Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein

I had lower back pain for over a year - herniated disc L4 & L5 / lumbar stenosis . I received physical therapy, 3 epidurals. Nothing seem to help the pain. The pain became worst where I needed a cane to walk. I had numbness down my left leg & foot, as well as stabbing pain & feelings of pins & needles. Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein was recommended by a family friend & a patient of Dr. Goldstein. I made an appointment with him and he confirmed that I needed surgery as the previous doctors did. He recommended a laminectomy & spinal fusion. A day or two after surgery while I was dealing with the surgical pain I started moving my left leg and realized there was no pain. After healing about a month I began physical therapy. Today no pain, no numbness and no cane. Dr. Goldstein and his staff were excellent., the hospital staff at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases were excellent. I am very happy I made the decision to choose Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

As a 28yr old male, I’ve have lower back pain for as long as I can remember. I grew up playing soccer my whole entire life in high school as well as at the collegiate level. I played goalie and was constantly diving around breaking down my body. In January 2016, I was shoveling snow and felt pain in my lower back immediately afterwards. I thought “Oh no big deal, this pain comes and goes all the time.” So I continued playing soccer, continued lifting 2-3 times a day. However, this time the pain was different. It didn’t go away and got progressively worse. I went to a Spine Specialist who sent me for an MRI. I had herniated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1 so the Dr. suggested Physical Therapy. PT was great at first, but then I plateaued and things started to get worse again. I decided to go to a Pain Management Dr instead of the PT. I was getting Nerve Root Blockers and Epidurals regularly but nothing was doing the trick. Fast-forward to June 2017, my wife and I decided that it was time to explore surgical options since we are expecting a baby November 2017. I saw multiple Drs and had multiple opinions but no one compared to Dr. Goldstein and his staff at NYU/Seaport Orthopedics. From scheduling the surgery, to the pre-op and post-op care, I never felt like I was going through anything alone. The staff was always there to answer any questions I had, whenever I had them. Dr. Goldstein thought the best surgery for my condition would be a microlumbar discectomy at the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels. Prior to surgery, my body looked like the letter “S” when I was standing straight up. I had an overabundance of sciatica pain and limped when I walked. I am currently 4 weeks out post-surgery and am feeling great. All of the sciatica pain I had prior to the surgery is completely gone and I am able to stand straight and walk without limping. I cannot thank Dr. Goldstein and his team enough for everything that they have done for me and my family. They seriously gave me my life back. Because of them, I will be able to run around with my little munchkin a year and a half from now and I am forever grateful for that.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

Dr Goldstein gave me my quality of life back. I was unable to walk more than a block, I wasn't able to lay down or sleep. I tried everything, including epidurals, physical therapy, pain management, chiropractic care but nothing helped. I was very hesitant about having a spinal fusion after reading so many horror stories, but Dr Goldstein was confident that I would do well. He was 100% correct. The day after the surgery I was able to walk and sleep again. What a relief it was to be pain free and be happy again. I knew I was in good hands with Dr Goldstein from the day I met him. He explained everything to me and my husband and answered all our questions. He was very reassuring because I was so scared to do this procedure. Today I am six weeks post op and I couldn't have asked for a better turnout. I started physical therapy two and a half weeks after surgery and I am feeling excellent!! Thank you Dr Goldstein

flag | Submitted August 13, 2017

At 55 years old, I was suffering from severe pain from a lower back injury that had slowed me to the pace of a 90 year old. After several epidurals, it was clear that surgery was the only path. Dr. Goldstein performed that surgery and he has provided me with a new lease on life. My relief was immediate. When I awoke from the surgery, I had no pain. Also, due to Dr. Goldstein's skill and that of his staff and team, I was able to leave the hospital 30 hours after the surgery began- Unbelievable!! I was also able to return to work 1.5 weeks after the surgery. At this writing, I am now three weeks post-surgery and feel great. There is some post-surgery tenderness, but that is a small price to pay to no longer have debilitating back pain. Thank you Dr. Goldstein and Thank you to his staff. Wonderful people that really care.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2017

Four weeks after my spine surgery and I feel great? I am only sorry I waited so long to have surgery.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2017

I have been having severe lower back pain for the past six years. The pain became unbearable, often radiating to my entire left leg which sometimes becomes numb and tingling. I was initially able to manage the pain with several prescribed medications and epidural injections. However, the situation became worse until I was examined by Dr. Goldstein and his medical team. After a thorough examination of my condition, Dr. Goldstein recommended some form of lumbar spinal surgery which was successfully performed on me recently at NYULangone. The entire team was very professional and treated me with courtesy. I am happy to report that the back pain is virtually non-existent. I can now stand straight and move around without fear of falling. I recommend anybody suffering from severe back pain to visit Dr. Goldstein for consultation. I was hesitant before my procedure but now I have no regrets for having the surgery.

Submitted June 27, 2017

I have lower back pain for past couple months. Did injection & therapy nothing helped. Last result was surgery. I met Dr. Goldstein he explained everything to me. I did surgery on April 27, 2017. Still in therapy. I want say thank you he helped me so much. No more pain. He's phenomenal Dr.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

After 40 years of doing everything but surgery for sciatica pain all agreed that i no longer had any choice. I woke up after spinal fusion surgery by Dr Goldstein with no pain down my leg. i was released the next day from the hospital and was on pain meds for only 3 days. it is now less than 4 weeks since my surgery and i am amazed at my rapid recovery. I am certainly happy I chose Dr Goldstein as my surgeon

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

Where do I begin? At the end.....Dr. Goldstein took away my pain! He did it with his wonderful staff, experience in his field, caring bedside manner and professionalism. My appointments had little to no wait as Dr. Goldstein spent a significant amount of time explaining my neck injury, what needed to be done and how the rehab would go. My cervical fusion was textbook and my recovery a success as I returned to work, the gym and virtually all activities. Im only 3 months post surgery and the healing continues. I owe Dr Goldstein a million thank yous!!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

Dr. Goldstein performed cervical disc replacements on my husband. We were very happy with Dr. Goldstein's outstanding care and surgical skills. The Hospital for Joint Diseases, where the surgery happened, was top notch as well.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Goldstein is Director of the NYU Langone Medical Center Spine Service and Director of the Spine Fellowship. He is an attending surgeon in the NYU Langone Medical Center Hospital for Joint Diseases. Dr. Goldstein is a Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the NYU School of Medicine. Dr. Goldstein has been recognized nationally and internationally as an expert and educator in minimally invasive spine surgery and artificial disc replacement. His surgical expertise includes degenerative diseases, deformity, trauma, tumors, and infections. He has been recognized by New York Magazine and Superdoctors as one of New York’s “Best Doctors” and by Castle Connolly as one of America’s Top Doctors. He has received the Patients’ Choice Award and America’s Most Compassionate Doctor Award. Dr. Goldstein is involved in the research and development of biomedical materials and devices. He also serves in an advisory capacity to the news media and several medically oriented companies. He is currently involved in several clinical trials. He has distinguished himself as a researcher and innovator and has authored book chapters and presented numerous articles globally which are published in national and international scientific journals. He was the recipient of the Leon L. Wiltse Award for the Best Overall Paper at the ISASS annual meeting. Dr. Goldstein serves on the editorial and advisory boards of The Spine Journal, The International Journal of Spine Surgery. The Global Spine Journal, The Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases and the reviewer board for Spine. He is Chief Editor for Orthopedic Surgery (Spine) Medscape Reference. He is board certified in Orthopedic Surgery and a Fellow of both the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Goldstein is a member of the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery (ISASS), the North American Spine Society, the Cervical Spine Research Society, the International Society for Study of the Lumbar Spine, the Scoliosis Research Society, the American Orthopaedic Association, and the Lumbar Spine Research Society. He serves on the Board of Directors and is Treasurer of the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery. Dr. Goldstein earned his undergraduate degree from Colgate University. He attended medical school at the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center at Brooklyn where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society and graduated Summa Cum Laude with Distinction in Research. He was trained in Orthopaedic Surgery in Cleveland, Ohio at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Dr. Goldstein received additional fellowship training in the treatment of disorders of the spine at the Maryland Spine Fellowship.

• Spanish

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1990)

Providence