Ratings for Dr. John L. Rendall

While the entire staff yakked it up with drug reps in the hallway, I waited over an hour after my scheduled appointment in a cluttered exam room that looked more like a supply closet: open boxes of unwrapped bandages, office paper sitting around, and a dirty bucket used for mixing casts sitting in the sink. Dr. Rendall did not wash or sanitize his hands before examining my knee. Before ordering an MRI or providing a diagnosis, he told me to perform a specific exercise. I warned him that it would cause excruciating pain. He told me to do it anyway. When I did, I felt a hard pop in my knee and felt intense pain. For the next two days my knee was more swollen and painful than before. During the exam Dr. Rendall was rude and condescending. When the exam was over, he simply walked out of the room. When I called out, "Are we done?" He said, "Yep!" and kept walking.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2011

I,ve had two surg by dr rendall in 18 years both were total knees both were perfect, although i am still recovery from the second one doing well considering i,am just 12 wks out

flag | Submitted May 15, 2011

2004 Dr Rendall did arthroscopic surgery on my left knee. I began having muscle spasms immediately so bad I could not bear it. I went back and he gave me a shot for the pain. Then he made the comment "People with fibromyalgia shouldn't have this type surgery". I told him it was in my record, so why did he do it? He had no answer for that. To make a long story short: PLEASE consider other surgeons. Dr. Rendall has told many people that he was going to play golf but he would cancel and do the surgery....I wished he had gone ahead and played golf because I still suffer alot with my knee. I have had other orthopedic doctors tell me I really needed a partial knee replacement. Since I have fibromyalgia, do I dare get one?

flag | Submitted October 27, 2009

Son dislocated knee @ partime job. Minor injury-surgery 3 mo later. At 6 week check, Dr. put son in open patellar brace *before* son went into physical therapy.Big mistake cuz quad totally atrophied-Son fell few days later - ruptured patellar tendon. Presented @ dr. office w/all symptoms of ruptured patellar tendon -popping sound, fresh blood withdrawn from knee, unable to do straight leg raise, pass out from pain, unable put weight on leg. Dr. proclaimed it "only torn surgical scar tissue". But dr own office notes diagnosed ruptured patellar tendon but he *never* told us. Kept son in pt for 83 visits -Never did another xray tho problems continued. Overcompensation injuries left knee & back from excessive pt. So far 5 major knee surgeries right & left knee. Caused severe pain both knees/back. Pituitary gland affected by narcotics to control pain. Spinal cord stimulator recently implanted to control pain and get son off pain meds. Nighmare for patient and family.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2009

total hip replacement at 43 was a disaster. I was in good health, good physical condition. but like other poster, required multiple surgical procedures to fix. (11 in 13 months) He is a likeable guy and even called me after I was transferred to a nearby teaching hospital. He seemed genuinely upset over the outcome.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2008

He has did surgeries on me,I was very pleased. He has also did a total hip replacement on 2 of my friends and they are doing great. Recovered with no problems.WONDERFUL DOCTOR

flag | Submitted September 4, 2006

Hip Replacement Surgery (I am young!) resulted in numerous additional surgeries, by other orthopedic specialists, to fix botched job. No explantion given as to what went wrong. A horrible experience.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2006

Dr. John L. Rendall's Credentials

• Duke University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1973)