Ratings for Dr. Karolina Altmann

She is a compassionate doctor, but I often feel like I have to tell her what to do for me as opposed to her telling me what I need. Thankfully, I have a long-standing and stable medical condition, but I would imagine that if I had an unknown condition that I would have little faith in her.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

She is very thorough and caring she investigates ailments and health concerns is professional and very caring

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

I find Dr. Altman to be a caring professional. I too "inherited" Dr. Altman, as I was a former patient of Dr. Anne Bodkin (another excellent, caring physician). I think Dr. Altman errs sometimes on the side of caution, but that is ok with me. I would rather her be like this than negligent and dismissive. If she is not sure of something she will check it out with a specialist. She has called my home on more than one occasion, with concern for my well being. I think she is great and I look forward to many more years under her care.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2016

Dr. Altmann is a TERRIBLE doctor. She refused to help when we were dealing with Black Mold (knowing we'd already moved that year due to unsafe and unhealthy living conditions, and how moving affects my children who have special needs)--"just move" she said, as though that would be a simple thing, having just signed a new lease. She said I "just don't like medications" and "don't want to get better" after I'd tried a dozen meds for anxiety and depression, and one she'd put me on had me agitated, unable to eat and vomiting (and down to 85 pounds). She refused to help with disability forms, bus fare, questions about food intolerances, referrals to pediatricians, among many other things. She'd tell me I was "fine" and my kids were "fine", "normal", "perfect" (and sent us away with no help on countless occasions); between the 3 of us we've had 10 mental health diagnoses. She was rude, cold and ignorant with me and my children. She hurts more than she helps. She should not be practicing medicine.

Submitted January 19, 2016

Dr Altmann was my family doctor for several years. In that time my experience with her was generally good although her lack of knowledge about my specific health issues was a little frustrating, I trusted her and thought we had a good rapport. Over time however she became increasingly dismissive of everything I said. When my daughter was born, and her attitude towards me seemed to change drastically. She became very dismissive of everything I said. She would ask me how I was, then immediately answer her own question before I could say a word telling me "I was just fine" "everything is good yes? good. Fine fine." The last time I saw her I had my then 1 yr old daughter with me. I was there to have some paperwork signed during an after hours clinic that would extent my exemption from looking for work while I was still sick and my ODSP application was still being processed. Since she was well aware of my conditions (all of which are permanent and already diagnosed) I did not expect her having any issues with it. So when she told me that she wouldn't sign these papers again after this time I was really confused, hurt, and I started crying. I said "but these issues are not going away, they're permanent! What do I do in six months if I don't get any better?" At this point she stood up and started yelling at me. She became verbally abusive and demanded I leave her office immediately. I began to pack my things to go as fast as I could (with my infant daughter still in my arms). At this point I was having a pretty severe panic attack. I asked her if I could have a moment to take a few deep breaths (while still packing my things to leave). She said yes and left, but then immediately came back into the room (now screaming) and pointing towards the door saying "no! get out now!" She pointed to the second hand on the clock and said that if I wasn't out of the office within thirty seconds she would call the police. It was incredibly traumatic for me. To this day, I don't understand how or why she reacted this way, and I can't tell the story without breaking down in tears. The way she acted was beyond unprofessional, it was abusive. Thankfully my application for disability had already been submitted, and my specialists had been much more thorough in their investigations. I was approved not only for ODSP but Canadian Disability Pension as well within two weeks. I can only assume she doesn't treat everyone this way or she would have no patients at all. But I hate to think of anyone else having to go through an experience like that at a time when they probably need help the most!

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

Dr. Altmann is a great doctor and we are very lucky to have her! She is always very knowledgeable, conscientious and helpful. Whenever appropriate she sends for specialists/testing.

Submitted April 18, 2015

This doctor ignored my serious symptoms, did not know what was wrong with me, and did not refer me to the Cancer clinic in a timely fashion. I had Stage 4 cancer by the time I saw a specialist. Her judgment may be fine if you have minor problems but in my case her incompetence caused me a lot of suffering. Any doctor can make a mistake, but hers almost cost me my life. When I called the office to ask for help with my symptoms that were becoming worse, my calls were not even returned. I was very lucky to find another doctor who was caring and competent.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2014

My father deals with extreme debilitating pain. He has been seeing specialist and pain management experts for several months. When he needs to see Dr. Altman, she is very difficult to book an appointment with. There is always a very long wait time and she seems to overbook her day. Her bedside manner is nothing to brag about and she has little interest in supporting my father in his quest for a better quality of life. I am a RN and had to tell him what meds he should ask about and what types of interdisciplinary care he could get. (Ie. Physio, Pain management specialist, etc). His tolerance for pain is pretty high and he dislikes taking an abundance of pain medication as he doesn't feel like he is in control of himself and his mind. When pain began to get worse she told him, and I quote, "you cannot come see me everytime you have pain or something new hurts". This is horrible patient care! This isn't a sniffle or an itch! Dr's shouldn't be allowed to speak this way to patients EVER!

flag | Submitted July 28, 2014

Dr Altmann is an excellent doctor! I was a patient of the last doctor at this practice since I was a child before she retired and I had an excellent bond with her. Dr Altmann made the transition easy and comfortable from day one. She has taken a deep "personal" interest in my health as I suffer from very serious depression and anxiety. I never have a problem getting in to see her. When I was having thoughts of suicide she made me promise to call her at any time so she can help me through the rough patches. I felt more supported by her then I did my own family. I have been having neck/shoulder issues and she not only gave me a list of things to start immediately but she booked me with two separate specialists and my appointments were only a couple weeks out. She also called me TWICE at home to follow up and see how I was doing. She has been amazing for me and my children (who also see her) and there is no way I would change her for another family doctor.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2014

Dr. Altmann has been my doctor for 3 1/2 years now, and she is very professional in her diagnosis, and is very friendly and personable, and easy to communicate with when discussing your medical problems...Yes...The wait times are very hard to take, but it`s like that everywhere with such a shortage of dedicated MD`s...TOO Bad about the receptionist and her attitude...Something very wrong there...???

flag | Submitted April 29, 2014