Ratings for Dr. Dale N. Akkerman

My wife and I saw Dr. Akkerman for infertility. Akkerman diagnosed my wife with PCOS, the cause of our issues, but would not start treatment until I was tested. He explained that he needed to know if I had an issue before he would treat us, which seemed very logical at the time. Over the course of twelve months I had four sperm tests, two with a specialist at the U of M and one which the the lab botched and needed to be thrown away. At no point did Akkerman seem concerned by this, nor do I believe he was even aware. We left him and saw a different fertility doctor at a different clinic. This new doctor was very aggressive and started treatments immediately, explaining that male infertility is very rare and he would test me only if my wife's PCOS treatment wasn't working. No kidding, we we're pregnant after the first appointment which resulted in miscarriage. The second pregnancy happened later that year and the baby is due next week. I consider our time with Akkerman a complete waste. He wasted a year of our life chasing multiple sperm tests that were all normal in the end and which his fellow doctors did not care about. I felt he was very absent in our healthcare, not knowing about the botched test, not concerned about taking 12 months to have 4 identical sperm tests, and ultimately when we left silently without telling him or his staff he had no idea his patient left. I am not criticizing Akkerman for not getting us pregnant - ultimately that was luck, the second doctor just increased the probability. I criticize Akkerman for his apathy towards us, lack of aggression, and lack of management of our case. Honestly, if you have a diagnosis but 12 months later are not treating the patient the doctor needs notice. If we would have stayed with him we might be pregnant now, or I might be on my 7th sperm test. Guess I'll never know. There are some great infertility doctors in Minnesota, don't settle with Akkerman. If you are with Akkerman than best of luck.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2015

Very professional, knowledgeable, personable. Treats every question as an important one. Very respectful of the patient. Always has a female nurse come into the room for the exam.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Akkerman for 15 years. He has performed major surgery on me, helped my husband and I through fertility issues (resulting in healthy twins) and seen me through numerous irregularities in my reproductive system as well as being my gynecologist for routine checkups. At every single visit he has been attentive, kind, warm, and helpful. He has always listened to my concerns and opinions and explained things to me in a way I could understand. I have never felt rushed and in fact am usually encouraged to sit a moment and think about anything else I might like to ask during any given appointment. This doctor is the reason I have my children and he if leaves Park Nicollet Burnsville, I will follow to whatever clinic he goes to. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2011

He is a very knowledgeable doctor and takes the time to explain the procedure, the situation and my results to both myself and my partner. He is very receptive to my needs and accommodates them when he is able to. I was pretty nervous about the procedure, but with him talking me through what he was doing the whole time, and stopping to ask if I was doing okay after each step, he put me at ease. I would definitely recommend him to someone that would like a doctor that would take the time to explain what they are doing and what we could expect. Kudos!

flag | Submitted June 30, 2011

My husband and I are trying to conceive for over a year. I was referred to Dr Akkerman after beeing seen by another doctor. He was very helpful and knowledgable. He was very professional, took a long time and explained our options in detail without dwelling on emotions. He inquired about my husband's tests previously ordered by another doctor and offered to call on Christmas Day with the results. This was as good of an experience as one can have dealing with a health problem.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2011

Dr. Dale Akkerman is someone I would never refer to anyone. I was very disappointed in my consultation and how I was treated. I contacted the clinic after my visit to complain and they had Dr. Dale Akkerman contact me directly via phone. He was short with me and seemed annoyed with my questions. I felt very uncomfortable and because of this experience I will no longer be a patient with Park Nicollet in Burnsville

flag | Submitted February 23, 2010

I have had 4 babies. My last one was threatening to come on an evening that Dr. A Hole was on call. He was rude, condescending and completely unempathetic on the phone . Lets put it this way, I wasn't in any hurry to have this guy deliver my baby. I was fortunate to have the baby early the next morning and had a different OB deliver my 4th child. Crisis averted!

flag | Submitted March 11, 2009

I have seen Dr. Akkerman my whole pregnancy. He has addressed every concern, question, you name it. He is always gentle with me, and explains things to me so I can totally understand whats going on. He always makes sure all my questions are answered, and has been consistent during visits. I love him!

flag | Submitted June 13, 2008

Dr. Akkerman is a good doctor and provides quality prenatal care. Dr. Akkerman was very knowledgeable, but didn't have any empathy to my aches and pains. He told me to "get used to it". Those were his exact words. I didn't expect 100% resolution. I was just wondering if he had any ideas I hadn't tried yet to get more comfortable. I also informed him that I was going to try and have a natural birth. He said if I was in too much pain, I'd just have to have an epidural. I reminded him that I wanted a natural birth. He said," You'll want the epidural." I was more than a little tick off at his comment. So I switched to a Certified Nurse Midwife. I am so much happier now. Dr. Akkerman is very good at medicine and prenatal care, but looking at what the patient wants is not his strong suit. Would I go to him again? No. Would I recommend him? Yes, only if the person was not set on a natural birth.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2008

Dr. Dale N. Akkerman's Credentials

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)

UnitedHealthcare