Ratings for Dr. Keith D. Bortnem

Terrible Orthopedic left me with 13 centimeter leg length discrepancy, the hip ball and socket replacement fell all apart

flag | Submitted March 27, 2016

I had an appointment with Dr. Keith Bortnem on May 29th, 2014 to do a follow-up for a dislocated shoulder. This was the worst experience I've ever had at a medical practice. I once believed that Doctors were held to a higher standard and deserved to be admired and respected until I was physically threatened and intimated by Dr. Keith Bortnem. I'm thoroughly disgusted by his attitude, rudeness, ethics and complete lack of professionalism. The front desk staff and doctors assistant (Michael) were very polite and helpful in getting me checked in and taking me back to the office to see Dr. Bortnem. Once Dr. Bortnem walked in everything changed, he immediately had a condescending demeanor and heartless attitude towards me. I felt uncomfortable from the very beginning. As he pulled up the x-ray he said, "you have a humerus fracture." This was a new prognosis to me so I started inquiring about the treatment and likely outcomes. He was very short with his answerers and didn't go into much detail about anything. I brought up the option of getting an MRI to see if there was any soft tissue damage and he said, "sure" and quickly left the room without saying anything else, to see when I could schedule an MRI. As I was scheduling the MRI appointment I told the lady that I wanted my next appointment to be with a different doctor as I felt Dr. Bortnem was ignorant, condescending and could really care less about me as an individual. After we scheduled the MRI, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go back to the office and finish my appointment because I still had questions that needed answerers. Dr. Bortnem hadn't advised me on whether I should still be icing it, pain medication, treatment, possible surgery and other questions I had. The front desk lady took me back to the office and I waited for Dr. Bortnem to come back in. The door swung open and he hastily walked in with a disgruntled look on his face. I said Dr Bortnem I have a few more questions that we never got to because you left to check on scheduling my MRI appointment. He sat down and wrote a prescription and as I started to ask him a question, he cut me off and said, "you've already asked me everything, time is up, I have other patients waiting." I said, "are you serious, what kind of service is this?" He stood up, walked to the door and said "out you go." I called him an ignorant expletive and selfish jerk and he just glared back at me. As I was walking out the door he stepped in front of me and said, "you're lucky I don't bust you in the chops!!" I was completely caught off guard and stunned that Dr. Keith Bortnem just physically threatened one of his patients!! I'm 5'3", 140lbs and this doctor who's twice my size just threatened bodily harm against me. This sorry excuse for a Doctor needs to be fired and I'm sure he has treated other patients with the same level of disrespect and condescending attitude. Physicians should practice medicine with a compassionate and respectful attitude towards patients, I received the complete opposite of this and was also physically threatened and intimated by Dr. Bortnem. I'm filing an official complaint with Great Falls Orthopedic Associates and Benefis. I hope other patients who have been treated similarly will have the courage to speak up so we can have Dr. Keith Bortnem fired. I'm posting my experience on social media, facebook, twitter and calling KRTV/KFBB and Great Falls Tribune to see if they want to investigate. I'm also seeking legal counsel and filling a complaint with the State Medical Association and Licensing Board. This type of behavior is unacceptable and you should be ashamed to have Dr. Bortnem practicing medicine at Great Falls Orthopedic Associates. Furthermore, I highly doubt Dr. Bortnem's attitude changed throughout the day so I'm requesting that you call other patients he had seen that day and ask them if they were mistreated or felt intimated. I expect a written notice in the next 2 weeks of what steps were taken to reprimand Dr. Bortnem and his reckless, uncaring attitude, and how you can assure me that no other patients will be treated like this ever again by him.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

Dr. Bortnem has seen me through more than one surgery in the last several years. I would recommend him to anyone!! He's not only an accomplished orthopedic surgeon, but a personable honest man.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2008

Dr. Keith D. Bortnem's Credentials

• Western U Hlt Sci Col Osteo Med Of The Pacific, Pomona Ca 91766 (Grad. 1987)

Pacificare