Ratings for Dr. Arthur W. Fields

I had my wisdom teeth extracted which should have been routine. Because I am older, and had been taking osteoporosis medicine, Dr. Fields had me stop the medicine for 3 months prior to the procedure. He took a full set of x-rays, and said that everything looked good for the tooth extraction. When I had the teeth extracted there was an area on my lower jaw which simply would not heal. The empty socket would not close over. I went back to his office four times because of the pain and the fact that my jaw had exposed bone in that area . He said it was nothing more than bone spurs so every time I went back there he ground away with the grinder on my jaw, which was excruciatingly painful and very bloody every single time. He never gave me antibiotics or anything else. He even told me that the literature tells him that at this point, since no healing was occurring, I might need antibiotics but he decided not to go that route. After the fourth visit and excruciatingly painful grinding, which was so bad that I had to stop my car and throw up on the way home, I decided to find out for myself what was going on. It was a simple Google search by putting in my symptoms when I discovered I had osteonecrosis of the jaw, commonly known as the dead jaw syndrome. I went to a different oral surgeon who immediately upon seeing my new set of x-rays, pointed out to me the areas of dead jawbone that I had, which Dr. Field had not recognized, and told me that I never, ever should have had my teeth extracted. I had to go for hyperbaric oxygen therapy for a couple of months, which cost thousands of dollars, but I was lucky because it worked. The hole closed over and I was healed, but I have been told I can never have another oral procedure which requires invasion of the jawbone. Dr. Fields is an oral surgeon, and he not only did not recognize the state of my jawbone before he took my teeth out, but afterwards, when I continued to come back because it wasn't healing, he never did any research which would have told him what was wrong. I would recommend to anyone that this man is not a good surgeon. I actually wrote him a nice letter explaining what had gone wrong, so that if any other woman came in with similar symptoms to mine, he would not do the same butchery on them. He never responded.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

Dr. field office still operate as 20 years ago , no follow up, no email , no voice mail .. nothing He told me he can do the implant , and did two surgery cost me $4000 then he said it will not work Stay away !

flag | Submitted November 3, 2016

Try to multi task and fails. Failed to do bone graft at time of tooth extraction. Had to have 3 ops instead of 2 due to this. Double the pain and added 4 months to implant process. Look for someone else.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2016

I agree. Avoid at all costs. I had to have an emergency tooth extraction this week, waited for 90 minutes in excruciating pan. Only for fields to take a drill to cut my bridge so that he could extract my tooth, gave me no goggles to protect my eyes, did not wait for the numbing injection to work, went so fast I could not come up for air, they could not wait to get me out, shoved post op instructions in my hands along with very expensive quotes, and up until this staff have not had the decency to call and see if I am still alive! This reflects very badly on North Texas Endo who referred me to Dr. Fields. I will not be using them again either!

flag | Submitted November 6, 2014

Avoid at all costs. Surgery mill, stacks patients three and four at the same times. You wait an hour for a consultation, Fields gives you five minutes in which he talks a mile a minute, doesn't answer your questions, gives you as little info as possible. The surgery itself is rushed and post-op is a waste of time. Would not send my dog to this oral surgeon.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2014

Dr. Fields performed my wisdom teeth removal and did an amazing job. I had very little swelling and recovered very quickly. Dr. Fields is a funny, kind gentleman and is clearly well educated. The staff was ok, but not spectacular.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2012