You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Sami M. Aboumatar

TL;DR at bottom. I wish I could recommend Dr. Aboumatar because he is a competent & caring doctor when he is not busy & when he has less apathetic nurses. Some of his office staff still try hard, i.e. a staff person kept sending a fax to me until it went through. Dr. Aboumatar has repeatedly made treatment plans that he has not followed through with. I am still waiting to hear back from Dr. Aboumatar about test results & med changes that I was told I would be informed about over a month ago. I only found out my medication level is low because I requested it get mailed. Dr. Aboumatar reassured me that he would increase my medication if the level is low. He has not done so. I suspect, but did not realize that Dr. Aboumatar's office is most likely not HIPAA compliant. If they are, then the office certainly has not been acting HIPAA compliant, for instance, not following HIPAA rules for requesting amendments to medical records. "The covered entity must act on the individual’s request for amendment within 60 days of receipt." I was not told to put the request in writing, but did so anyway. I have repeatedly asked about the amendment request, without a response, just told Dr. Aboumatar will be informed. It is well past the 60 days. Another issue is that staff members use phrases that I have trouble understanding. My personal opinion is that my misunderstanding is treated as intentional. The office manager commented on it in what I think is a unprofessional manner. Some of his nurses have been almost rude to me. Again, I understand that I can sound more upset than I really am due to my neurological and developmental issues. However, I do not think this excuses his staff for making comments that were hurtful to me. TL;DR : Standard of care has fallen, office is probably not HIPAA compliant, office is too busy so the Dr cannot follow through with his treatment plan, staff can be rude if someone has communication issues. Some staff members still try very hard, I think Dr. Aboumatar has good intentions but is too busy.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

Dr Aboumatar was treating me for simple partial seizures and tonic clonic seizures. I called him to tell him that I was having reoccurring seizures for 5 days straight and he didn't have an appointment for for 7 days. He gave me more medicine to take. I finally found out on my own that My seizures were caused by gluten allergy and I called Dr Aboumatar and he proceeded to tell me that he doesn't know of any link between epilepsy and gluten and could I please send him my research. That is your job Dr Aboumatar but the NIH found a link and if you go to their site www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and search for the article number 19244266 you can see. I couldn't post the link here. There is a ton of other information all over the web as well. For those of you with epilepsy and migraines and anxiety I would try removing gluten and Dr Aboumatar. I am now going to go to a functional Dr to help get me on track. my seizures are gone thanks to my removal of gluten but I have other problems due to what gluten has done to my body over the years.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2013

He's the best doctor who will do anything to help. I went through over 6 other doctors for a dozen plus years and never had any control over the seizures. FIRST apt with Dr Aboumatar and we set up a plan, two months later I had the surgery that stopped my seizures completely. Now I am three years without a single seizure since. Not only am I without seizures, I am without the daily PAIN I had from headaches, without the horrible pain I would get from the sun shining in my eyes, I take less medications (which is getting reduced all the time), and I dropped 70 pounds because I was able to regain my active life again. He's very thorough in this his testing to ensure that surgery is a good option for you and works hard to make sure you are getting the best quality medical care and the most up to date treatment. Can't thank him enough!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2013

After suffering with a seizure disorder for 10 years (seizures were not controlled with meds prescribed) I went to see Dr. Abomatour. My previous neurologist declared that I would always have seizures and would always be on medications. I felt other doctors were not looking for a cure but rather put a band aide on the issue. After seeing Dr. Abomatour the first time, I felt confident that I was in good hands. He was able to get my seizures under control and after 5 years of being under his care I'AM seizure free and have been released from his care. Praise God for Dr. Abomatour and his staff!

flag | Submitted January 7, 2013

I saw Dr Aboutamar after suffering an ischemic stroke. He diagnosed my problem immediately and went out of his way to get me a brain scan, set me up for occupational therapy, and consulted with my cardiologist. I have much confidence in him and would certainly recommend him to anyone needing a nuerologist. Really glad I found him.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2012

Dr. A found out more about my problem in the first 2 weeks of seeing him than the 25 years I'd seen another local Neurologist! He is very knowledgable, doesn't leave any stone unturned, and will walk you through your options for care. Under his supervision, I went through a temporal lobectomy and am 100% cured of my seizures after 30 yrs. He is the BEST!

flag | Submitted September 6, 2011

Wonderful doctor. I don't care about things like waiting and schedule. I care about results and his ability to help fix problems that I have had all my life and half a dozen other doctors never helped me. This doctor was a god-send to me. Since surgery I have had NO seizures.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2010

Dr. Aboumatar is amazing! HE HAS TRANSFORMED MY LIFE!!! after being ignored and getting diagnosed with only HALF my seizure disorders from previous doctors, Dr. Aboumatar has gone above and beyond to help me and it has drastically changed my life. Oh, and don't let his first impression fool you...he does seem a little rude on the first visit, but every visit after that he comes with a smile and seems almost relieved to see a familiar face. He's a very busy man and some kind of super-genius...GOOGLE HIS NAME...YOU'LL BE AMAZED AT WHAT YOU FIND! oh, and the staff is cool and nice as can be! only bad thing is the wait time (but it's well worth it) and his accent can be hard to understand the first time or two you see him, but you'll quickly get used to it.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2009

Dr. Aboumatar's staff is the best and only good part about my experience under his care. He was incredibly late (I and my husband waited with little word in his patient screening room for one hour and 15 minutes). Life Happens and a delay like that could completely understandable, if Dr. Aboumatar had excused himself even slightly or proceeded to deliver a pleasant screening about my recent issues. His demeanor left very much to be desired. He was curt, fairly rude and grew unabashedly irritated at my inquiries and concerns. He appeared to be rushed and took much of his frustration out on my visit. He prescribed me anti-seizure medication, to cure alleged migraines and after a very short time, I experienced irregular pupil dilation and severe double vision, in which, per his empty and unconcerned advice, I went to the hospital. The ER doctors were perplexed as about the neurological medication I was prescribed and why. In short, bad experiences and poor bedside manor equals fail.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2009

Extremely knowledgeable and helpful! Dr. Aboumatar has changed my life!

flag | Submitted September 21, 2009

Dr. Sami M. Aboumatar's Credentials

• American Univ Of Beirut, Fac Of Med, Beirut, Lebanon (Grad. 1992)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal

Updates

• A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "TL;DR at bottom. I wish I could recommend Dr. Aboumatar because he is a competent & caring doctor when he is not busy & when he has less apathetic nurses. Som..."

January 20, 2016
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=159012'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 2.7

February 5, 2014