Ratings for Dr. Karen R. Abbott

Absolutely terrible experience with this office. I originally called to get a procedure done in April, and it's now July and I still have had no success. They claimed that they were waiting on my insurance to approve a prescription, even though I had called my insurance and they said they never received contact from their office. I offered to pay for the procedure out of pocket and get reimbursed by my insurance, myself, to no avail. Every time I called, they said they would call me back shortly with more information; however, the only contact I received from them was to cancel my first appointment. Any communication after that was initiated by me, and usually after one and a half weeks of waiting for a call from them. I can't rate their care, because after almost 3 months of waiting, I've decided to find a doctor's office which is competent.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

I'm not one to complain. But i have had awful experiences at Athena Gynecology. I was pleased at first with the friendly staff and small, comfortable environment of the office. However, my happiness with the office was very short lived after I never got a call back regarding my diagnosis. I called the office about 4 times. I was told twice by nurses that I was fine and they had nothing but good news. I wanted to speak to Dr Abbott just to make sure everything else was all good, but once I FINALLY got a hold of the doctor, I was informed that I was actually not fine and that my condition was urgent. This was shattering to me as I was told before that I was fine, and that I was never even contacted with this info. When I told Dr Abbott about the false information given to me TWICE, she literally didn't acknowledge my statement at all, and started to talk about something else. She also had no concern over my ongoing health issues and has seemed in a hurry to get out every time I have an appointment. This is hugely disappointing, especially considering the sensitive nature of her field.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2015

My first visit was today with Dr. Abbott. My visit had me ready to break down in tears just walking through the door. The staff who greeted me were very friendly, efficient and all smiles. Barely waited any time at all and was taken to a room. Dr. Abbott then sat and talked to me about why I was there. Actually discussed things with me! I expressed how upset I was and in return she met my feelings with care and humor. As I'm sitting there ready to break down-she and her staff had me smiling and laughing. During the exam she made sure I knew what she was doing and gently explained her plan of action for treatment. She was patient and listened when I threw out there what I thought she should do (it was my own wishful thinking haha). I felt like I was talking to a good friend. Very easy going and knowledgeable. I am so blessed to have found her and her staff. Never do reviews.....but then I have never had such a great doctor visit!

flag | Submitted July 9, 2014

Her staff lied when they said that medicare and our secondary insurance will reimburse her fees 100% . I was out $838.00 at the end of treatment and her response was opps too bad and I couldn,t care less.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2013

Do not believe her when she says Medicare and the supplemental insurance will reimburse 100% of the upfront payments . We are $909 in the hole.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2013

Dr. Karen Abbott is an Angel!!She has saved my life many times with surgery. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, after Dr. Abbott moved to Reno, I had many years of looking for a new doctor. No one compares and I now go to Reno. I would recommend her to everyone I love.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2011

Dr. Abbott performed surgery on me in 2008. She is very professional, knowledgeable, and skilled. She's very caring and on top of things. Per my recommendation, my sister-in-law had surgery this year and was very happy too. Lastly, she is on the cutting edge of technology which translates into less pain and faster recovery time. I'd recommend her highly.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2010

Dr. Abbott was my doctor for my second pregnancy and for a few years after that until she relocated. She is a fantastic doctor, totally caring and can make even the dreaded OB/GYN appt comfortable. She always could make me laugh and was so wonderful during delivery. I just wish she was back in Daly City.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2009

I had been to five physicians and three surgeries over a ten year period with pelvic pain and no success. The last surgery left me in worse condition. My life was coming apart. Then a friend recommended Dr. Karen Abbott. On my first visit with her she spent over an hour LISTENING to me and examination. No doctor had ever taken this much time with me. Subsequently, she determined my problem and corrected it laparoscopically. Thanks to her I have my marriage back and a new life. She is an Angel.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2007

Karen Abbott was untruthful regarding a number of issues, however she did admit that she tore my colon during a hysterectomy, but stated she had stitched it and it was only a partial thickness tear. Several days after surgery, I developed high fever and intense pain. Repeated calls to her office resulted in only a relayed message to take more narcotic pain meds. I required urgent surgery to repair the damage and was very ill for months. The only contact from her was additional bills, despite the fact that she had been paid more than the price her office had given me. She did not know if she had removed my ovaries or not. She was not truthful regarding policy for videotaping procedures, and became very angry when confronted with her dishonesty.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2006

Dr. Karen R. Abbott's Credentials

• University Of California, Davis School Of Medicine (Grad. 1976)