Ratings for Dr. Charles A. Cooper

I was a patient of Dr. Charles Cooper in the late 90's/early 2000's. I was an adult patient with strabismus, having only had surgery as a toddler and over time, as these things happen, my alignment failed. To keep this as succinct as possible - he felt he could operate to improve my alignment. He never ever ever told me there was a chance he could make it worse. In the first surgery, or post-op, the muscle was lost, unbeknownst to him. In the second surgery, I believe he re-attached scar tissue, and the third (yes, I was that dumb to let him operate on me a third time) I don't know what he did. After several months off of surgical procedures to try to recuperate, I went to one of the premier opthalmology centers in the area. They agreed to operate and found that the muscle wasn't attached at all. They did their best, but it required an MRI to find it, a second surgery with an orbital surgeon to local the muscle and lots of work to reattach my muscle. And yet, years later my traumatized muscle thinned and stretched require yet another surgery. My eye looks like frankenstein, still, all these years later. And my alignment is not visually better than before I saw Dr. Cooper. At least at that point I could make them straight based upon eye dominance, now they are not straight regardless of which eye I use dominantly. I also experienced double vision post-operatively as the alignment, was at times, so bad that my brain didn't know what to do with the vastly different images it was receiving. I still experience this during extreme fatique, today. Every pre-op appointment I had at this other center included "And you realize this may not improve and could make it worse." I wanted to cry. If only I had been told that in the first place. Now I don't even like to make eye contact with people and try to wear sunglasses as much as possible, socially. I regret allowing him to operate on me. I suffer every day for what happened to me here. I look like a freak with my crooked eyes, it is too tiring to drive or read for very long. I am looking at spending hundreds on vision therapy to grasp at straws to try help me, and likely still another 8th surgery after that. I.Suffer.Every.Day. I was better off before I let him operate on me. Need I say more?

flag | Submitted August 27, 2014

I do not know how he is with adults, but in my opinion this doctor REALLY should not be working with kids. NOT a kid friendly office and he has no bedside manner with children. The front desk was just as bad. I will NOT be going back.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2012

Dr Cooper has been a God send for our daughter. Our young daughter experienced a serious issue with her eye; Dr Cooper quickly diagnosed the problem, treated her immediately via surgery. He was and continues providing patient and professional care. We cannot express in words our appreciation. Also note, Dr Cooper was not the first Dr. we sought advise and treatment from for our daughter's eyes. His staff is professional, efficient and prompt.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2011

Run, don't walk out of his office. He is so rude and uncaring. He has no business working with children. He yelled at my daughter because she was scared. We ended up walking out of his office. My daughter was scared of him and he was so rude to both of us. The wait time (over an hour) is horrible, yet when I asked if I could take my daughter outside in the court yard to run around while we wait, they said I would lose my appointment. They couldn't just open the door and tell me he was ready? He was the one who was late! We ended up waiting, while she got cranky. She was not happy when she saw him and was scared and he would yell at me to control her and that he can't work with kids like that. Like what? He is a rude, mean person.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2011

I have never had a problem with Dr. Cooper or his office staff. He has been nothing but professional and courteous to me, my elderly mother, and my children (even when they were young)! Office staff is well-managed and efficient.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2009

Dr. Cooper has been nothing but profession to my daughter and myself. Always helpful and takes him time with us. I would recommend him.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2008

Dr. Cooper is so rude. The office staff is not flexible either. They have a "no food or drink" policy, which includes babies. They would not allow me to feed my baby or take her outside to feed her. They told me I would lose my appointment if I did that. Then, Dr. Cooper yelled at me for bringing my baby to the appointment. He is a not a nice person. I will never step foot in that office again. It is not a kid friendly office. He was mean to my children. He should not be working with kids.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2008

Dr. Charles A. Cooper's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• University Of California, Irvine, California College Of Medicine (Grad. 1980)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal