Ratings for Dr. Jerry G. Blaivas

My previous urologist had given up on me saying I had to live with my condition. Dr. Blaivis saw me, gave me confidence he could improve my health and did so with dispatch. My life has improved greatly and it's been about 6 years now.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

I was very fortunate to have Dr Blaivas as my urologist. It was in the late 80's and the standard procedure for people with spinal injuries was to test your bladder using static methods. Dr Blaivas pioneered a dynamic method, which he coined Urodynamics (now used by all competent urologist today), which almost certainly saved me from long term kidney damage. His method was the only one that saw there was a problem. Today, I have a healthy urological system because of Dr. Blaivas and I am grateful. Years later I did bladder enlargement surgery with Dr. Blaivas. It is a procedure I would do again in a heartbeat because of the resulting quality of life improvements. Some doctors today are preferring to treat neurogenic bladders with medication rather than surgery. As someone who was initially treated with medication and later had the surgery, it was like getting your life back. The side effects from the meds come on slowly and you don't realize how bad things are. The surgery took about three weeks to fully recover from (prolonged due to the meds that had now stopped). Later, I was able to do wheelchair marathons and get my masters degree, something I know with certainty would not have happened without the surgery. Dr. Blaivas was always available to talk and I never felt rushed, he is a very nice man.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr. Blaivas for many years. In my experience, he has been a highly competent and outstanding physician--a rare professional treat in Manhattan!

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

Down to earth. Extremely knowledgable . Extremely pleasant. The very best!

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

The best urologist around. Nothing could be done for my inactive bladder til I met Jerry. Used to cath 4x per day, now none in six years

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

I did a lot a research and saw two other urologists before having vaginal sling surgery in 2006. Dr. Blaivis performed this procedure with my own tissue instead of gore-tex or other mesh products which are now being recalled. Surgery was successful and I remain symptom-free. Though others below gripe about treatment for urinary frequency with his wife, I found this approach most helpful. I use the techniques she helped me develop every single day. That he offers this kind of treatment is indicative of Dr. Blaivas' wholistic approach of treating the whole patient, both physical and emotional issues. I recommend Dr. Blaivas without reservation!

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015

I have been going to urologists for 40 years. Dr. Blaivas is second to none. His knowledge is the best in the business. More importantly he listens and is attentive to his patients needs. His staff is also first rate. They are extremely attentive to their patients. I would highly recommend Dr. Blaivas. Jg

flag | Submitted December 10, 2014

I would highly recommend Dr. Blaivas. Dr. Blaivas took a very thoughtful and caring approach to my situation. It is clear that Dr. Blaivas does not try to promote surgery as the only remedy. Rather, he is truly concerned about how to approach the situation and finding the optimal treatment over time. DM

flag | Submitted November 14, 2014

Prior to seeing Dr. Blaivas, I'd seen 2 other urologists and done my homework, which Dr. Blaivas really appreciated. He was the only doctor who took the time to have an interactive discussion with me to come up with the best approach for my surgery. For anyone looking for a urologic surgeon, don't waste your time with anyone else. See him first.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2011

Phenomenal doctor, I have never felt more confident in medical advice in my life. He has operated on me twice and I will continue to see him as long as I need. He even called me once at 10pm, after a 10 hour surgery, to answer some questions he felt he had not answered clearly in our appointment.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2010

Dr. Jerry G. Blaivas's Credentials

• Tulane University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1968)