Ratings for Dr. Marci A. Roy

Where to start?? Let's start with Dr. Marci Roy's charges for services. Her office takes most insurance plans, and advertises as such. But they're sneaky and instead of billing something as a doctor's office, they bill it as out of network hospital setting, so that a procedure that would be covered by insurance at a copay when billed one way, instead isn't covered and costs the patient over $500. It may not be false advertising to say "we take your insurance" and then bill it in such a way that it's not covered, but it's pretty close. Second, every time we go on for a procedure, her staff gives us this HUGE amount that it's going to cost. One procedure was over $700. Turns out when we got the estimation of benefits, we were only supposed to have paid $60. Problem is, they do this on every single procedure, try to charge hundreds of dollars over what the actual cost is. Then, when you get the EOB from insurance, and find out how much it should have cost, you have to call their billing service and try to get a refund. It took me over 8 months and 40 calls to get the first of the overpayments I was owed (and we're talking hundreds of dollars on each visit.) Even WORSE.... if you can believe it.... you have to keep track of every single visit and every single payment you make, because their billing service does not. They sent me a bill for over $1800 dollars! And it was because all those overpayments we had made weren't even being credited! They were taking our money and going to be all sly about it and hope we didn't figure it out! When I pointed out the dates and how much we had paid each time, it turned out WE didn't owe them $1800. THEY owed us over $200. That is a two THOUSAND dollar discrepancy(!), that if I wasn't keeping track of every single receipt, I might not have caught. All I can say is, if you really want to use this doctor, keep track of every payment, and check your insurance to see how much you really should have paid. If you don't have time to do all that, find a different neurologist. With all the doctors I go to (and I go to a LOT of doctors), we don't have this sort of trouble with any other office. Kind of makes you wonder... As for her performance other than in a financial sense. You have to wait at least an hour past your appointment time to see her or her PA. They might put you in a room, but you still sit in the room waiting without being seen. Dr. Roy is cold and uncaring. Her face is buried in her computer and she's always got one foot halfway out the door. Her staff will say she has no appointments available and you have to see the PA. Then if you call and speak to someone else, they'll say, oh sure, Dr. Roy has appointments available (they're just trying to force people to see the PA.) She has accused me of making up symptoms. Her manner is uncompassionate. I will explain symptoms I am having to her over and over again and it's like we're in the movie "50 First Dates." I don't expect her to remember every detail. I know she has a lot of patients. But I do expect her to keep track of my symptoms in my patient records, particularly as they progress and become so life-limiting that I cannot function so that it's not the first time we are having a conversation 4 or 5 visits in a row. In short, I would not recommend Dr. Roy.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2017

You wait over an hour every appointment to receive the worst medical experience of your life. Dr. Roy was consistently incredibly rude, dismissive and seemingly unknowledgeable. After almost 10 very expensive appointments, a few scans, and two horrific prescription experiences later, I had wasted enough energy and resources on Dr. Roy. All of the staff is also very rude, and it is almost impossible to get anyone on the phone ever. Bills are also incredibly delayed. I would not recommend Dr. Roy in any category.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2017

I am looking for a new neurologist because I saw yet another one today that I didn't like. I decided I should start writing reviews so nobody else has the same experience. I saw Dr. Marci Roy a while back and I told her which drugs work for my migraines and which ones do not. I have had this condition for many years and know from experience what works for me. She accused me of trying to get drugs to get high. Very degrading. She gave me Imitrex. Bad Idea. I have a heart condition and Imitrex is a triptan. It affects a certain natural substance (serotonin) that causes narrowing of blood vessels and causes me to have chest pains.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

I thought I was going to see the Dr...I had not realized often Dr's have P.A's that are the migraine specialists, though I did not know specifically how she was trained in migraines. I did not like being passed off. It made me feel my health was not important enough for the Dr. Dr. Roy did introduce me to MaxAlt which worked well enough but did not abort all my headaches. I became very frustrated when I would call about a severe/long lasting headaches. I was told to come to the office for an infusion. This solution for pain was impossible for me. I live alone and could not drive myself in that condition. I ended up leaving her office dissatisfied with the low level of attention to my medical needs.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2015

This was the worst doctor experience I've ever had. The staff was completely unprofessional, rude, and they actually lied to me. They told me I could arrive to my appointment ten minutes late because they had provided me with the incorrect address. When I rushed to arrive to their office (on time according to the ten minute window allotted to me), they registered my information as if I was going to see the doctor. Only, right before I was going to see the doctor, the staff came to me and said that actually the doctor would not see me now, and that I should have just kept my original appointment time. Even though they had told me ten minutes before that she would see me. That is called a lie. They are liars. Do you trust your health with people that lie? I cannot recommend enough that you AVOID THIS DOCTOR AND OFFICE.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

I would suggest going to a different neurologist. After going, I followed the regiment of exercise, diet, and medication. It did not help, and I have been just getting medicine refilled through them. IT IS A NIGHTMARE. When you call and pick the option to get a medicine refilled, you are sent to a voice mail box where no one ever calls you back. It would sometimes take 2 weeks to get migraine medicine that says "may cause seizures if you stop taking". That makes you sleep well at night.... Come to find out, (after calling multiple times,leaving messages, etc), they refused my prescription because of an appointment I canceled at least a YEAR ago. The staff is horribly rude and insulting. If you want to INCREASE your headache or migraine go here. Otherwise, don't waste your time. Don't drink caffeine and exercise is all the treatment/diagnosis you will get here.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2013

My time with Dr. Roy consisted of her and her PA talking into recorders while I just sat there. When I interrupted because the PA had misinterpreted something I told her earlier or tried to ask a question, Dr. Roy glared at me over the top of her reading glasses. Even worse, the medication she prescribed caused a painful complication so I called in (I had to call twice) and it took 2 days for a PA to call me back (no apology) and she had not even talked to the doctor so had no input of value to give. Twenty-four hours later I am still waiting for a doctor response and still suffering with side effects I feel are potentially harmful to me. I realize specialists are busy, but I've never had a doctor's office take more than a few hours to call me back, especially when pain is involved or potentially serious side effects. If your doctor refers you to this physician, ask for another choice. I'm waiting one more day before I do so.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2013

I was a patient of Dr. Roy's for almost two years when I decided to leave her practice.  Dr. Roy was a good doctor, (for the total 30 minutes I saw her), but her staff seem overwhelmed and unable to keep up with amount of patients she had. I very rarely received phone calls back (even when I had dosage questions about my prescriptions) and had several "red tape" issues with my insurance and pharmacy that her staff was unable to help with. I don't need to deal with a doctor's office that isn't going to be on my side and help me through the maze of "health care issues."  If Dr. Roy's office staff is so busy that they can't return phone calls and they can't avoid silly errors, then I don't need to trust them with my health.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2013

I have been going to Dr. Roy and her assistant for about 10 years now. She has been incredibly kind and patient during my visits and has taken all the time I needed to figure out what the best treatments would be for my migraines. I am totally mystified by the negative reviews listed here - they don't sound like her to me at all. My migraines have gone from dibilitating to totally manageable. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a kind,knowledgable and professional headache expert.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2011

I read what was here before I visited her office. I was very worried about seeing this uncaring woman. I had a huge wall up. When she came in and did the test that I was there for she told me her opinion. Then she looked at me and said do you have any questions? I looked at her and said I'm very confused about you. From what I read you were suppose to be a uncaring, hard, horrible person. I have to say at that time I knew she wasn't the monster I thought I had come to meet. She was caring, understand, and truly acted like she want to help. So far I can only report she is someone I would like on my team to help me with my health. I will update if anything about my opinion on her changes. ;) Layne

flag | Submitted June 30, 2011

Dr. Marci A. Roy's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical Branch At Galveston (Grad. 1992)