Ratings for Dr. John Tis

My child underwent arthroscopic hip surgery with Dr. Tis in 2014 due to hip pain from a fall. The surgery was unsuccessful. Dr. Tis had the wrong diagnosis, since he used old scans that poorly visualized the joint instead of higher resolution MRIs available at Johns Hopkins. I am not sure whether he was qualified to treat the condition he diagnosed (a moderately sized, full-thickness articular cartilage defect and labral tear/detachment) or to evaluate the whole injury as he overlooked a major problem contributing to the pain, impingement, even though there was a positive result during evaluation for this. During surgery, he did not repair the labral tear or detachment since he could not find it. Also, there was no articular cartilage damage found during arthroscopy except for that which he caused during surgery. Dr. Tis performed another procedure, a psoas release, which I did not give my consent for, instead of the ones we expected, and this caused a long delay in my child's recovery as walking, even on crutches, was not possible for 6 weeks after surgery since the hip flexor could not function. Symptoms and pain became worse after surgery. Dr. Tis was not helpful after the surgery, instead recommending unnecessary and expensive treatment that only added to the months my child was disabled due to pain. Thankfully, we found another more qualified surgeon, at the direction of our physical therapist, and my child is finally walking again after a second surgery. The correct diagnosis was labral tear with impingement. I would not recommend Dr. Tis for hip arthroscopy, unless he has undergone better training. Also, I feel that Dr. Tis overstated his experience before the surgery, leading me to choose him over other pediatric surgeons at Boston Children's. After the surgery, he was not helpful at all, and either was not aware that he caused damage to my daughter's cartilage or did not admit it, though he did point out the damage in photos he took during arthroscopy. On top of everything, his admin staff were not so great at scheduling appointments or surgery. We were notified in writing when to show up for surgery, but we found on arrival that the surgery wasn't scheduled with the hospital until the following day. This caused my family a lot of stress. I am not sure if it impacted the outcome of the surgery.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2015

Dr. Tis is very cold and detached. He displays no understanding or compassion.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2015

Dr. John Tis's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1994)