and took me in 1h late. He didn't apologized in the least. I have been seeing Dr Lena for about 6months. It also took the university so long to appointment me a doctor that when i first met him, i was already in remission. And maybe it was a good thing after all, because i wouldnt have trusted this man to help with my moody hopless depressive self. For anyone out there who really need someone to talk to, he isnt that someone. He doesn't give you advise other than "go do aerobic activities" or "drink more water" which is good i guess, but Google could tell me that. That being said, he helped me with paper work and meds, even though sometimes i feel like he is trying a bit to push it on me. With me he hasnt been a terrible doctor, not as terrible as i am reading in the comments at least, but I think its partially due to the fact that as of now im more or less mentally stable. If you need a doc to prescribes you the med you need, and to do the medical notes you need, he is your guy... if you're looking for more, i dont know if he can help you much.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2016

Terrible doctor. probably takes bribes from pharmaceutical companies. prescribes meds without thinking of consequences. doesn't even look at your clinic history or co-existing conditions, when prescribing psychiatric medications.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

I agree with all the comments below. Dr. Lena should not deal with people, he should be doing clinical studies in a sterile environment because he is a Germophobe who probably despises his clients and gives them meds to shut them up. It worked, I have what I wanted but from comments I read he is probably getting kickbacks from Wellbutrin because that drug is old school, maybe he had his reasons, but if he had bothered to read my chart, from my family doc he would have known my mom called the clinic worried about my drinking. The only questions he bothered to ask me were how are things going and how was my sex life, had it changed!!! Every time! Wouldn't touch my i ID, the door or anything without a Kleenex. Papers shambled in his desk always, messed up dosage and refills more than once, always late, and the worst part insisted on monthly visits that I told him were super inconvenient for me since I work in Orleans. That we're nothing more than a messed up script. The kicker, I ran out he was on vacation, no fax answered, what kind of DR wouldn't take something like that into account! Then he fired me because I missed 2 MONTHLY appointments in 2 years because I was stuck in traffic after waited over an hour each visit for him. This guy I say again should be in research, he knows his shit but has no clue about people or cares about them.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2015

He's really not that great... He's always half an hour late and he gave me a dianosis way too quickly after which he started prescribing one medication after another. Some of the comments I read bellow said that that's why pshychiatrists do. Yes BUT it's not the ONLY thing they do. Medication is one of many things they can do to help patients. He's just a little quicker on the trigger than others. The one thing that frustrated me the most with him though was especially that he wouldn't prescribe me the medication he was so quick to decide I needed unless I was in school. As if I only need it for school... Do I not have to function the rest of the time too? Like at work and for day to day activities? Life doesn't stop from April to August you know... I also tried asking him some tips and trinks for other things I could do on top of taking the medication and he gave me a very brief and far from helpful answer. I found more information on the internet than from him. On an unrelated note, his office should play soft music in the waiting room. It's awkwardly silent in there with lots of echo because it's so quiet. The slightest noise seems extremely loud which makes waiting half an hour for the unpunctual doctor pretty stressful.

Submitted September 14, 2015

Dr. Lena is one of University of Ottawa's 2 psychiatrists. He is the only one that ever has any recent openings and this is because as soon as you see him, you will never ever want to go back. I don't understand why this man is able to still practice. Major prescription pusher, doesn't listen, can't even bother to read your name off a chart - because he doesn't take notes or chart. He is also extremely moody and asks you to leave his office if you question not wanting to take medications - and literally will intrude on your personal bubble to try to grab you. I do not know how the staff there don't report him - and for that, they do not care about their patient's treatment and should equally have their positions and integrity questioned. This man needs his own Psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2015