Ratings for Dr. Athanassios Petrotos

Saved my life from peritonitis. Amazing bedside manner and a very compassionate person. Thank you.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

Back on December 9th of 2013 I fell off of and onto a step stool on my front porch while hanging Christmas decorations. Having been a NYC paramedic for 22 years and retired for 12 I quickly recognized that I did major damage to myself! I also when I began to perspire in 20 degree weather that I was going into shock so I quickly called nine eleven and our local ambulance took me to Greenwich Hospital thank God. Luckily for me Dr. Petrotas was the on call surgeon. He explained to me that he'd done trauma surgery residency in 2005 at Saint Luke's Hospital in northern Manhattan. In my 20 years of field experience I took many trauma patients to this hospital so I knew the experience this man had. He performed an exploratory laparotomy on me and repaired my small bowel that I had lacerated during my fall. After my CAT scan revealed that I was bleeding internally he knew he had to move quickly. I had 4 to 5 liters of blood in my abdominal compartment when he opened me up and because of his expertise and quick thinking and movement I' alive today! I owe my life to this man. He came to my room every morning and made sure that I was kept comfortable and in as little pain as possible. I made a complete recovery and his bed side manner couldn't have been better. I spent 40 years in the medical profession working in the X-Ray field for 18 years before becoming a paramedic. I've worked with many doctors was badly wounded in Vietnam in 1966 and have had more than my share of surgical procedures. If there's anyone who can judge a doctor's bed side manner it's me. So maybe he has an accent. Does this make his bed side manner not good? IMHO this man is a great doctor and surgeon who can handle the really hairy situations!!!

flag | Submitted October 4, 2014

Dr. Petrotos had to do my hernia repair 4 times and still didn't get it done, I had to leave and find another surgeon. I did not find he had a good bedside manner and he did not listen when I told him I wasn't right, Even with 4 surgeries he didn't admitt I wasn't right. I suggest the hernia center in the N.Y.C. for hernia repair definitely not Dr. Petrotos.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2010