Ratings for Dr. Kevin G. Murphy

I have never had a more tardy, rude, disrespectful, and self-entitled doctor than Kevin Murphy. He routinely makes snarky comments that are belittling and wholly unprofessional. In my office visits he talked down to me, did his best to make me feel inferior and stupid. When he's left messages for me he's defensive and belligerent. When I've actually spoken with him on the phone he is no better. He always gives the impression that you are encroaching on his time. He actually told me once that he'd take time to "school me" on how things in his office operate. His office staff is no better. Medical professionals, especially the office assistants, nurses, etc, are not supposed to be combative and argumentative. One more than one occasion his staff has wanted to engage in arguments with me. When a person is in the waiting room, that person is to be considered a CUSTOMER. Once inside, then that person becomes the PATIENT. Both are to be treated with respect and compassion, none of which Kevin Murphy or his staff do. I cannot recommend Kevin Murphy. If you're considering him, do yourself a favor and keep looking.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2017

Caring and responsive doctor. He is busy so it's a good idea to know what concerns you want to discuss with him before seeing him. He has often gone above a beyond for me and my family. While his nurses are terrific and friendly, the front desk staff leaves a lot to be desired. There is one receptionist I will actually hang up on before dealing with her incompetence.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

As a new patient I had to wait for an appointment until the Dr. had an opening for 30 minutes. I waited an hour to be seen and he he spent less than 10 minutes with me explaining he was late for a meeting. He does not listen to what you say, hurries you through appointments and spends half of the time with you out of the room. Horrible experience.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2014

I've been going to Dr. Murphy since I was 19. 10 years later it might be my last today. I went in for a Checkup in years. I have gained weight due to my new Flight Attendant job.I told him that I watch my diet more because sometimes the trips that are assigned to me don't give me enough time to work out. I mentioned I'm engaged now & may go to Paris to celebrate. He said "Maybe you should go to Ethiopia instead" because when I met you- you were cute & small and now. I never thought this would happen especially when I was asking for professional advice. I trusted him.He couldn't even look at me when he walked me out with tears in my eyes. Then he said maybe it's your thyroid. We can look at it. Really? You joke to me then realize it could be arrival issue and you don't even thoroughly apologize.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2014

Horrible, uncaring doctor. His time is more important to him than his patients' health.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2012

Dr. Murphy has been my doctor since I first moved to Chicago 10yrs ago. I could not ask for a better more patient, attentive and knowledgeable doctor. Tried for a year after moving to see another doctor and went right back to him. Just no comparison.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2012

Dr. Murphy has been my family doctor since I was little. He is very helpful and very honest. If you are looking for a doctor who is vague and tells you what you want to hear, do not go to him. Dr. Murphy is very direct and will spend more time on you if it is worth looking into. If he really doesn't believe something is wrong with you, he will let you know.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2010

flag | Submitted August 30, 2010

I would agree with the latest (poor) ratings -- Dr. Murphy is awful. He is actually STILL my doctor, so I must be careful what I write, but as soon as I can get out and find another PCP I will. He has been rude, short, unreachable, and arrogant every time I have met with him (I've been a patient for about a year now). Every time I need assistance with a referral it is a hassle, and he makes me feel like I am bothering him every time we meet. Take my advice: FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. As for his staff, they are fine. Generally nice, but seem very overworked (always short on the phone and impatient in person).

flag | Submitted September 22, 2009

“Well if it was a tumor it’s too late to cure it now.” This is the answer the good doctor gave me when I asked him about a spot on my head that literally was sore for 10-months. He truly didn’t care about my worries anytime I came in, and his nonchalant attitude made it clear. I went in for a car hit injury as well. The first visit he looked at my knees and said they’ll heal. Four-months later they still weren’t feeling all that awesome so I went in and had to haggle for an MRI. He was so put-off that I asked for one. I should have been in the MRI tube from the beginning. I spent a year at his office trying to serve damaged knees and a small handful of other concerns. Every visit he seemed unconcerned, like he was on vacation and put off I bothered him. The worst of it now is I am laid off, no insurance and he wasted all the health insurance time I had to make certain my knees wouldn’t be an issue 10-years down the road. On the upside, his staff was as sweet and overworked as could be.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2009

Dr. Kevin G. Murphy's Credentials

• Southern Il Univ Sch Of Med, Springfield Il 62794 (Grad. 1983)

MSP/BC Med