Ratings for Dr. Efstathios Papavassiliou

This is the first time I've ever left a "review" for a doctor. What drove this review was disgust at the unprofessional and humiliating encounter I had with this surgeon. I was referred to him after hearing good things from my family who's seen him for years. I have a severe herniated disc and sought help of some sort with hopes in returning to my regular life. I left there with nothing but anger at the way I was treated. He essentially laughed at my MRI and really didn't examine the issue physically. Apparently my problem wasn't worthy of his royal presence. As a lifelong athlete I was horrified and disappointed at this encounter. If you want respect, I'd go elsewhere. I'm sure he's a great surgeon, so I've heard, but he's rude and incredibly dismissive. My family was horrified at this incident and may be rethinking their future care. You can find good surgeons who also know how to treat patients with respect whether or not you can assist them.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

He was kind, patient and empathetic. Clearly explained pros and cons of surgery and answered all my questions.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say. I've seen Dr Papa several times over nearly 20 years for a variety of spinal issues. I had excellent results with conservative treatment for many years (PT, injections), and was always able to get back to my normal active life. I always knew that ultimately I'd need surgery, but we waited till the "right time". The outcome of my surgery was excellent. I was back to work FT in about 4 months; I run, hike, bike, and care for my young grandkids. In short, I'm able to do everything I want to do.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I just had a visit with this doctor last week and thought he was fantastic. he was earl my appointment, he knew my entire history and he explained everything in detail. he also said he is conservative when it comes to performing surgery, however in my case, surgery is the best option. and he is my second opinion. he introduced me to his assistant Barbara and they were terrific to talk to and answered all of my questions, made me feel comfortable and told me I could call with any questions, any time! 5 stars! Plus I people who have family that work as physicians in other specialities and in other hospitals, and all had great things to say about this neurosurgeon!

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

I just saw Dr. Papavassiliou last week regarding the back pain I was suffering due to a thoracic arachnoid cyst. I found him very intelligent, and helpful. He seemed genuinely concerned with my condition and how we could remedy it. I will be having him perform my surgery.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2015

I have the opposite view of the previous reviewers. I found the doctor to be very interested in my case and what I had to say about my condition and specific details of what was happening to me. Above all, I appreciate his conservative approach to surgery, I thought I was going to be admitted to the hospital for surgery the same day I saw him (for a herniated disk in my spine). But he recommended physical therapy and cortisone injections first and surgery later only if all else fails. He was actually a little early for my appointment. I rated him "5" in all categories.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2013

Just being honest. This MD has extremely poor to absolutely no bedside manner. He is not interested in what the patient has to say or give any thoughts to unique situations. Very late on appointments and blames BI staff for overbooking. Smug attitude. Poor planning and education in patient care. If you smoke, he will cast judgement on you so beware. Awful experience, I'm just glad I had enough sense to choose a different physician before any elective surgery.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2013

I saw him several years ago and still remember my visit vividly. He was rude and dismissive to the nurse on duty, was negative and insulting to me, declaring I would need surgery in the next 3 years (it's been about 10 years and I'm still managing pretty well), told me my chiropractor was basically useless or worse, and might actually be damaging my spine. Mostly I remember him as being an arrogant, closed-minded know-it-all, displaying all of the worst God-complex traits your hope to not find in a doctor. I have had so many good doctors over the years, this guy really stands out as being one of the absolute worst.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2013

quick temeper, rude, no bedside manner, didn't want to waste his time

flag | Submitted September 8, 2012

Dr. Efstathios Papavassiliou's Credentials

• Univ Athens, Fac Med, Sch Of Hlth Sci, Nat'L & Kapodistrian, Athens (Grad. 1990)