Ratings for Dr. Steven R. Nichols

Dr. Nichols is compassionate and can work wonders! I was already his patient due to an ankle injury. Then my brother living in California without health insurance called me seeking medical help for his foot. Several local hospitals rejected him since he didn't have insurance. I called Dr. Nichols and asked would he treat me brother. He agreed! My brother flew home the next day and entered HealthSouth Hospital via the ER as instructed. When the bandage was removed from his foot, 2 of his toes and part of his foot looked like partly ground beef. Dr. Nichols diagnosed diabetes as the real culprit. During my brother's 2 week hospital stay, Dr. Nichols saw him daily and saved all his toes and foot! Dr. Nichols worked out a reasonable payment plan with my brother. I have seen the wonders that he can accomplish and would highly recommend him to anyone that has a foot problem. Isn't that the point in choosing a doctor rather than obsessing about the long waiting room time?

flag | Submitted October 3, 2015

he thinks his time is way more important than yours. You will spend a LONG time in the waiting room because they overbook. Any doctor that has you waiting over an hour does not care about you. So, when I had to wait 3 hours from the time I got to the office til the time he walked in my room, I should have known the appointment was going to be a disaster. He spent less than 5 minutes with me. He never examined me. He didn't listen or offer any advice. Very condescending and lacked compassion. I should have checked references and reviews before I set the appointment but you can learn from my mistake. There are some truly compassionate doctors out there. Unfortunately Nichols is not one of them. Maybe one day some of the staff will be brave enough to be a true advocate for their patients rather than cow down because they fear being reprimanded. Thankfully there are sites like this that at least allow patients to express their concerns and opinions. Maybe Nichols should watch the movie The Doctor with William Hurt as the lead role. His character was complete a$$ to his patients until the day he was diagnosed with cancer of the throat and was suddenly thrust into the role of patient and got treated the way he treated his patients. His eyes were suddenly opened. He learned so much more during his days as a patient than he did in medical school. Listening and compassion became his primary tools as a doctor once he, himself, was cured. I don't desire Nichols to get sick. It's never too late to learn to be kind.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2015

Dr. Nichols performed lower lumbar surgery on me in 1999 at Health South. I had trouble walking with my left leg having pain and numbness. He did the surgery on Tuesday and I left on Wednesday, went to family reunion on Saturday and back to work Monday. I was sore and weak but my recovery was excellent. Dr. Nichols just performed my second surgery last Wednesday 2/18/2015 at Andrews Sports Medicine at St. Vincent's. This time I had a little hardware ( metal and screws) added. Was scheduled to be in the hospital for 3 days but went home the next day. I worked a little while Monday, more Tuesday and Wednesday. By the way, I own and operate a small machine shop with 12 employees, so I wasn't sitting on my a--. I anticipate a very good recovery this time. Dr. Nichols is dry and to the point, bed side manner??? have that at the house. I needed help, not passification. I would reccommened Dr. Nichols to anyone.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015

Having read some of these reviews, I'm left wondering if they are talking about the same Dr. Steven R. Nichols. The Dr Nichols I use performed multiple surgeries on my spine. Yes, they were different problems at different locations. He was recommended to me by the Sports Medicine folks at the University where I worked. His professionalism exemplified what Andrews Sports Medicine stands for. My family and I were always treated with the same care and concern as the professional athletes they have become famous for treating. Simple logic dictates that if world class athletes with unlimited resources, who depend on their bodies performing at the level they do, seek out his service, it must be top notch. I have recommended him to friends and will continue to do so. If I didn't recommend him, it would be as though I didn't care about people who are an important part of my life.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015

Dr. Nichols was very unprofessional. Didn't offer solution to pain. Very abrupt. Would not answer my questions. I drove an hour to get to his office. Waited 2 1/2 hours to see him. He waltzed in, stated he couldn't help me, and was out of the room within 10 minutes. His best advice was for me to have a "come to Jesus meeting with my primary care doctor regarding pain management". Then he slaps me on the hip with the chart and repeats the comment and leaves. I spent 10 minutes tops with this doctor. Such a jerk. I would NEVER recommend him to anyone! Pain is not meant to be managed. First rule of medical school, Pain is an indicator that something is wrong!!! Tossing medication only puts a bandaid on the issue. I'm looking for a doctor who is willing to solve this problem, not recommend pain meds. He was not compassionate at all. Avoid him like the plague.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2014

Monday was the 2nd time Dr. Nichols performed surgery on my spine. The 1st was a neck fusion, about 10 years ago. I was without pain, discharged, and went home the same day. Ten days after surgery I drove non-stop from Meridian, Mississippi to San Antonio, Texas. Three days ago he performed Lumbar Laminectomy surgery and removed additional debris that was causing numbness in both legs and prohibited me from standing up straight. Again, discharged the same day, feeling returned to both legs and walking as the Good Lord intended. As a disabled vet, I've had more than my fair share of orthopedic surgeries. There is not another Doctor on the planet I would allow to cut on my spine than Dr. Nichols. I couldn't help but notice that the other reviewers were unhappy with his personality and bed side manner and I can't vouch for his performance as a shoulder "guy". But, I didn't go to him for his likeability, I picked him for his ability to fix my spine.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

Dr. Promised great results. I am no better, am actually worse because of nerve damage. Original problem was not helped. Dr. was basically a smart ass.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2014

flag | Submitted August 16, 2012

Poor bedside, didn't let me explain my problems, kept interupting. Would not recomend.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2011

Dr. Steven R. Nichols's Credentials

• University Of Alabama School Of Medicine (Grad. 1979)