Dr. James Fernau

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. James Fernau

Dr. Fernau performed my surgery, which was about $17,000.00 and the results were bad. I paid for insurance prior to the surgery, but Dr. Fernau still wanted to charge me another $12,000.00 for a procedure to fix the first surgery he performed. I'm sorry but if a doctor makes a mistake, he should own up to it and fix it, but not Dr. Fernau. He lied and tried to give me a lot of BS. I would NEVER recommend Dr. Fernau, but if you go to him, make sure you record everything he says because he will lie later if there are problems with the procedure he performed. Very bad experience for me!!

flag | Submitted January 1, 2019

I've been to Dr. Fernau before and I will say I trust him but this last surgery for a septoplasty has been canceled twice and I've been told they aren't sure when it will be rescheduled. I feel the communication within the staff has made for the cancellations of at least the second surgery scheduled and with the end of the year coming I might not be rescheduled until the new year which will put me in my new deductible which is very frustrating when I spent so much money on testing and facial. I've lost trust in the team and doctor now so please beware.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2018

Turning 41 this year and being active my whole life I started to realize areas that were always lean began to have fat deposits. I began to look for a remedy. I found Doctor Fernau on an internet search of top plastic surgeons in Pittsburgh. After reading hundreds of positive reviews I decided to make an appointment. When I first walked in the office I was greeted by his staff. During my consultation I found Doctor Fernau to be really down to earth. He answered every question I had and made suggestions of what my options were. I decided to have abdominal etching, liposuction of my love handles, and some fat grafting using the Hydrosolv form of liposuction. The day of surgery I was visited by Dr. Fernau and went over each step of the operation. During this time I asked Dr. Fernau if some of the fat taken could be placed into my calves. With out hesitation Dr. Fernau made this happen. I'm currently 6 weeks post op and couldnt be more satisfied. He's a skilled surgeon, but most importantly he honestly makes you feel like you matter. Any one looking to have any type of cosmetic/reconstructive surgery Dr. Fernau should not only be first on your list, but the only one on your list.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2018

From the first consultation, Dr. Fernau and his staff were beyond welcoming and helpful. He made me feel like I was his only patient. He seemed genuinely excited about my procedure and getting me the results that I wanted. He's a perfectionist and won't settle for less than perfect results. He travels around the world attending conferences related to his trade. He has his finger on the pulse of the latest technologies. I lost about 100 pounds 2 years ago and my breasts were loose bags of skin and tissue. He performed a breast lift and augmentation using the PAM technique. Its only been a month, but I can't believe how good they look. The scarring is so minimal right now and they look like full, natural breasts. I couldn't be happier with Dr. Fernau or my experience. I plan to go to him again for an abdominoplasty next year.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2018

Staff are truly amazing. Caring, sincere and competent.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2018

I had a PAM (peri-areolar mastopexy) with 375 cc silicone implants. (I had my areola reduced, breast implants, and a breast lift.) I am 6 weeks post-op. Dr. Fernau and his staff made me feel very relaxed when I had my pre-op consults and at my post-op check-ups. I love the results so far and I am so happy I chose Dr. Fernau.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2018

I couldn’t be more satisfied with the results of my breast augmentation. Dr. Fernau is an extremely talented surgeon and I would highly recommend him to anyone considering plastic surgery.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2018

Great experience! I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Fernau and his office for the informative, professional, caring approach they all have. Dr. Fernau is top-notch - very knowledgeable and gets excellent results. I have had very deep acne scars and procedures in the past to reduce them, but under his care is the first time I have seen such drastic improvement. It is unbelievable. My entire family is happy for this improvement as they know how much it means to me. It really affected my self-confidence over the years. You can easily tell that Dr. Fernau not only has the skills to produce great results, but also the drive and motivation to help everyone to transform to their very best. I'm so happy!

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

Love my breast augmentation! Dr Fernau is the best!

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

Dr James Fernau performed a beautiful and flawless breast augmentation earlier this summer. I experienced no pain and I cannot see my scar! Fantastic Doctor!

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

Dr. James Fernau's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

In his early days, growing up in Wyoming, young James Fernau watched his father take care of the community and would often go on house visits with him. He marveled as to how his father – who was a family doctor – loved every aspect of his profession, and how he was well-respected by the people and the community in which he served. James decided early on to devote his life to taking care of others. On the road to becoming a doctor and a surgeon, James received his bachelor’s degree, graduating summa cum laude from the University of Wyoming. He received his medical degree from the University of Utah, where he graduated in the Top 10% of his class – earning him the honor of Alpha Omega Alpha and voting him the Outstanding Graduate. During the course of his professional practice, Dr. James Fernau has received numerous awards for advanced education, as recognized by the American Society for Plastic Surgery. He was named as one of America’s “Top Doctors” by the American Consumer Research Council seven years in a row.

• English

• University Of Utah School Of Medicine (Grad. 1986)

• ASAPS Certificate of Advanced Education in Cosmetic surgery, 2011-2014
  • American Society of Plastic Surgery Certificate of Special Recognition for Community Service and Volunteerism, December 2005
  • Consumers Research Council of America, "Top Surgeon", 2007