Ratings for Dr. Paula I. Handell

At all costs you should avoid this office and any offices where Dr Handell works in. This office needs new management at the front desk (Joanne) and doctors that treat their patients well. Unfortunately my wife and I were paired with this office by our vision coverage. As a physician myself, I am constantly seeking to do what's right for my patients, by providing reassurance when difficulties arise, being honest when I've made an error, or even apologizing on my staff's behalf if my patient feels they were mistreated by the staff or office manager. These fine tenets of professionalism and patient-doctor interactions are healthy and honest practices that any doctor should provide for every patient. This office charged my wife a $135 fee for a contact lens fitting. The service she paid for was never actually rendered properly. Over a 6 month time period "Doctor" Handell fit her into 5 pairs of contacts, none of which actually helped her see clearly. The contacts never fit, impaired her ability to see and actually were painful to wear. This doctor only works 2-3 days a week in this office and this made it difficult to track down for follow up appointments for trying on or refitting contacts. I've worn contacts for the majority of my adult life and have personally never imagined an experience as horrific and disheartening as this: My wife went back in to the office wearing a trial pair of contacts because the doctor said she wanted to troubleshoot them. They simply didn't fit her so her doctor told her to discard the pair while she prepped her for a new fitting. Complying with the doctor, my wife removed the painful contacts and discarded them in front of her. My office received a call later that week from the office manager demanding that she pay for the discarded pair of lenses. The doctor called my wife, stating that she would never tell my wife to throw out a custom made pair of contacts and that demanded her to pay for them. She stated that my wife was rude to her front desk when my wife refused to pay for contacts that she was improperly told to discard by the doctor. My wife came back at them and said she'd rather take her business elsewhere and that she was thru with coming into the office, only to come out blind, disappointed and frustrated by the rude receptionists and staff. If you've ever experienced a doctor who misguided you, tell you to throw out expensive contacts, then charge you for them, and without apologizing or confessing to any wrongdoing, gets on the phone and yells at you for listening to her instructions when she made a mistake, then she gets mad that you, the patient who has no contacts at the end of this, is unable to see clearly, has gone thru six months of frustration and wasted time, is ashamed and embarrassed for this medical practice and faulty business model, are simply asking for a refund for services that were clearly not properly rendered, then maybe you could walk in my wife's shoes. My wife and I are both doctors with successful careers because we treat our patients with the respect that they deserve. We will never endorse or support this business again. Take our professional advice and don't waste your time with this practice. The office manager and Doctor Handell should reconsider why they go in to work, and find a better, more professional way to take care of their patients and customers.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016