Ratings for Dr. Lawrence M. Ashman

Dr. Ashman was friendly and nice, I'll give him that. However, I am now facing a 300 dollar bill for an X-ray that I didn't need and no solutions, no fixes to my TMJ Disorder. He wrote a novel on the computer about my issues with TMJ and when it started and so forth. Besides retelling the story of my TMJ, I received nothing from the appointment. I am so upset. Each time I call this office whether it be requesting to speak with the doctor, or ask about a new mouth guard & the costs, they are unreliable, rude and upset me even further. I asked to leave a message for Dr. Ashman, the man was rude and told me no. He told me that I signed a waiver and I am responsible for all costs.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2017

I had a great first experience with Dr. Ashman. He was definitely worth the wait to get in to see him. He's very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2017

My initial consultation with Dr. Ashman went well, I had severe TMJ and a history of chronic pain problems, as well as a history of anxiety and depression. Dr. Ashman ordered an MRI and said he had a lot of experience with TMJ disorders, he was very friendly. On a later date he went over the MRI results with me, noting that I had a displaced disc and TMJ arthritis - on this same day he told me he wouldn't treat me until I consulted with my Psychiatrist, because he thought my pain was over exaggerated and must be due issues other than actual structural ones. I complied even though my mental health state was healthy and even started going to therapy regularly, and my jaw pain didn't change at all. I went to see Dr. Ashman later on, at this time he fitted me for a corrective appliance (different than a normal bite guard) to wear to help balance my jaw. The appliance helped initially (first few weeks) and then over time actually put me in more pain; when I confronted Dr. Ashman with frustration about this, the friendly man I initially met disappeared and instead I was met with an egotistical and condescending man who scolded me. He told me my jaw was "screwed up" and that this wasn't his fault and that he never promised any of his interventions would help me. He also said many people have displaced discs and aren't in as much pain as me, so that it all must be in my head. Months later, when I had given up on seeing Dr. Ashman, I asked for advice about my jaw pain from a faculty of TMD specialists at a University and they all agreed that the disc degeneration and capsulitis I had was indeed enough to cause a great deal of pain. They also told me that Dr. Ashman told me to wear the corrective appliance for an improper amount of time, these are supposed to be worn for one month maximum before they will cause a patient to be in even more pain due to occlusal discrepancies like changed bite and shifted teeth. In short, thanks to Dr. Ashman, I was pre-judged and stigmatized (I don't casually throw this word around) due to my past chronic health issues, my jaw pain got worse, and my teeth, which were beforehand straight from orthodontics, actually shifted, one tooth shifted quite drastically. Please, if you're a "tricky case" or have a history of chronic health problems, be weary of going here. Working at U of M does not make you a good doctor/dentist, I'm sure of that now.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2015

I was one of the unfortunate patients that fell into the UofM reputation trap. I was in a lot of pain and Dr. Ashman assured me that he will take a good care of me. I have to say he was very attentive and appeared to be caring. Once I paid the money and got the device that did not work, his tone changed and he started talking about other options including surgery. By that time I’ve done an extensive research on my condition and consulted with multiple doctors. Now I am getting treatment from a TMJ specialist and my prognosis looks good. Dr. Ashman might help you if you have bruxism, grinding of the teeth, but he has no clue of how to treat TMJ. He is just a dentist that does not have the proper training in a neuromuscular medicine. Don’t fall into the same trap as I did and don’t get discouraged if your treatment with Ashman failed. Most likely your condition is treatable you just need to find the knowledgeable and skillful doctor.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2015

Dr Ashman actually spent a great amount of time with us to evaluate the situation. He was kind and considerate with our questions and options. He genuinely seems to care about his patients as people first. I can't say enough about how great our experience was with Dr. Ashman.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2014

Dr. Ashman is the best TMJ doctor out there! I could barely open my mouth about a year ago and now I hardly have any pain because of Dr. Ashman's treatment. The staff there is very helpful and kind as well

flag | Submitted May 26, 2011

Dr. Ashman is far more than a dentist, he's the director of the U of M TMD/Orofacial Pain Clinic, so I don't think he works on teeth anymore. He's one of the only doctors who has actually listened to me and provided helpful advice. He even came out into the lobby to find me after my appointment to give me additional information! It's rare to find a doctor who has this much experience and yet remains kind to his patients. Highly recommended!

flag | Submitted November 11, 2010