Ratings for Dr. Steven Sokolov

2 Hours late. Saw him for less than 30 min. I asked to be taken off one medication while staying on another, his suggestions were the complete opposite. I was also unable to schedule another appointment and told instead to speak to doctor Sokolov again if I was unhappy.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

He's a brilliant physician with an incomparable knowledge of medications and the connections to get you additional help if it falls outside his area of expertise. He's not warm and fuzzy but he genuinely does care about his patients. Most of his consults are 20-minute visits to optimize medication; it's not psychotherapy and he doesn't pretend it is. I've seen him for several years and he's always been prompt in his responses and willing to advocate for my care, sometimes in urgent situations. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

I cannot believe all of the negative comments I see posted about Dr. Sokolov. He is a brilliant doctor and he saved my life. He is an expert in the mental illness field and I wouldn't trust any other physician. Although he may have a timid demeanour, he does care and goes the extra mile. He hasn't been my doctor for at least 6-7 years now, but once in a while I do email him with urgent questions and I always receive a response within a few minutes. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

I saw him twice, First medication didn't work well for me. I had to be reassessed. He is willing to listen and comment,

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017

This man is a grotesque misogynistic pig with an appalling lack of professional and character integrity. He has no business working with anyone in the mental health field, as he is perversely abusive, deranged, and devoid of human empathy. Avoid at all costs.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

This guy is rude, rushed off his feet all the time, and sometimes looks disheveled. Makes me wonder if maybe he needs to prescribe some pills to himself to chill out and calm down. No thanks, I moved on.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

His role is as a consulting specialist to determine what medication options would be appropriate for your diagnosis. He will review standardized tests that you fill out, confirm or change your diagnosis based on the information you provide and his many years of experience. He is not there to coddle you, make you feel comfortable to the point of wanting to share or any of the other nonsense I've read on this page. If you are lucky enough to get an appointment, go in prepared to dump your psychiatric history and answer a lot of questions. This is not some game of "how does that make you feel" and patting you on the head or getting to know each other. You get one appointment for an assessment, usually because your GP or psychiatrist is stumped as to what to prescribe to help you or they are concerned that you have been mis-diagnosed. A lot of people would save themselves a lot of heartache if they went in to this type of an appointment with a realistic expectation of how it will go and what the purpose of the visit it. If you are not willing to take meds, don't bother showing up. If you want a tour of CAMH or info on what's available, call the front desk and ask to speak to someone or get on the website. He is a neuropsychiatrist specializing in diagnostics and medication of mood and anxiety disorders. I have seen him a few times over the years when my medication has not been as effective as it could be and he has ALWAYS been respectful and thorough and made solid recommendations. He sends a letter back to your doctor outlining your medication options. When my wife went to see him for difficulty finding the right anti-depressant, he was also very thorough and addressed the history of bipolar in her family and suggested that genetically she may respond to the addition of a drug that was often used to treat mood swings. It was NOT lithium. The drug worked wonders. Thanks to him she is on the right "cocktail" and has been much better the last few years. The difference is night and day. We have both gone in with the expectation that all we are getting is a medication consultation, and we have both come out satisfied with our appointments. We simply sit and wait for him to ask questions, we don't bombard him with our life stories. He always suggests that you bring someone with you that knows you well. We always go together since we know each other best, and he asks each of us questions about the other's behaviour. He always says that we are welcome to return at anytime if we should run into difficulties again, offers to explain how the medications work and what to expect, and within 1 month a letter is at our GP's office outlining his treatment suggestions. I've seen him have a sense of humour and seen him display compassion when appropriate. I am seriously concerned by the negativity complaining that he's not friendly enough and not helping people be comfortable enough. People need to look at their own behaviours and consider how they are impacting their interactions with medical professionals. If you go in there all over the place, he will set you straight because he has a limited amount of time to gather an incredible amount of information and make very serious decisions. Please, if you need help with medication and you are at the end of your rope trying different things your GP has suggested, don't be afraid to go and see him. He will be respectful and considerate and most importantly, he will get to the bottom of what is really going on with you. Anyone ticked off that they didn't get the label they wanted has some serious problems that no doctor can help.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

TERRIBLE. Can't say enough bad things. Should lose his license to practice. Admitted me to the wrong program after months of waiting, refused to even answer any calls from my Doctor or e-mails from me regarding the matter for weeks, offered no assistance in getting me help- in fact, told me that I should go to the Emergency room if I was 'sick'. Ironically enough, it was through the emergency room that I was referred to Dr. Sokolov, via CAMH, who was supposed to help me get into a program of care. So this is how the cycle of mental health happens. Would love to hear the stories from his patients who don't have the will, or the ability, to speak up and I wonder how many people have ended up in the emergency room as a result of his malpractice? Less than no help. I'm in the same place I was eight months ago when I was admitted to the ER, except now I've had the benefit of his pejorative 'counselling'. Awesome, thanks Dr. Sokolov. You're a real prince.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

Friendly, approachable, not stuffy. Even ready to listen to a joke and appreciate it.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2015

Doctors of all specialties are challenged with expectations of fast paced care. Dr. Sokolov has impressed me as knowing how to get the most out of his time to benefit the patient. He is quick with resources, referrals, and open minded. He appears keenly intelligent and I suspect he is good at making timely adjustments. These are the crucial elements of this service. Psychiatry is not therapy, and I urge anyone unsatisfied with his interpersonal affect to seek out a Psychotherapist to compliment his form of help with mental health issues. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2015