Ratings for Dr. Michael Shapiro

On Friday, November 11, I had an appointment with Micheal Shapiro from Vanguard Dermatology to check out my acne. My appointment was called for 1pm so I left work earlier and cleared my schedule for an 1 and half. More then enough time to see and be at the doctor. When I came I was greeted by rude and obnoxious receptionist. They quickly asked me for payment- which I said I have insurance. They spoke amongst themselves and called me back and said we can't locate your insurance so we will charge your card and we will reimburse you once we have it. I figured I was already there and I'm sure I'll be able to clear it since I used the card just a few days ago so I agreed. When I asked how much is the charge the receptionist said $250, although I was quoted $200 over the phone. I made the payment and was assured within a matter of a few days the entire balance will be on my card. I asked how long was the wait and the receptionist said not long. Wow were they wrong! After a half hour I decided to check in, and was told again my appointment would be done within a few minutes. This went on for two and a half hours! At this point, I was frustrated and nervous since I had to be back in Brooklyn in time for the Sabbath. I knew if I didn't get up and leave within the hour, I would never make it in time. When I told one of the nurses I'll be leaving- she quickly got the doctor to see me. I finally calmed down and figured to myself I am already there and what's done is done, hopefully the Doctor will be able to help me and that would be worth the long wait. Since obviously he must be very good in his field if he is backed up. Boy was I wrong! I was put into a room and this time I had to wait 15 minutes, until Dr. Shapiro came in. He asked me for my name and why I was here. A basic protocol question and I went on to explain my reason for coming to him. Mid sentence he receives a call and ignores me while he starts speaking on the phone to another patient who wanted to make an appointment. I was baffled by the lack of professionalism! Why is a doctor taking the time to make an appointment with another patient, while he has someone in his office. Even more so, that job is a job for a receptionist. After a few minutes he gets off the call and calls the person back to confirm his appointment. Dr Shapiro, responds to a couple of text and while looking on his phone he says so what do you think I can do for you. Clearly I'm not a dermatologist and I came there for his experience so why exactly is he asking me what he can do for me. I was extremely disappointed, I paid $250 for a 3 minute appointment, which the doctor had no knowledge or guidance on how to help me. I waited close to 3 hours, was berated by the receptionist and after all that I didn't get the service which I paid for. I didn't have the time to stew since the Sabbath was coming. I explained to Dr Shapiro that I am Jewish and I have to be back in Brooklyn since I am Sabbath observant. He responded I am Jewish too and I work on the Sabbath. I don't care what his religious beliefs are and what he does, but to say that he crossed a line. I rushed home seconds before the Sabbath. The following Monday I called Vanguard dermatology, to speak with a manager and give my insurance card over the phone so I can be reimbursed, this time a friendly receptionist heard me out and quickly exclaimed why were you charge $250 when we typically charge only $200. She assured me that the office manager will call me back that day. I waited and didn't receive a call on Monday so I called back again on Wednesday. Again, I was told that the manager will call me back. I left numerous messages and no one from Vanguard ever called me back. I can't fathom how a place such as theirs seize exist!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2017

Please don't go here! He removed a cyst and butchered me and let me leave the office witha bloody hair! No wound care advice! Wound got infected and I'm seeing another doctor! Please stay away

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

I'm not to happy with the punctuality, And service from Dr Shapiro.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

Dr. Shapiro is a very good doctor, I was there with my father inlaw to translate for him. I can say he is the most patient doctor that I have ever met. He told my father inlaw that the side effects of the surgery are temporary and everything was going to be ok all came true. In time everything was healed and he is doing very well now. The way he explained to my father inlaw and the time he spend with him was an extra step that most of the doctors don't really take. He needs to do 2 more skin surgeries and we are going back to Dr. Shapiro.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2014

Very knowledgeable and patient friendly doctor. He treats his patients with respect and on the individual level. He sees patients as people not as business. He won't do the unnecessary procedure just to increase his payment. Overall I recommend this doctor to anyone who needs to see a dermatology specialist.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2012

Pretty good doctor. Wants to get to the bottom of your problem. There is a wait, but it seems well worth it.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2010

worst doctor i ever been to. Left me a big scar on my head. Before going under nife i asked him if i'll have any scar after this and he said no, which was a lie

flag | Submitted March 2, 2010

Dr. Shapiro is very knowledgeable and friendly. He went out of his way to explain every step of my surgery and make me feel comfortable.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2009

He is a very good doctor. I gave him a rating of 5 for both helpfulness and knowledge because he found a small skin cancer on my face, and he made time to do a special surgery (Mohs surgery) the same day! I originally went to see Dr. Shapiro for sun spots, and he has helped me with those as well and I'm very satisfied with the result. Highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2009

Unforunately the other reviewers are not aware that they are reviewing the wrong Dr. Michael Shapiro.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2008

Dr. Michael Shapiro's Credentials

• University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)