Ratings for Dr. Leeber Cohen

I learned so much about my eyes! Dr. Cohen gave me thorough explanations of results and answered all my questions. He is kind, professional, and thorough. Staff is friendly and helpful. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

I'm quite surprised by the negative reviews, especially the one that calls the doctor mean and says that he yelled at them. I've gone to Dr. Cohen for years and my experience with him is just the opposite. He speaks in a quiet, level manner, he has never left the room to attend to another patient, and he has always answered my questions. Today I called to ask a question about a treatment and this evening he called and answered it. I would call that responsive. I have every confidence in Dr. Cohen and would not hesitate to recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

I called Dr. Cohen's office on June 5th because I noticed a change in my eyesight and was told they were not making appointments until July. I asked if they would call me if there were any cancellations and was told, "We don't do that, you have to call us." I called again the next week and spoke with somebody else and explained my predicament and asked if they would call me. Again I was told that I would have to call them. Alarmed at the symptoms I was having, I made an appointment with another eye doctor who saw me immediately when he heard my symptoms. I was then diagnosed with a very aggressive case of macular degeneration and was told by the retinal specialist that I got to him "just in the nick of time." I find the conduct of Dr. Leeber Cohen's office staggeringly unprofessional and I will never go back to him. I was told by the eye doctor I saw that I was very lucky I didn't lose my eyesight, that had I gotten there two weeks later the consequences would have been dire.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2015

I went to see this doctor to discuss eyeglasses. I had 2 pairs and he was confused. I was in his office for close to 3 hours. You wait 1-1/2 hours, then rushed into 1 room, go outside, wait another 30 minutes, told to go into another room, wait again, he comes in, very nasty. I couldn't see something in the eye test and he yelled at me. Don't tell me what you cant see tell me what you can. When he asked me a question, I answered, and before I got my sentences out, he said "I didn't ask you that. Don't tell me about that!" What kind of an animal is this? I was in shock as to how rude he was. He was running in and out of 3 rooms. it's musical chairs. There were 5-6 people before me. There were two fights and complaints from patients waiting of 2 hours. He forgot to put a patch on a patient after surgery and had the secy run after him to get him back. Then he tells me I have a terrible eye disease. I question him and he laughs and says it's nothing! "Then again I see a lot of things in a lot of people but it doesn't mean anything." I questioned him over and over. He refused to answer a question and tell me what he meant, then said "Just forget it, it's nothing." How can a dr be confused if you tell them you're having pain with your new eyeglasses. R they too strong? "Don't ask me any questions." that's your response. He's in and out of rooms, typing on a little computer the notes of the patient he just saw. I was totally disgusted. Do not go to this doctor. I do not trust him. The office is solemn. His assts and secy are all solemn. This is a crazy office.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2015

Used to be good, didn't bother with the most basic tests for yearly eye exam.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2011

It is a matter of rouse that you will have to wait upwards of an hour after your app't time to see Dr. Cohen. I went for an emergency app't for something in my eye causing it to be tearing, red, swollen. He insisted on doing a vision test -- I remarked that I couldn't see because I had a foreign body in my eye -- how was he going to do a vision test and why? He said "NYS state law requires him to do it". That, of course,is a lie but he insisted. I was subsequently told that touching an eye with any instrument before assessing if there is an infection runs the risk of spreading it. Not only that, when I left the foreign body was still in my eye.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2009

Dr. Cohen is awesome. He knows so much, and is so good at taking his time to explain and make sure you understand. Highly recomend!

flag | Submitted March 1, 2008

A doctor that takes the time to listen and to thoroughly explain all potential treatments. I recommend him without reservation.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2006

One of the kindest and most patient doctors I've ever met--also very knowledgable and efficient. His staff is very nice and professional too. Only problem is they pack them in like sardines here and the wait can be brutal.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2005

Dr. Leeber Cohen's Credentials

• Hebrew

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1983)