Ratings for Dr. Mark D. Gendleman

Dr. Geneleman's receptionist ignored me , preferring to have a casual, personal conversation with a pharmaceutical rep. instead. The wait time was very short to see him. Dr. Gendleman was dismissive and bordering on homophobic. I had come in for a skin cancer check and mole removal. He basically said that men shouldn't be concerned with mole removal or anything cosmetic. He also asked if if I had makeup on which was really strange as I had absolutely nothing on my face. He also told me that only women need to moisturize their skin. I did not have him do any mole removal. This guy needs to retire now! I wish I had read the reviews on him before selecting him as a doctor.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2012

Dr. Gendleman is very condescending and rude to patients. When I began to provide context about my rash, he put up his hand to stop me (very rude) and interrupted with "we're not there yet". I had previously gone to a general practice doctor who provided steroids and recommended that I see a dermatologist. I couldn't remember the exact brand (my fault) and told him that I would provide it as soon as I left - Dr. Gendleman's response was "well, that doesn't help me now does it?" Not only was he rude, but he failed to diagnose the problem by saying "I doubt any dermatologist in the county could figure out what's wrong" and that this problem was a "1 out of 10." He understood that my skin rash of three weeks was "irritating" and provided some lotions. I was advised to come back if it gets worse, but I'll be visiting another doctor if it does.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2011

A great doc very knowledgeable & to the point. He will always put you in in an emergency.He knows more than other docs. I highly recommend him. He is very fair when it comes to charges due.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2010

I had done some research online about a rash that I had and he not only totally discounted my info, but he tried to make me feel like an idiot for telling him what I had learned. Obviously, he was threatened by my research and couldn't deal with an informed patient. The most unprofessional doctor I have ever been to in my 45 years. Would not recommend.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2009

It's true, dermatologists are not the friendliest group of Doctors and Dr. G fits in well among his peers HOWEVER he is nicer than most (and if he's not, just tell so!)and he always returns my phone calls. He's a fine doctor and he does care.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2009

Very professional, helpful, friendly staff, and thorough...and a good listener.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2008

You might have to wait if there is a patient emergency, he is very good though. I have tried new ones near my home, and continue to drive back to Evanston to see him. He is a very nice guy, but very to the point, if that bothers you than you may not like him. You cant go wrong with this guy, his is very smart and knows what he is doing....

flag | Submitted January 2, 2008

He is very short with you, thats true...maybe not the most personable guy, but he knows what hes doing. Sometimes he cant tell you whats wrong but he always knows what to prescribe and it works

flag | Submitted March 11, 2007

Short - does not explain what could cause conditions well.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2006

He doesn't have a lot of information to tell you about whatever is wrong with you. He comes in looks and then leaves. So the appointments are short and may leave one feeling a bit like the appointment was a waste of time. HOWEVER, he is very good with followup, asking when you come back around if you have questions or if he can answer any worries you have regarding surgery or etc. So it may just be that his threshold of worry is higher and he didn't feel the need to mention anything the first time I saw him. I would suspect there are better derms out there but he was not negligent and he was not stupid.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2006

Dr. Mark D. Gendleman's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1971)