Ratings for Dr. William A. Gramley

I remember seeing Dr. Gramley in the ER about 3 yrs ago as I was choking on a piece of red meat, which no one in the ER could see, but Dr. Gramley believed and quickly diagnosed, put me to sleep, recovered the piece of meat, and the evening continued in a more quiet fashion! I am now having quite a terrible bout of IBS-D, which I believe might be Chron's. I never get to see my Dr, only the PA...and the answers to questions I receive are vague. In fact, when meds are called in to the pharmacy, I learn of it through a phone call from the pharmacy that meds have been sitting there for quit a few days...??? Hopefully I can get an appointment with Dr. Gramley about my IBS-D/Chron's?? symptoms that have been raging on now for 4 months. Over the last 3-4 yrs I've tried all meds leading up to and including Viberzi which was unsuccessful (I thought the PA might call and check on me???). So now I know if I eat anything, I'd best know where the nearest bathroom is located---usually I'm at home. I hope I'm able to get an appointment with Dr. Gramley to discuss this issue., based on not only these reviews but the care and concern he gave me in the ER a few yrs ago.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

After symptoms of blood in my stool, Dr. Gramley ordered a colonoscopy and subsequently located a stage 2 tumor in my colon, which through early detection probably saved my life. With surgery, Chemo and radiation treatments I have been 100% cancer-free for 4 years now.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

My daughter has had chrons for the past 8 years. She recently transferred over from a Pediatric GI dr. to and adult GI doctor. She recently had a flare. I found that his treatment reccomendations were slapshot. She was having intestional bleeding and he didnt even think of checking her hemoglobin. My daughter had to suggest to do a colonscopy. We eventually had to take her to the emergency room and she was admitted into the hospital. I am not impressed.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2014

Dr. Gramley diagnosed my wife with VIPoma which is extremely rare, less than 1 in 10,000,000 per year. He diagnosed this with her symptoms and a CT scan. He requested a VIP blood test which takes over a week to perform and a special biopsy which could not be performed at New Hanover Hospital so we were moved To Duke Hospital for the testing. Dr Gramley Was 100% correct. Thanks Dr Grimley.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2009

Dr. Gramley is a supposed 'specialist' who can not discern the difference of the symptoms of chronic pancreatitis from those of acid reflux disease. I currently have the former and have experienced the latter, and they rank at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. I apparently have learned more from researching books and the internet (not to mention experience) than Dr. Gramley absorbed throughout medical school. Without conducting any tests (blood work, scans, etc.), he recommended scheduling me for unecessary life-threatening, debilitating surgery because he does not believe in prescribing pain medicine. (aspirin-anesthesia?). I have been under the care of many physicians over the years, and never once felt compelled to proclaim my dissatisfaction. But I have never experienced such blatant incompetence and feel the public should be forwarned prior to seeking Dr. Gramley's advice. The surgeon general should post a warning on his door.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2006

Pancreatitis is a very difficult disease to properly diagnose and treat. The symptoms can be very broad and treatment specialized and limited. His approach to both has been aggressive and has afforded me as good a quality of life as possible for this disease.He is accessable, he listens and is very knowledgable and understanding. He doesn't waste time getting you any outside tests or treatments he feels necessary making you feel you are indeed getting "quality" medical care.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2005

Dr. William A. Gramley's Credentials

• University Of North Carolina At Chapel Hill School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)