Ratings for Dr. Susan S. Maples

Charges far above standard reimbursement rates. Very unethical and recommends unnecessary procedures.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2018

I'm highly offended on Dr. Susan's behalf on these comments that insinuate that she is unethical or rude in any way and I'm very suspicious of them. Dr. Maples isn't rude, but she doesn't sugar coat anything and that's why I trust her... maybe some people find that offensive. If you want a dentist to only tell you what you want to hear then I'd go elsewhere. But I've been going to her office for over 25 years and have NEVER ONCE been offended or made to feel uncomfortable in ANY way. Her staff is always friendly and considerate. Both Dr. Susan and her staff have always tried to help me with financial issues, never pressuring me into anything and giving me alternatives if needed. Every one of the hygienists and office staff that has been there for a while knows me and my family and treats us like their OWN family, and that's why they ask you questions about your lifestyle...to get to know you. I trust Dr. Maples with my own family and HIGHLY recommend her. I would guess the people making the negative comments are easily offended or maybe can't take the truth...IF they were patients at all. As for me and my family, we will always be patients of Dr. Maples.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

I'm not surprised by the reviews that point to Dr. Susan Maples' fixation on making money. I consulted with her a month ago. I received no treatment, no advice, no information on what to do about my teeth and I brought my own X-rays. First, she mocked the fact that I took up an offer for free X-rays from a dental clinic. She said I seemed to be a person "concerned about money" therefore I would not be a "proper fit" for her practice. I just got up and said "could I have my X-rays back, please." I clearly heard her tell the dental assistant there would be no charge and she walked behind me and told her receptionist the same thing. "No charge." But after I reviewed her I received a bill for $73. This must be a revenge bill for the poor review, because she did absolutely nothing to earn $73. Moreover, she lied as I left by telling her staff there would be no charge. If you have lots money and still believe the PR hype about Dr. Maples, I'd advise you to be very wary. She lies and likes revenge. From the office postings it is clear she tends to narcissism. Sounds like the Pumpkin Fuhrer.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2017

I had a positive recommendation from a coworker for Dr. Maples' office so I had high expectations. Unfortunately, my experience was abysmal. At my first-time patient appointment, they asked unnecessarily intrusive questions about my lifestyle (not related to my dental care or diet.) There were two assistants and Dr. Maples in this meeting, each of whom came in at different times so I had to retell my less-than-pleasant medical history three times. Dr. Maples made me feel badly about my diet (which is fairly healthy). During the exam, it did seem like she was being thorough and was taking her time to evaluate my mouth and I appreciated that she doesn't rush to get to the next patient. As someone who takes good care of her teeth, I was absolutely shocked when she announced that I had twelve cavities, and her staff promptly worked up a cost estimate and write up about how I could sign up for a high interest payment plan. She also added on there an extensive bleaching treatment with no prior-discussion about it, which I view to be a pretty ridiculous suggestion for a 24 year old with healthy teeth (I had off-handedly mentioned that the only thing that would make my smile better would be if it were slightly whiter, hoping she would suggest a good toothpaste- not an expensive bleaching plan!) The cherry on top was when I walked out of the office, they noticed I was visibly shaken by the expected costs just handed to me, and they looked me in the eye and said, "It's ok, maybe you can get your parents to help you out!" Fearful that I might actually have TWELVE cavities, I promptly made an appointment with my wonderful home dentist who, after doing two sets of x-rays and an exam, said there was no way I had that many cavities, just two small ones that needed fillings. It was clear to me that Dr. Maples' strategy is to have patients get a ton of work done on their mouth, assuming they will be none the wiser.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

This is an exceptional office! Dr. Maples is very well educated, proactive, and on the cutting edge of techniques. We have been patients for over 10 years and been very pleased with the care given by all the staff and the doctor. You can even get a hand massage and music to listen to while getting a procedure done! If you want to wait on a "shadow" until it bothers you, or is a true hole in your tooth that's completely your choice, just say that you want to wait. The staff respects each person's viewpoints and economics on their own oral care! They will also take the time needed to "do the job right" so I have occasionally experienced a delay from my appointment time, thus the 4. Be assured that they will take the same approach to quality care for you.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2014

I would not recommend this dentist. After many bad experiences, I am looking for a new dentist.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2011

I've been a patient of Dr Maples for 25 years and have always trusted her completely. She has the best clinical skills of any dentist I've ever known. She is very professional and always has the best interest of the patient in mind regarding treatment recommendations. She is very knowledgeble in every capacity of dentistry and I would recommend her to everyone I know.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2010

At one time I went to Dr. Maples and I thought she was a good Dentist, until I started noticing things. She wanted to do some extensive work on my mouth that I wasn't sure I needed, and when I kept asking for cost estimates she said she would have them next time. When next time came she said she had already given them to me and why was I always asking about costs. When she started complaining about my sons orthodontist to my son I decided to get a new dentist. It turns out I didn't need any of the work she said I needed and my son's orthodontist did a fine job as well.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2009

I went to Susan Maples for emergency visit. She turfed me to get a root canal from a quack endodontist Dr. Hershey in E.Lansing, who absolutely destroyed my molar. From that root canal, I always have discomfort biting down. Maples does not practice OSHA requirements like gloving up BEFORE putting her hands in mouth. She did not wipe down her ink pen between PT's after placing her hand in a mouth, charting and moving to the next PT. She tries to con you into filling teeth that DO NOT have cavities because she says she sees "shadows" on the film until you go to a reputable dentist that states, "No cavities!" I have very nice teeth because I take care of them but I do not wish to have some minor teeth straighten for $5000+. Too much pressure from a Dentist that's only average on the artistic scale. Find a better Dentist.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2008

Dr. Susan is a motivational speaker and her office is wonderful to do business with. The intake appointment is very helpful and it makes for a great environment. My kids love her and the staff and do have have the fear that was instilled in us adults. Highly reccomend.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2006