Ratings for Dr. James P. Simsarian

First of all, I do research before I select a doctor. Where he/she (in this case he) went to school, what he has accomplished, reputation, his office environtment. I got someone to research for a Neurologist whose specialty is Multiple Sclerosis (MS) for my former husband, who fell ill and his Neurologist of 15 years had retired. Although primary physicician's referral is not required, Dr. Simsarian requires it before he sees you. I understand that requirement completely. The first appointment may take weeks but for next appointments, if you are a reasonable person and it shows that you actually care about your health and others, his office will try to get you in the first available appointment. When you get to your appointment, you should have a list of questions for him. He will make sure that those will be addressed before you leave or you will get a follow up call. He is a busy man so don't expect any chitchat. I'd rather talk to someone who works in a competent manner over someone who is nice but does not help you with your health. Having said that, at the first meeting, I mentioned to him that my father in law, a Holocaust Survivor, went to Columbia about the same time he was there. It might be my imagination but I felt he had softened up and become more personable. I think Dr. Simsarian is one of the best Neurologists (if not the best, but I am bias) who specialize in MS. I absolutely adore him. We need more knowledgeable and caring physicians like him.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2017

Not interested in the explanations. Very cold, condescending, indifferent, he didn't even try to "PRACTICE" medicine. I cried the whole way home. Aweful experience.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

I have been his patient for over ten years. He listens, he learns about you, he takes every avenue to help you (even other docs and non-traditional media if it might help). Reassures by informing. Diagnosed me in the ER. Yet, I took two trips to Hopkins to be sure. I returned to him to work on my disabling pain. He is open yet extremely capable and WILL FIGHT FOR YOU ON PAPER where needed and warranted. You could not have a better physician.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

Efficient but kind Busy but thorough Knowledgable and experienced. I have Been his patient for over ten years and trust his judgement and frank opinions. He tells it the way it is. I highly recommend Dr. Simsarian.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

I've seen Dr.Simsarian twice for M.S. He seems knowledgeable, but acted condescending towards me. He was rushed and did not want to hear my questions. Would not recommend him at this time.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2010

This is my fathers Neurologist and he is a LIFE SAVER!! He and his staff have helped my dad to recover some memory and motor function after early on set Alzheimer and two strokes! I am very pleased with their services and would RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!! And have for that matter!!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2010

With a brief, perfunctory exam he diagnosed RSD in my leg (a rare neurological condition). An experienced neurologist should have readily recognized that I had advanced cellulitis, not RSD. The undiagnosed cellulitis caused the complication of disabling, disfiguring lymphedema which I will have for life.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2009

Did not solve my problem but did rule out other potential problems and gave me good referral sources. Awesome doctor.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2009

I have fibromyalgia (I hate that name) He and I have worked to help me live my life to its fullest. When I talk with him I have his complete attention. I have chronic pain everyday, but most people never hear about it. We are managing it and we are attempting to do better than that. He has referred me to other doctors and we try more ideas. If anyone can help me, I believe he cares enough to help me not have to live in as much pain. He is the only Neurologist I have ever seen who has been helpful. I wish him and his staff all the best! Jo

flag | Submitted August 13, 2008

Dr Simsarian is a great Doctor. Very intelligent and his nurse Carol is wonderful. I found him after going to 6 other neurologists in the area. His clinic is very professional, tho parking is a mess there. His bedside manor is good-- not the warmest doctor in the world- but by far the best I have found so far in NoVA... If you want someone to baby you with your illness he is not the doctor for you- but if your like me- your going to have a hard time finding that

flag | Submitted May 22, 2008

Dr. James P. Simsarian's Credentials

• Columbia Univ Coll Of Physicians And Surgeons, New York Ny 10032 (Grad. 1966)