Ratings for Dr. Joseph W. Turek

Dr Turek has done all 3 of my sons surgeries and has done an amazing job educating us on the procedures and informing us on our questions. His bed side manner is exactly what you wish for in a doctor and more. He follows up on his patients and the families and is very personable! We would recommend anyone to trust there children in his hands!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

Dr. Turek is an amazing pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon. He has performed 2 open heart surgeries on my daughter and saved her life several times. Whenever a heart family asks for a recommendation, without hesitation, I give them his name. I wouldn't trust anyone else to operate on her heart. His bedside manner and the amount of care and compassion he has for his patients and their families is unsurpassed.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

Dr. Turek assisted with my son's Fontan surgery. We first met Dr. Turek at our pre-op appointment. He helped ease our nerves by explaining the surgery and taking the time to answer all our questions. We felt very confident in his skills after this appointment. Our son's surgery went very well and we continued to be impressed with the care he received post-op. It has been five years since my son's surgery, but Dr. Turek still takes time to say hi and ask how our son is doing whenever we see him.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr Turek is a great dr and surgeon! He cares about his patients and their families! Our daughter had surgery at the age of 2.5 and she says, "I love Dr Turek, he fixed my broken heart!" Out of the mouth of babes!

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr. Turek has done three open heart surgeries on our son: Norwood, Hemi-Fontan and Lateral Tunnel Fontan. He is truly a lifesaver. He remembers every family that he cares for and will go out of his way to ask how they are doing. His skill is amazing but Dr. Turek is more than just our son's heart surgeon. He has become family.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr. Turek was a great surgeon, he made it very easy for us to understand what was going on with our child and explained the whole process to us. He is very caring and answered all of our questions. The best quote came from our daughter after her operation, "I love Dr. Turek! He fixed my broken heart!" Thank you, Dr. Turek, for saving our daughter's life!! We are forever greatful!

flag | Submitted September 3, 2015

Our son has a severe heart defect, HLHS. Dr. Turek successfully performed the Norwood Procedure, the Glenn Procedure, and will soon complete the final stage, the Fontan. My son is eating normally, growing within normal range, and meeting all his developmental milestones. Not only is he a gifted, talented, and brilliant Surgeon, but he truly cares about our son (and all his patients I'm sure). He spends time educating us about our son's defect and recovery plan. I personally like him because I know he is a father himself and therefore has a tender and compassionate approach with these heart kids. We travel to Iowa City from the Des Moines area for these surgeries and it's the best decision we ever made for our child. Dr. Turek has a high-level "system" in place for these heart kids which aids in their recovery and quality of life. When it comes to choosing a Surgeon, trust is everything, and we trust Dr. Turek.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014