Ratings for Dr. Walter H. Stern

This doctor lied to me about potential risks and outcomes of proposed surgery. After a first surgery failed, he proposed an alternative which involved putting oil in my eye. He promised me that all of the oil would be removed, which I was concerned about. He did not remove all of the oil, and I have physical medical problems as a result. If he had told me that maybe he couldn't have gotten all of the oil out--I would never have agreed to that option. There were other alternatives. Also, when the first surgery failed, I experienced a retinal detachment. I called him on a Saturday and he said that it probably wasn't anything and to come in Monday. His office staff gave me a hard time about coming in that Monday. When I finall saw him late Monday, he acknowledged that the retina had indeed detached. A retinal detachment is a medical emergency. I may have had a better outcome if he'd seen me that Saturday. I had to wait 5 days before the 2nd surgery.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2010

Dr. Walter H. Stern's Credentials

• University Of Chicago, Pritzker School Of Medicine (Grad. 1970)

Kaiser-Permanente