Ratings for Dr. Richard A. Miller

I have had severe bad breath since college. A year ago, an attorney in my office asked me out. I was looking forward to going but was afraid my breath would turn him off. I was right. Two days before our date, he left me a note saying that he had changed his mind. I was really distraught. I started going to doctors looking for help. In 3 months I saw my family doctor, a stomach specialist, an ENT, and 3 dentists who said they specialized in bad breath. Nothing. I even went to San Francisco. That dentist sold me an electric toothbrush, a water sprayer, and mouthwash but did nothing else. I was so down, I decided I would just have to live with this monster and give up finding someone. I even went to a psychiatrist who gave me pills for depression. But he also said he had heard of a dentist in Virginia who was curing people with severe bad breath. I called the office and Karin was wonderful. She told me that curing bad breath was all Dr. Miller did. She explained everything but the best thing was that she believed in him so much, she had worked for him for 23 years. I made an appointment right then. I live in Missouri so it was a ways but I had been looking for so long, this was my last hope. Dr. Miller was understanding and kind. He listened to everything I had to say without judgement. I started treatment that day, Monday. By the end of the week I was cured. How did I know? The bad taste was gone. New people I met at the hotel didn’t turn away. Most important, before I saw him I could even smell my own breath. I couldn’t even stand myself! After just 2 treatment sessions that went away. It’s been 6 months since my cure. I just want to say how grateful I am to Dr. Miller. If not for him, I would still be crippled because of my breath. If you are reading this, forget the negative reviews. I don’t know their problem but when I talked to 3 other people in his waiting room, they all told me how he had “saved” their lives. I really believe in Dr. Miller and wish him the best.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2017

My breath problem came to a head about 2 years ago with my husband who was tired of it cropping up so frequently.  I went to the dentist and she didn't notice any issues. This problem caused a lot of stress on my marriage and I am sad to say that my husband decided to move out.   Because this issue had reached a critical stage, I knew I needed an answer.  I started doing some of my own internet research.  This was more confusing than helpful.  For anything that one person said, there were at least three people who said it was the exact opposite.  Use a tongue scraper.  No don't.  It's usually your stomach.  No, it's usually your sinuses.  It was very frustrating. Part of the problem with the internet research is so much of it is from blogs, where anyone can make whatever claim they want without any sort of scientific backing. Finally, I did some more targeted internet research, and found that Dr. Miller was a specialist in this.  I got his book, and it was very helpful.  It was based on research with everything laid out very methodically.  After the holidays, I made an appointment.  Soon after, I began treatment.  I’ll admit, the treatments were not painful, but they were a commitment.  However, they worked!  Within three months and about 8 visits later, my husband, Dr. Miller, and my sister could no longer detect an odor.  It has been two years since the end of my treatment, and I still have no issues.  The ongoing regimen seemed like a lot at first but the cleaning routine became, well, routine, so it doesn’t seem like a big deal anymore.  And I made friends with the dietary restrictions because most of the recommendations are consistent with healthier eating in general.  If this is what gets me to eat healthier, so be it. In just a few months we went from not knowing what to do or where to turn to a complete cure. And now, two years later, I have no odor. My husband moved back in 3 months after I was cured, and we’ve been together ever since. We hope to start a family soon.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

When I saw Dr. Miller, I was 33 years old, single, with a good job. At 29 my breath caused my fiancé to end the engagement. That was a death blow to my confidence. I had a great sales job, but was barely making ends meet. I knew it was my breath. Dr. Miller was kind and caring and easy to trust. After 10 sessions and a fair amount of money I was cured. I was so ecstatic. All was well for about a month and then my bad breath came back. I was in a panic but I called his office and Dr. Miller personally called me and instructed me about taking a bacteria culture to find the problem. He called again with the results and prescribed antibiotics for the other bad bacteria. I went back for more sessions. He kept his word and didn’t give up until I was cured. Here’s the thing. He never charged me a dime for all the extra work, the culture, and the extra time he took to cure me. He was totally sincere that I be free of the monster of bad breath that had ruined my life and reassured me every step of the way. He was totally committed and wouldn’t give up even when I got discouraged. He knew his treatment worked and stood behind everything he said on his website and in his book It is now over a year since I last saw Dr. Miller, April, and Karin and my breath couldn’t be better. I am eternally grateful for all they did. They truly gave me my life back. I am happy to recommend Dr. Miller and the National Breath Center to anyone with bad breath. He and his staff will get to the bottom of it. That’s his personal guarantee and my own experience. And about that fiancé. I saw him at a party two weeks ago and we are going out again. My new found confidence helped me prove to him that my breath was no longer a problem.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2017

After 10 years of bad breath I was getting desperate. The last straw was when a patient (I am a nurse) said, “What is that smell?” I found Dr. Miller about 2AM on the internet, searching for something, anything that would get my life back. I called and Karin explained everything in a kind, understanding way. Long story short – I went and he cured my problem. My Halimeter was 496 to start, 69 at the end. One year later and I couldn’t be happier. I have a live-in boyfriend and no one turns away anymore. Dr. Miller really cares. He cured my problem and totally changed my life.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr Richard A Miller from 2012 to present. I initially went to see Dr Miller for multiple dental issues and halitosis. I had already seen 2 other dentists and 2 physicians to no avail. Dr Miller assessed and treated all of my issues. My husband reports he detects no odor on my breath. My coworkers no longer cover their noses as they did previously. Dr Miller gives his patients his cell phone number. I called him on a Sunday in pain as well as early one morning in distess. He answered my after hour calls and scheduled to see me. I cannot say enough good things about this dentist and his staff. Desperation drove me to see Dr Miller. Satisfaction makes me stay with Dr Miller. I highly recommend this dentist. I have my beautiful smile back and I have Dr Miller to thank for that. I highly recommend this dentist.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2017

I was a patient of Dr. Miller from 2012 to around 2014. First the positive (the reasons for any stars): my experience with the receptionists and with the dental hygienists was always good. They were kind and professional. Dr. Miller himself is pleasant to interact with, and I believe that he does know a fair amount about bad breath and maybe even is capable of helping some people. However, at the point when I decided to leave (uncured), the most disappointing part (next to being uncured) is that he began lying to me and saying that I was cured (which happened at each of my last 3 visits, 4-6 months apart). I gave him more of a chance than I should have probably partly out of desperation, and also because I had a hard time believing that he would go to the lengths that he did to LIE about my supposedly being cured. However, by the last visit I was almost positive that he was being deceptive in his use of the Halimeter (either not hooking it up correctly or not using it correctly). After one of those visits, I went across the street to CVS to buy something and asked for help finding a product, only to watch the poor employee almost pass out. It took her a few seconds to collect herself and respond to me. When I got to the cash register the lady at checkout had apparently been warned and was wearing one of those dust/face masks. That was immediately after a series of tests (two tests supposedly based on Dr. Miller's sense of smell and one supposedly based on the halimeter, which supposedly showed that I was cured). Since then I have had family members confirm that I'm not cured (which I should have done much sooner). I would not recommend going to Dr. Miller.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

I first saw Dr. Richard Miller and the National Breath Center in 2014. By then I was suffering for about 5 years. Bad breath had changed my whole life. I had lost most of my confidence, was too introverted to interact with most people, was afraid to meet strangers, and mostly kept to myself. I was no longer happy in my job and gave up on getting ahead. I had thought of changing jobs and going to a place where no one knew me, but I just figured that it would happen all over again. I’m sure most people find Dr. Miller on the internet and I was no exception. Since his office was not close to me, I had to widen my search. I was willing to go anywhere if I could find a cure. In fact, Dr. Miller was not the first dentist I saw. I traveled to New York and California before him to dentists who said they had a cure, but I always came back disappointed. What they did lasted a short time and then the odor came back, along with no confidence. At the initial exam, Dr.  Miller validated my concerns, diagnosed the cause, and made me feel like he truly knew what my situation was. I guess that his having cured so many people over the last 25 years gave him insight into what I was going through. I agreed to have treatment based on how I felt about him and his guarantee of a cure. I decided to use my vacation time and stayed for 11 days. I had sessions every day for my tongue and my gums to eliminate the coating (biofill?). I could feel the difference within a few days. My food started tasting better. After the treatment was over, he retested me and all tests were under the level that people could smell my breath. I left to go home with a new sense of hope and confidence. When I got home I ran into a speed bump. The first day at work, when I walked over to some people who were just hanging around talking, one of them turned a bit to his right, away from me. I was hyper-sensitive to the reactions of other because it was so embarrassing with this monster. But I decided in a second to do what Dr. Miller suggested. He had told me that some people may still react to me not because of my current breath, but because of their past expectation that I still had a breath problem. He was right! So, I asked Tom if I could ask him something confidential and took him aside. I said, “Tom, I know that you expect me to have bad breath, but I’m cured. See” I said and gently breathed on him. Of course, I was all in now, everything was on the line, and I was shaking in my boots. Well, he didn’t back away or say something nasty. He simply said, “I’m happy for you.” I shook his hand and we walked back to the group. An unexpected benefit of the treatment was my renewed ability to fully taste and enjoy foods. I'm so happy and thankful for Dr. Miller's understanding and exceptional skill. I go back once a year for a day to get checked and for the 3rd time I am still fine. I am working hard at keeping this monster from coming back but it has been worth it. I no longer build my life around my fear of being embarrassed.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

First, let me say that everyone in this office is personable, kind, and caring. I have been almost a recluse for the past 5 years. I have avoided every office party, every meeting I could get out of, and turned down invitations from friends to go out. I am single and very much want to be with someone but I have been terrified of being embarrassed or turning someone off. The first time I knew I had a problem was when I overheard people talking and laughing about me in the office. They did not see me but I was so embarrassed I went to the bathroom and cried. That started a downward spiral that got me to finally call Dr. Miller. I was at the end of my rope. I live in Los Angeles so the trip would be costly and I would need to take some serious time off. I called and I have to say that unlike alot of medical and dental offices, April stayed with me until all my questions were answered. She told me the exam was $665 for 2 1/2 hours but she could give me $100 off from a coupon even though I didn't have one. I took the plunge and signed up for treatment. 14 sessions for my tongue and 6 sessions for my gums. Seems like the amount of gum bleeding I had was proportionate to one of the bad breath odors he measured. I didn't have the 10K that the 20 sessions would cost so April hooked me up with a financing place. Of course, I was leery at first. It was more than I thought but I decided that based on Dr. Miller's guarantee, it would be worth it if I could get my real life back the way it was before this horrible problem. Dr. Miller promised that the 4 methods he uses to diagnose a condition would all be negative before he was satisfied I had been cured. I stayed that first week and after the 3rd day I asked him to test me again. Three days earlier my Halimeter said 532 but the new reading was 227. I was so happy I was making progress I started to see my life coming back. I finished that week and went home and something strange happened. I overheard one woman say, "Did you notice that her breath doesn't stink anymore?" I was so happy I couldn't believe it! I went back two weeks later to finish. He explained that the reason for so many sessions was that the tongue could only take so much before it got irritated. H promised the treatment would be painless and it totally was. By the end of the second week I passed all the tests with flying colors. Just to be clear, it was alot of work. He has a comprehensive program that involves diet, supplements, probiotics, hydration, personal instructions and alot of work in my mouth. He personally takes the time to make sure that you can do all he asks of you. I really got the feeling that he totally wants you to not have this come back. By the end I was confident I could take care of myself. Well, its now been 6 months. I test my breath once a week like he taught me but I no longer worry about it. No one is turning away and I have gotten numerous invitations for social events. I still don't have a boyfriend yet, but I know that he won't dislike me because of my breath. One last thing. Dr. Miller counseled me that other people may still react to me eventhough my breath was cured. When I got home, the first time I saw someone rub under their nose a few feet away, I thought it was me. So for the first time in my life, with my heart pounding in my chest, I went over to him and asked if he was smelling my breath. I'll never forget what he said "No, I think I am coming down with a cold." If you have a problem with your breath this is the place to go even if it's not as bad as mine. And for me, I know that I can take care of this forever. Dr. Miller and his staff gave me my life back.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

I am writing to say how Dr. Miller successfully changed my life. I know that this is the complete opposite of what others have written but I feel my story should be heard. I originally came to see Dr. Miller in summer 2015. I had had a breath problem since college but I was always able to cover it up. But in the past 2 years it had gotten so bad that my husband decided to move out until I found a solution. He was still very supportive and wanted me to find an answer so we could be together and start a family so he came with me for my first visit. Dr. Miller was my last resort. I had done extensive research, called a bunch of offices, and even went to see 2 other so-called specialists. I was greeted warmly on the phone and spend about 30 minutes asking questions. Karin was very patient and informative. She explained everything to me in detail so there were no surprises. That first appointment was over 2 1/2 hours. Dr. Miller performed 6 different tests to gauge the severity and odors in my breath, not to mention my entire dental condition. He found I was in the severe range which wasn't much of a shock to me as I could actually breathe out and smell my own breath, He measured sulfur in my breath with 2 instruments - one he called a croma (sp>) something and the other the Halimeter. He used a smell test which I had researched (from his book) and found that it was the same test that the companies that make the scientific instruments use to determine if their invention is accurate. The name of that test is the orgagnolectic test. It is also used in the perfume industry and other places to smell industrial chemicals by someone who has a trained nose. He also used some gauze to measure color and odor of my tongue coating. I can understand why some people think this may be simplistic, but my background is in IT and I am accustomed to researching deep into the internet. It turns out that breath can be made up of odors not from the mouth, like from partial digestion, acid reflux, and certain foods. He attempts to identify other odors that can signal other problems. Anyway, I asked alot of questions and it so happens that the gauze tests are not gimmicks but a way to bypass the air from the lungs and the odors I just mentioned or any other odor that is not from the mouth. By smelling the gauze he is truly measuring mouth odor alone. Of course, it would seem like an arbitrary test, but he has done it thousands of times and believes that he is pretty accurate with it. Look up orgagnolectic and see what you find. It is a very valid test and is mentioned in many research articles on bad breath. Anyway, I began treatment the next week with high hopes that I had finally found someone who could cure me and that would bring my husband and me back together. Over the next 6 weeks I was not disappointed. My taste improved after the third session and I began to notice my breath less and less. I want to say that at all times, his office and Dr. Miller were encouraging and supportive. This was a big emotional problem for me as I was now living alone and wanted to get rid of this plague and get back with my husband. I will not lie here. There was alot of treatment and alot of cost. My case was over $8000 with 14 sessions for tongue treatment and 6 for the gums (some odors come from under the gums). But it was worth it. When treatment was finished I brought my husband to check out the results. Dr. Miller did all the same tests and they were in normal range. I asked if my husband could smell my breath and I was sure he would be honest since we had spent alot of money. He came close and I breathed on him. He told me he no longer smelled anything and whispered that we needed to talk about getting back together. I couldn't have been happier. I see Dr. Miller every year as he is now my regular dentist. I know that on the internet you can find good and bad comments on anyone and anything. But my personal experience was only positive with Dr. Miller and the National Breath Center. And one more thing. I would never expect a refund when a doctor spends over 2 1/2 hours doing a diagnosis no matter what he or she found. I wanted his professional expertise and opinion. That is what the exam is for. Whether I like what he has to say or not, it is still his time and skill I asked for. I believe Dr. Miller when he said that this has been his life's work. I also know the dedication it takes to keep up with professional research and techniques and be on the cutting edge of your field. I spend hours each week learning new computer programs and technology, I hope my experience helps. Dr. Miller proved himself and his treatment to me. Call his office. I believe you will find them knowledgeable, caring, and supportive. I know they understand what you are going through. I would recommend him to anyone who wants to be cured of their bad breath.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017

I wish that I had seen all the forum posts before I decided to put $4,000 into this crook's hands. He falsifies data including pictures and uses his own nose as the final determinant of whether you're cured. Do not go for his 'Bad Breath Cure' it does not work and you will be out thousands of dollars

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

Dr. Richard A. Miller's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Richard Miller graduated from the Ohio State University College of Dentistry in 1973. Since graduation, he has been in private practice specializing in comprehensive restorative dentistry and halitosis elimination. In 1993, he discovered the Total Cure for bad breath and founded the National Breath Center. Dr. Miller has spoken about his treatment at a number of prestigious dental meetings both in the United States and abroad, such as the British Dental Association, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Liberty Dental Conference, Hinman Dental Meeting, Dallas Mid-Winter Meeting, and the Southwest Dental Conference, and twenty-two private seminars around the country. His work has been published in dental magazines and journals, including Dentistry Today, Your Health magazine, and The Dentist. He has appeared on All Things Considered (Public Radio), WGN, WZHF, Fox Channel 5, News Channel 8, and e-Health Radio.

• English

• Ohio State University (Grad. 1973)