Ratings for Dr. Tonya L. Mccullough

I read online reviews with interest and wonder if people really are honest and fair or just mean-spirited, ignorant about the medical field, or crazy. I am leaving a review as both a patient and as a former employee; I have experienced this office inside and out. I worked with Dr. McCullough as a medical assistant for 6 years, and my family has seen her as patients as well. Although I no longer live in Savannah, I do see Dr. McCullough for various cosmetic treatments when I am in town. She does a great job, and I trust her. She will NOT do anything that she feels is not in your best interest. Dr. McCullough is fair, compassionate, considerate, intelligent, and conscientious. She does not see as many patients as many other dermatologists because she spends extra time with her patients. When I read a review saying someone was rushed or mistreated in her office, I do not believe it at all! Dr. Mc does NOT rush patients. She is not motivated by making money like many doctors; she truly cares about the patient and tries to find the SAFEST most appropriate treatment for each patient. Dr. Mc has served as the Chief of Dermatology for Memorial Medical Center since 1994, and she serves as teaching faculty for the Medical College of Georgia and Mercer University School of Medicine. She was chosen as a WTOC Hometown Hero for her work teaching sun safety to children, and she was recently the President of the Georgia Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery. On many occasions, Dr. McCullough works with colleagues to find the best treatments for patients instead of just sending the patient out of town for help – saving many patients long trips and expense. Dr. Mc also has a laser expert come to the office monthly offering patients a variety of laser treatments for reasonable fees (without long trips and added expense). One reviewer states, “She farms out cosmetic procedures to a non-physician who comes once a month and does one after the other laser procedures.” Dr. McCullough does own two lasers, but she cannot possibly own lasers for every condition. Many other dermatologists and plastic surgeons in Savannah also “farm out” using the SAME laser company whose owner has years of experience. Most doctors cannot afford to buy and maintain numerous lasers, so using a reputable/established laser company that comes to the office for patient convenience is very common. And yes, because the lasers come once a month, there are numerous small laser procedures done on that one day (laser for brown spots, broken blood vessels, tattoos). Wow, the reviewer makes it sound so horrible, but understanding the truth sheds a different light, doesn’t it? A reviewer complained about waiting for an appointment for months – often typical for established and popular physicians. Do you want an appointment with the doctor who is so “not busy” that he/she can see you tomorrow? The reviewer also complained about getting an answering machine… which you will get if you call ANY office when it is NOT open. It is unfortunate that the reviewer called once when the dreaded answering machine (that DOES have an emergency option) was not updated. I have called many offices (medical and non-medical) when the message has been incorrect or old; these things sometimes happen. Staff cannot always be perfect although many staff members try (including me). Why do patients expect perfection from medical offices and staff and doctors? And, shouldn’t we all expect improvement not perfection when it comes to medical treatment? Maybe people should discuss complaints and problems with the person/business to resolve or improve the situation and post compliments and accolades online… wouldn’t that be nice!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2018

After having seen two other Savannah dermatologists, I got a referral to McCullough. Her practice is verrrry busy - you will wait to get an appointment, wait to see her at the appointment, and be fairly rushed through during the appointment, while having a med student observe. I believe she's let her practice get too big, because the personal touch is lacking in favor of moving patients through at warp speed. Office staff is harried and uninterested.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

Wow what a wonderful place! From the receptionist to the doctor assistant to Dr. Toni. Informative, friendly, funny and warm. Doesn't feel like a stuffy doctor's office. Educated me and then offered suggestions! Definite thumbs up!!!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

Over the years, Dr. McCullough has treated my family for acne, cold sores, childhood viruses, various rashes, and many other skin problems. I have moved to Atlanta now (where there are LOTS of cosmetic doctors), but I traveled back to Savannah to have Dr. McCullough do my facial laser surgery when my aging skin needed some serious help! This office treats me like a person, not like a number. I never wait longer than 30 minutes, and all of my problems are addressed and all questions are answered. The office has great handouts about my problems. I see the DOCTOR - not nurse practitioners or physician assistants. I like being treated like I am special!

flag | Submitted August 21, 2014

Her only concern is money. She asks for your credit card number on the initial paperwork before even seeing her. She did not listen to my symptoms and immediately wanted to do a proceedure that would have cost me about $400. She prescribed high priced cream, sales rep inspired I am sure, but gave me a coupon for half off. I still paid $45 for a basic lotion. She sells her "preferred" products behind the check out counter. I prefer to pay less money to a doctor that cares more.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2010

She was very rude, did not listen to my complaint, was dismissive, left the room and sent the nurse in with prescriptions she had already given me that I told her didn't help. She would have known this had she taken at least one minute to listen to me. It's sad when as a person/patient you are treated like a number or like cattle, being shuffled in and out.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2010

Dr. Tonya L. Mccullough's Credentials

• Med Coll Of Ga Sch Of Med, Augusta Ga 30912 (Grad. 1989)