Ratings for Dr. Stephen V. Sobel

Dr. Sobel is the first (of many) psychiatrist to actually LISTEN to me. Dr. Sobel is always upfront and direct, and always involves me in the decision making process of my psychiatric needs. Dr. Sobel never treats like I'm stupid or looks down on me, but rather treats me as an equal. Dr. Sobel is always very pleasant and cheerful, and genuinely concerned when i have a setback. Dr. Sobel recommended in my first visit that, in addition to the pharmaceuticals he would be providing, I seek out a psychologist for intensive therapy, and he inquires into my progress at each appointment. I wish I could have found him when I was much younger so I wouldn't have had to suffer for as long as I did before finding Dr. Sobel.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2017

Called me a "waste of time" because my condition worsened and required me to visit the ER and attend to reschedule his appointment. He yelled at and hung up on my mother while I was in a life or death crisis. Please review the MANY negative reviews of this man that I'm even hesitant to call a doctor before seeking any of his "help"

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

I have never had such a poor experience with a psychiatrist. He and his receptionist interrupted me, told me I was not there problem, and reduced me to tears when I tried to make an appointment after an absence of appointments due to other health issues. I was informed that the appointment I had made only five minutes previously was canceled, and that I was not his patient. Declining to treat someone after an absence is a doctor's right, but the way in which he addressed me was alarming, and something I never expected of a medical professional. Worst encounter I have ever had with any type of doctor, let alone one who is supposed to be specialized in mental health. Showed no concern or empathy whatsoever.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2013

My wife saw this doctor and she hasn't been the same since! She has been dealing with alot of stress and emotional issues. She called me in hysterics after her FIRST appointment with is "doctor". He told her she needs strong meds vs talking. He is very belittling and condescending with no feeling. I still have yet to understand how he can treat my wife the way he did. If he ever talked that way to some regular person outside of his practice he would most likely get punched in the face and well deserved! It took me so long to calm my wife down and I felt I had to write this and let people know NOT to use him you will not be getting help only more emotional stress.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2012

Only spent about 8 min. with me, no conversations or tools to help, just gave me drugs. He is a legal drug dealer and doesn't use his knowledge to actually help his patient. Don't waste your time & money.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2011

After not hearing back from Dr. Sobel or his staff within 24 hrs, I decided to deliver my completed New Patient form (very extensive) to his office. There was no one at reception and Dr. Sobel came out to greet me. I told him that I had not heard back from his office within 24 hrs so i took the initiave of filling out the New Patient form and hand delivering it. He said that he could not see new patients in his Carlsbad office, I would have to see him in the San Diego office and then transfer to the Carlsbad office. At this point I almost came unglued. Are you serious? you cant see new clients in Carlsbad? I told him I would like to stay in Carlsbad and he said it would take 3-4 weeks to see me. I told him thats not what Im looking for at which point he gave me back the New Patient Forms I had spent 2 hours on and pointed me to the door. Unbelievable! The Arrogance and Distain HE had for ME by wanting to be seen soon in the Carlsbad office. DO NOT SEE THIS DR.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2010

I'm rather shocked to see such a high rating for this doctor due to the fact that his bedside manner inhibits the quality of care to many of his patients. It is very apparent that he is extremely knowledgeable but his arrogance and brusqueness leaves a lot to be desired. I would only suggest seeing him if you are looking for a simple 10 minute office visit, no emotions or opinions involved.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2010

Dr. Sobel was a frustrating Dr for me to visit. He can be very direct and come off as arrogant, but if you are willing to be up front and direct as well it goes better. Ultimately I decided to change Dr's because of a fundamental difference of opinion regarding his conservatism in my treatment, but we parted on relatively agreeable terms... I wish I had left sooner only to have saved my outrageous co-pays.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2009

In the midst of a crisis Dr. Sobel told my Dr. at the Balboa Naval Hospital that he would not treat me anymore because my husband was belligerent. -keep in mind my husband was really worried about me and Dr. Sobel couldn't be bothered to call back in a timely manner (it was an emergency). Dr. Sobel is extremely arrogant and has bad bedside manners. I wouldn't recomment this Dr. to anyone I know. For the duration that I was his patient, he had me doped up on so much medication that my condition peaked.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2009

Dr. Sobel is a direct and compassionate psychiatrist.I found him to be sensitive to my problems while also being very specific about what he thought would be most useful for me. He did not coddle me but I left feeling like he fully understood my problems and would work with me to make my life better and me happier. Dr. Sobel was open to my questions and answered all of them. He was the only psychiatrist my therapist felt comfortable referring me to...not only because of his expertise but because he is so highly regarded by other therapists in the community. I can tell you that the first visit and the visits I have had since have been remarkably helpful. The office was comfortable and any business transactions were handled professionally. I would feel quite good about referring anyone I cared about to Dr. Sobel.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2009

Dr. Stephen V. Sobel's Credentials

• Vanderbilt Univ Sch Of Med, Nashville Tn 37232 (Grad. 1982)