Ratings for Dr. James Edward Stone

I had my left knee totally replaced just over a week ago. Dr. Stone is very caring and willing to talk whenever he can. He has a great sense of humour and I know I am in great hands with him. I would not hesitate to refer him to anyone. My husband now has a referral for him as well. He is top notch in my books.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

Having had a total knee replacement with this doctor in November I would rate him 10 out of 10 on all aspects including his sense of humor. He let me know what my condition was and how it may improve A full replacement. The only thing I was unprepared for was the amount or level of pain postoperatively. 11 weeks in and I am doing much much better. Would not hesitate to refer this surgeonto any of my friends or family.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

Dr. Stone gave me my life back. I was prepared to fight for my right to knee replacements ( I am on the young side for TKR and I needed two), Dr Stone agreed with me and stated what made sense, why trade my 50's for my 60's. I went from barely walking with a cane to chasing my dog and moving, quickly, up and down stairs. I have no pain. I have complete mobility. My scars are virtually invisible. Thankyou , thankyou, thankyou, you are my hero.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

I was in a multi fatality car accident and was brought to victoria for surgery. Dr stone ended up repairing a badly fractured pelvis, hip replacement and ankle surgery. My ability to walk in the future was in question but Dr. Stone did an incredible job. Very friendly on multiple follow ups after each surgery. Staff is great and James is caring and a great surgeon.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2016

Dr.Stone is a rude and non caring doctor who worries about other things. He was always saying that he couldn't help me, and that there was nothing any doctor could do! When he finally agreed to do a surgery on me, it was very painful afterwards and I could barely walk. The stitches in my leg broke and my leg started bleeding. I went to a different doctor and rushed me into surgery because he found 4 cotton balls that were left from my previous surgery with Dr.Stone. In conclusion he was very rude, lacked personality, and was very unhelpful, and could have risked my leg if I hadn't gone to the other doctor. I would not under any circumstances recommend him.

Submitted April 5, 2016

I have had both knees replaced by Dr. Stone. His caring attitude was very reassuring before and after surgery. I highly recommend him especially for those that care not only about a great surgeon but a compassionate one as well.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2015

I had an approximate 2 hour wait for my appointment. He tried to get a pain response from both of my knees, 1 was injured & 1 had no problems. Both hurt during the exam equally. Dr. said he could feel fluid in the knee. I was told to continue to run & can increase the distance I run. Not put on MRI waitlist as Dr. wanted to take a wait & see approach & asked me to book a follow-up appointment. Dr. advised most private extended health plans available through one's employer would cover the cost of an MRI. Dr. declined to provide me with an estimate for MRI waitlist times. Several hours later after appointment, got pain in injured knee, continuous for about 1 week. Phoned clinic 3 times over 3 weeks (once per week) asking to be put in waitlist for MRI & if I should continue running. I was advised by the reception staff Dr. had not provided a response. Reception staff gave me estimated waitlist times each time I called ranging from 9 to 18 months for an MRI. Phoned my extended health insurer, of which I pay for privately as my employer does not offer benefits, who advised insurance companies in BC don't pay out on anything covered by MSP. Phoned private MRI clinic in BC who advised they have never heard of an insurance company covering the cost of an MRI. Whole experience was very disappointing. The trust in this Dr. patient relationship is gone. 3 months since injury & thankfully my GP has placed me on the MRI waitlist so I can get a diagnosis & get this problem fixed.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2015

I've waited some time after my total hip replacement (10 months) because I wanted to ensure there were no late surprises. There weren't any. The surgery was a complete success and I am really amazed that I have no sensation that an artificial part has replaced my hip. I chose Dr. Stone specifically because of the information on this website as well as the advice of a relative who works peripherally with most of the orthopedic surgeons in Victoria. On a scale of 1 to 10 on skill and professionalism, Dr. Stone is a 10.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2015

Dr. Stone is amazing!!! Wonderful bedside manner, informative and great at what he does!

flag | Submitted October 1, 2015

Dr.Stone did a posterolateral reconstruction on my knee march 2014, which I was told is an uncommon procedure. He eased all my concerns & worries by answering all my questions. Whilehe was performing the operation he found another ligament that was damaged as well so he fixed it. I'm sure other surgeons would have left that for a later date to make more money. He has genuine concern for his patients. I did my physio at rebalance, he was walking by on his lunchbreak & took the time to come & see how things are going. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him or the rebalance group witbout hesitation.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2015