Ratings for Dr. Dawn K. Kuriyama

I was scheduled to see Dr Kuriyama after being a patient of Dr McEwan's for 30 years. I found her policies to be very impersonal and corporate.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2016

Very disappointing. I saw her a first time patient because she took over Dr. McEwan's practice. I found her to be cold and critical. She struck me as insecure and defensive. She treated me like a problem to be solved, not a person. She hardly spoke but when she did, she sounded like she was a lecture out of a textbook--not talking to another human being. She did not listen or ask questions. A family doctor needs to be build rapport with his/her patients and certainly he/she should ask lots of questions when meeting a new patient for the first time. She may be intelligent, but good doctors have good communication skills and are able to put patients at ease and draw them out. Excellent doctors, like Dr. McEwan, actually make patients feel better after meeting with them. Dr. Kuriyama made me feel much, much worse. She came across as uncaring, and I would not feel comfortable working with her again. There were also multiple errors on my chart that she did not catch or ask me about. I had to call her office to correct them. Our family will not be returning.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2015

Great doctor. She was very helpful and took the time to explain things. I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2015

I inherited Dr. Kuriyama because my primary physician retired and he turned all of his patients to her. I am not impressed one bit. She interrupts you when you attempt to discuss your medical problems. I got the feeling that she things she's a know-it-all when in fact, she is mis-informed and old-school, only practices western medicine with lots of drugs and medications. Would not recommend her.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

She does have bedside manner and be dishoest to her patient. hightly recommending do not take her.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

I am a patient of Dr. Kuriyama and I think she is very knowledgeable @ what she does.She has made me realize a lot of things about my health.I have children of own who I am planning to switch them to her because of her expertise. On the previous comments about her bedside manners and her punctuality I disagree because I never had to wait for her and her bedside manners;no complaints. She takes good care of me and I happy she is my pcp.Local girl, local md, knows her stuff.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2014

I was not greeted when I entered the office and the office was a bit old and looked rundown. The Medical Assistant was friendly. The Doctor was very punctual, very friendly, and very knowledgeable with my complaints. I had a few questions about my daughter and she answered them without being rude. I'm now seeing a good specialist that she referred me to and my entire family are now current patients and we only see her. I would and do recommend her to family and friends. I would like to note that after a few visits I noticed that her patients were being seen on time while other sat in the waiting room complaining about their wait.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2014

This dr. is inexperience andno professionalism i'm really sick and she told me to go back to work the next day and the worst thing she told me that everybody needs to work here in Hawaii if she should have known that I hardly call- in in my work. She doesn't even know how I dedicate myself to my work, I was really frustrated. I will never recommend her to anybody who needs medical attention.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2014

If your looking for answers, please do not see this doctor. She is a new and seemed very lost and misinformed when mentioning my medical problem. I need a doctor i can trust, and she seems too young and inexperienced to give out advice. I also agree with the other post, absolutely no bedside manners.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2014

I am in the health profession and now I know how my patients feel when they wait except I was left with just a sheet and a drape to cover my chest while I waited for a half an hour just for her to enter the room. She never apologized for being late and I was already told by the staff she was running on time. She does not have a good bedside manner and should be careful how she says things. She is a very GREEN md. She has A LOT to learn!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2012

Dr. Dawn K. Kuriyama's Credentials

• University Of Hawaii John A. Burns School Of Medicine (Grad. 2009)

Ameritas