Ratings for Dr. Alan N. Carlson

Preformed my lasik vision correction in 2014 perfect experience, no regrets.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2018

Wait time at office 2 to 3 hours, staff friendly, the wrong power lens was used for cateract surgery, now sight is worse than it was 3 months ago. Many other complaints. Would not recommend.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

Thank you Dr Carlson!! Fall of 2016 I had gone to a couple of eye doctors, had a mri of my brain and no one could tell me why I was losing my site. By December 2016 I could not drive because of my vision. I met Dr Carlson the second week of December and he was so excited to tell me that I had Oil Drop cataracts. Which is a cataract inside a cataract, and he could get me right in the following week which was the week before Christmas, for my right eye and the week after Christmas my left eye. I could see right away! I am so Thankful to Dr Carlson for helping me see again. I will drive to Durham and only will see him for now on. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2018

I do a tremendous amount of research before any purchase, so you can imagine the amount I did before my cataract surgery. I had so many questions for my first cornea doctor that he recommended I reach out to two nearby experts in the field, one at Johns Hopkins and the other at Duke. The guy at Johns Hopkins, I was told, would not respond to patient questions without coming in for an exam. Dr. Carlson at Duke was exactly the opposite - so helpful in answering my questions and getting me over my anxieties about the procedure. He turns out, also, to have been the only doctor in the region who offered the lens I wanted (check out the Staar Nanoflex if you have not already - it's amazing) as well as laser assisted cornea surgery, I insisted on the laser assist because of my previous retina detachment and the promise of much less energy required to break up and remove my cataract. The day of the surgery, his staff was exceptionally welcoming and kind, and during the surgery doctor Carlson was focused and calm. Throughout the experience I was impressed by his competence and willingness to answer my questions and put me at ease. I highly, highly recommend him. I only dinged him, actually probably the Cornea Clinic at Duke, a little on punctuality because I have had to routinely wait 30 minutes or more after my scheduled time to be seen. Nothing I can't handle, but I can't give 5 stars for punctuality when they aren't punctual.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2015

I am so thankful that God sent me to Dr. Carlson.....He did cataract surgery on my right eye Tuesday he did a great job .. He has a very good reputation and I trust him completely.....He also has a great team working with him......I am very thankful he is a Christian so we bonded instantly......I will tell all my friends about him when they need a excellent Ophthalmologist....Keep on Keeping on Dr Carlson....We need you.....

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

I can relate to all the comments about unprofessionalism as they describe perfectly what it is like to be seen by Dr. Carlson. Dr Carlson seems to have forgotten that his patients are people and not procedures. It started when he arrogantly boasted I was sent to him because he was good and he would get me 20/20 vision. It is now 3 months later and I have had further complications and now have 20/70 vision. The latest is a dense opacity of the lens that he will laser in 6 weeks. At this visit, he spent less than 5 mins with me, did not take time to address any of the outstanding issues, glossed over my questions and simply walked out the door. I had to flag a tech down to see if that meant my appointment was over. He may be brilliant technically but his bedside manner is the worst I have ever encountered. He is wrapped in his own celebrity and fails to show any respect for the patient. The staff however, is amazing - kind and courteous - even after one of the fellows accidentally dyed my contact neon green because she too was rushing and failed to tell me what she was doing before she did it. The manager kindly made arrangements to replace my custom contact at their cost. I will stay with him because of the complexity of my case but future patients should know what to expect.

Submitted February 19, 2015

I suffered from recurrent corneal erosions for nearly 2 years. Dr. Carlson was the sixth eye doctor I saw but the first to help me and heal me with PTK surgery. The level of servic I received from him and his staff was above any I've ever received before. Not only is he so knowledgeable about my eye condition, he was the first doctor to show empathy regarding what I had gone through. Ive gotten my life back now that I'm not in pain everyday. I'm just bummed I didn't go to him first!

flag | Submitted December 23, 2014

Dr. Carlson performed cataract surgery on my left eye on October 23, 2014. It was an amazing experience. The doctor and every single person on the pre-op, surgery and post-op team was very caring, thoughtful and professional. I have a medical condition that made my surgery a unique challenge and required a considerable amount of extra effort on everyone's part - including mine - in order for me to even be able to do the surgery. This experience was one of the best medical experiences I have ever had. Dr. Carlson also performed a miracle on my eye - going from 20/70 vision WITH GLASSES before surgery to 20/20 WITHOUT GLASSES immediately following surgery. Dr. Carlson deserves his reputation as one of the top eye surgeons and teachers in the country. He has assembled a wonderful team and demonstrated that he is a wonderful leader of the team. They all seem to like and respect each other and work together very effectively. Dr. Carlson is personable but not a 'hand holder' doctor. When he has finished his work or exam he is on to the next patient. There are a lot more hand holders out there than really top notch surgeons and surgical teams. I prefer the top notch surgeon and team...and am grateful that the Lord led me to Dr. Carlson and the opportunity to be treated by one of the best in his profession. I look forward to Dr. Carlson and his team operating on my right eye in a couple of weeks.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014

My 71 year old mother had an appointment with Dr. Carlson today, 10-15-14. After driving 164 miles and waiting 1-1/2 hours AFTER her appointment time to see Dr. Carlson, her spot was given to a NASCAR celebrity that walked in. Apparently this man is a close personal friend of the doctor seeing his photo on slide 2 of the doctor's website. This man was admittedly late, "but was here now" for his appointment, and was ushered right back. My mother was then told to "come on back" but found the seat she was to occupy was already taken by the celebrity. Then they told her to go to this office, but it was taken, and that office, which was also taken. Then it was decided she was to go to the "laser room" where she managed to see the doctor for a total of three (3) minutes. She didn't get any of her questions answered and was quickly shown the door. However, I'm almost certain that her insurance will not be forgotten or overlooked due to this celebrity. She couldn't even get checked out or make another appointment because her paperwork had gotten misplaced in the room to room shuffle. Dr. Carlson, my mother's eye problems are just as important as Richard Petty's.

Submitted October 15, 2014

I was very impressed with Dr. Carlson compassion, kindness, and knowledge. I loved his bedside manner, operation skills and his concern for his patients.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2014

Dr. Alan N. Carlson's Credentials

• Duke Univ Sch Of Med, Durham Nc 27710 (Grad. 1981)

UnitedHealthcare