Ratings for Dr. Joseph S. Kim

Stay Away! We went as far as to show up for our daughters surgery appointment and the "copay" was almost more than half of what they told us would be our cost. Original patient estimate was $568. When we came in (at 6am!) they said we owed almost $900. When I said that I had an issue with that the doctor came out in a very loud tone saying he didn't appreciate me coming in and not keeping my end of the "bargain". I told him that it was their responsibility to contact me before the surgery to let me know of the increase in cost. He told me it was my responsibility to contact the insurance. Never have I had to do that nor have I ever experienced given a patient estimate that goes up more than 70%! Then he proceeded to tell us that the reason he charges more is so that "if" the insurance doesn't charge as much he can give us a refund so "everyone is happy". This was all being communicated through yelling at us. Wouldn't even let my husband speak. He kept repeating to me how he didn't appreciate what I did and how he had to pay his staff an extra hour because of me. As a service provider my expectation is not to be scolded for a mistake that his staff made and not communicating but rather to care for the patient, our daughter. Then he said lets just do the surgery at the original copay amount and that he wouldn't be responsible if the insurance contacted me later with a bill. There was no way in the WORLD I would have let him touch my daughter after all of that. An all the while our daughter is sitting there listening to him yell at her parents which really upset her. He honestly showed himself as shady and not trust worthy. I am going to report him to my insurance company. I felt really bad for the front desk lady whom seemed to be very concerned for us and worried about the after math.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016