Ratings for Dr. Itoro E. Ibia

At first I thought Dr. Ibia was on the right tract with changes in my meds, but my trust level declined steadily the longer I saw her. She does not accurately document discussions & agreed upon strategies, leading to confusion, distrust, and stalling patient progress. She is very slow to return voice mails and emails, even when it involves medication refills. She did not follow through on consultation with my therapist as promised. She became very defensive when reminded of the things she said she would do, but didn't, and even tried more than once to place the blame on the patient. Unconscionable. I am once again forced to find yet another psychiatrist....really not what I need right now.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2016

Dr. Ibia is incredibly arrogant and defensive. When you advocate for yourself she feels threatened and becomes condescending. I'm alcoholic and bipolar and she completely missed the mark on telling me she would put me on Naltrexone until I was sober for 6 months. How misinformed and dangerously wrong she was to impose this approach. Naltrexone is a savior to the vast majority of alcoholics looking to reduce cravings while educating themselves on relapse prevention and/or 12 Step principles. She fired me for disagreeing with her. In grateful she did because my new doctor got me on Naltrexone and within one month I had stopped drinking and have been sober ever since. Dr. Ibia's arrogance is a major red flag. Beware unless you are a shrinking violet that doesn't mind a doctor that forces her will on patients who are uneducated or too timid to take an active role in their treatment.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

Dr. Ibia has been nothing but wonderful. When i first came to her i was a wreck, depressed, suicidal, anxious, angry, the works. She diagnosed me with a few different things. At first me and my family were a bit reluctant to believe the diagnoses (no one necessarily wants to believe that they are bipolar). After trying many different medications, and many therapy sessions i can happily say that i have never felt this normal. Dr. Ibia has shown that she not only knows what she is doing, but that she genuinely cares about my well being. She is easy to get along with and i always look forward to my sessions with her. I cant thank her enough for the effort that she has put into my recovery (and i would assume that my family thinks the same). I would recommend her to anyone inquiring about psychiatrists. And i would absolutely not be where i am if it wasn't for her.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2015

Dr. Ibia is knowledgeable, thoughtful and very kind. However, she decided not to keep treating me (tactfully enough) when I didn't do well on a certain drug and wouldn't take it. That's the only time such a thing has happened to me. That being said, I'd still recommend giving her a try, as I did truly like and appreciate her.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2015

I've had four psychiatrists and two therapists since I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 1999. Dr. Ibia is by orders of magnitude the best psychiatrist I've ever had. She's a psychiatrist, not a therapist, but she talks to me! And she listens! She has told me things about the meds I've been on for 16 years that I never learned in the 12 years I was on them before beginning to work with her - about interactions with OTC drugs and possible long-term side-effects - and she is extremely diligent about monitoring for these effects via asking questions and ordering regular blood tests. Dr. Ibia asks incisive questions about my life to determine whether anything medically significant is going on, while at the same time being warm, supportive, and nonjudgmental. Her stated goal is to keep me in a place where my symptoms are being managed - not just where I'm surviving them - and she strikes what I perceive to be an excellent balance in being willing to "tweak" my meds to deal with changes in my mental health, without reaching for drugs as a solution to everything. She is competent and caring and extremely concerned that I am getting the most helpful care possible. Possibly the best doctor - not just psychiatrist - I've ever had.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

Dr. Ibia greeted me a few minutes before my appointment to let me know that she was running "a few minutes" behind. Twenty minutes after my appointment should have begun, I still had not been seen. I knocked on her door to ask how much longer I should expect to wait. She told me 5 minutes, which was accurate. When I was finally seen, I expressed to her in a serious but not disrespectful tone that I felt she was rude and unprofessional to make me wait 25 minutes, especially during a work day, to see her, she responded by telling me that it was "customary" for her to run behind regularly and pointed to notices on her corkboard expressing such sentiments. She proceeded to bring up my "irritability" about being made to wait three more times during our consultation (did I mention that this was the first time I was seeing her?), postulating that I was in the wrong for feeling the way I did. Agree with the reviewers about Dr. Ibia jumping to bipolar disorder.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2013

Ive been seeing Dr. Ibia almost 8 years - since my previous doctor and I mutally (and amicably) fired each other over differing opinions on how to medicate during my pregnancy. She promised we could find a way to work together and we have. Yes, I would agree that she's a medication doctor. Sometimes that's what someone with a mental illness needs, and if it's not they should probably primarily be seeing a psycologist. She listens to me and helps me keep my costs reasonable, but will insist on visits if she thinks there is a need. Our one post-partum couples councelling did not go well, but I think that was a bias towards the parient she knew. I am not a talk therapy person. The office is small and staffed only by the doctor. If you're willing to use email and text, appointments are easy to make; I have never had it take more than a week and I've had them the next day when I was in need. I don't mind waiting a bit - if she runs over with them that shows she takes the time when needed.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2012

She doesn't listen to you or care about you as a patient or person. She is quick to diagnose you. It seems to her the whole world is bipolar or schizophrenic. She just wants to over medicate you. Worst psychiatrist

flag | Submitted December 15, 2011

My wife saw this hack for 6 months... misdiagnosed her with a mood disorder and proscribed meds that later are part of a huge class action law suit (Quetiapine). She disregarded any clinical warnings about using such drugs with prior TBI history. She is very quick to push mood and personality disorders. I seriously question this practitioners capability or clinical knowledge. See this physician at your own risk. We are considering a malpractice lawsuit. Further get a second opinion if you are a current patient and if she is giving you free meds samples repeatedly you are part of a clinical trial.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2011

This doctor is so quick to diagnose people with bipolar disorder. She didn't really listen to what I had to say. I had postpartum depression and she made me feel like I was a psycho. I found a better psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2011