Dr. Jon E. Berner

5 1 4.0

You may also like

Rate Dr. Jon E. Berner

Dr. Jon E. Berner's Ratings

Dr. Jon Berner is wonderful beyond words. He listens. He CARES. He does not stand for B.S., and neither do I, so we get along marvelously. I knew he was a truly genuine person the second I met him. He explains things so well, he is extremely blunt, he hides nothing from you (I had an old Psychiatrist who would prescribe me random medications without telling me why - she kept her notes and her thoughts private and was very restrictive about which meds she prescribed, and pussyfooted around, and I felt that she hid her diagnosis speculations from me.) Not the case with Dr. Berner. He is 100% transparent. With Dr. Berner, on my very first appointment, after less than 10 minutes of talking, he diagnosed me, explained it to me very thoroughly yet succinctly and told me that it is very treatable, laid out the options for treatment, let me choose which path I was most comfortable going down, and I haven't looked back since. My quality of life has improved one thousand percent in just the six months I've been seeing him because of his ingenious perception and true compassion. He is very clearly an extremely intelligent man. If you are a B.S.-er, not completely honest, or offended by extremely direct bluntness (or not prepared to face your illness/diagnosis), you will not fare well with him. Conversely, if you are honest with him, he will make leaps and bounds to relentlessly figure out the intricacies of your brain and the precise medications and dosages for you. He is not afraid of being cutting-edge. He knows his stuff backwards and forwards and upside down, but doesn't let himself get stuck in trenches; he's always trying new things. He is very opinionated - he sees things for what they are and WILL call it as he sees it. These quick flashes of insight can be off-putting because he comes up with them so quickly, but once you realize these "insights" come from a lighting-fast, intuitive, rational and experienced mind, you will realize what a gem of a doctor you've found. Be honest, get used to his quick pace, and thank your lucky stars you have found him.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2858158].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 7, 2015

Dr. Berner is exceptional. He has an active mind, and uses it. He shows a natural interest in his patients, and at the same time is excited and informed about up-to-date therapies. He is common-sense, responsible, and unrestricted by void conventionality. He is useful. He is interested in figuring things out, and tries hard. Since my illness is unsatisfying to diagnose or to explain, he helps me as he can: by treating my symptoms. I feel mostly understood by him. He is not typical in demeanor, is somewhat unbridled in his expression, and it's easy enough to believe that his personality might challenge some patients. But I see a man with a certain, noble, gawky, integrity. I don't wonder for a moment why he's a psychiatrist: He genuinely likes other people and life. I am sure he is especially great with teenagers, who are such great experts in rooting out hypocrisy. He's big hearted, sentimental, brainy, enthusiastic, excited by his work, and bored with foolishness, including any notion that he is less human than the rest of us.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2804620].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 12, 2015

April 2015 - I have been seeing Dr. Berner since the summer of 2006 and believe him to be extremely smart, careful, and personally very caring about the health and welfare of his patients. Dr. Berner probably saved me from becoming a person with a very hard road in life, but due to his great knowledge about dealing with medicines and how they work in the brain & body, I too am one of those who believe he pretty much, "saved my life" - or perhaps, the QUALITY of my life.
He is NOT just a "pill dr." whatsoever. Even though when I first came to him I think I would have been seen as a pretty reliable, low risk patient as far as non-truthful reporting, etc, let me tell you that he was VERY knowledgeable about the ways that some people might try to "Dr. Shop", etc, and he did he due diligence very promptly & appropriately in that after a few months he required me to go to a special clinic to get small portions of my hair cut out (it looked fine afterwards btw!) so that it could be tested to see what medications I had taken and when, etc, and when everything came back fine, his level of trust increased with me.
Dr. Berner appears to have dedicated his life to researching how to best help his Patients by prescribing the correct medications for what their diagnosis or condition calls for. In early 2012 I became "sick" with some type of unknown illness that I had never experienced before, unrelated to the medication I was taking at the time, but I experienced the strangest symptoms I've ever had. Long story short, neither my GP nor about 5 other Medical Doctors I went to were able to figure out why I had experienced these very odd, never before have I had symptoms. Dr. Berner had me come in and he handed me paperwork requesting to have my blood tested for some type of levels of something related to my Thyroid, and WOW! He was right on, for those results showed that something BAD (all the details are too long to go into here) was showing up in my blood work and the numbers of it were, "off the Charts!". Now I know and all my other physicians are aware of a rare condition I have, that may or may not return again at some point in my life, but IF I do have an onset of it again, I now have in place the correct type of Doctor who will be able to help me with the appropriate medicines (in the hospital) right away, rather than have to go untreated and suffer those terrible and scary symptoms! The type of Doctor I will need to be treated by will be in the field of Rheumatoid issues, not a psychiatrist or psyche type of medicine, although I certainly will call Dr. Berner if it happens again.
I'm pretty sure that Dr. Berner has a genius IQ, and sometimes. his thinking is so far ahead and advanced than most of us, he may come across as a bit "fast" or even perhaps a little "quirky" maybe, but trust me, he's not anything but a good, smart, caring Physician who helps his patients very, very much. I would highly recommend him to anyone. He's excellent, as is his staff, Patty & Betsy and the others there.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2775767].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 13, 2015

I took my son with disabilities to see Dr. Berner as my son is dealing with substance abuse. He explained to us both that Rehab doesn't work in a very arrogant manner. My son has been fighting rehab because of this advice from him. He is now heading to rehab because his addiction only got worse. This doctor gives very dangerous advice.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2431527].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 25, 2014

If it wasn't for Dr. Jon Berner, I truly believe I would not be alive today! Dr. Berner has been my daughters Psychiatrist for about 8 yrs. She is 19 now and diagnosed Aspergers, Schitzo Effect Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, O.C.D. Oppositional defiant Disorder... Basically a mess! He has worked with her non stop looking for just the right combination of meds to make life as best as he can for her and I. He is VERY compassionate and caring! ALWAYS making me feel at ease and comfortable. Because of my child he eventually took me as a patient too. I couldn't find a Pychiatrist for myself and when he finally accepted me I was elated. I can only give praise and approval for this wonderful man. Thank You Dr. Jon Berner! You Care!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2431526].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

Ok, I will say that Dr. Berner is an excellent physician in the field of psychiatry in my experience. Some people may not like the fact that he is blunt & honest(if you are very easily offended), but I find that helpful if you are serious about treating an illness. He also tends to keep up to date on the latest research in psychiatry instead of just going with what they learned decades ago, which some do. However, his staffperson/secretary is one of the worst/unempathetic people I have had the displeasure of dealing with in the entire medical system & have suffered days of tormented withdrawals as a result of her willfull indifference. An example is how relieved I was when she was gone & the secretary of another doctor offered to help me deal w/ Dr. Berner. She was far more humane than the Dr's reg secretary was. This is not a criticism of the Dr. & in the end it is worth it as he is excellent.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2431525].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2014

So I wrote on here before that Dr Berner is an amazing physician. I still maintain that point but I would like to point out that his staff is horrid. I asked them to send the prescription to Medco and they said that I had to provide the form. So I found the form and faxed it to them. Then they told me that they dont deal with insurance companies. They did not tell me up front what their policy was on this and it isn't even written in ANY of their forms/paperwork they give you! I am seriously considering no longer coming to him because of the extreme lack of customer service and the inconsistency. The only reason I am staying is because Dr Berner is good at what he does. But I will leave if there are any more problems like this as it is extremely disrespectful and a waste of my time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][889428].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 23, 2012

I read another post on here about how someone had a bad experience with Jon Berner. I can see how this might have come about. After seeing Jon myself, I learned that he tends to discuss possible causes and diagnosis with you. He treats you as an equal and tries to provide his sometimes very complex knowledge to you in the hopes that you will understand why it is a possibility, or why he is lead to believe that. In many cases even suggesting things like Schizophrenia would send up alarm as mental illnesses carry a large amount of stigma. In all honesty, he has a practical approach. He doesn't hide anything from you. Some doctors will hide everything in their charts. Jon Berner doesn't. If you want an honest doctor come to him. In addition when I brought up my unique situation he pulled out a recent study and showed it to me. He is fully versed in even new developments in the field. I HIGHLY recommend him because you will never be left in the dark and you will learn about your health.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][889427].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 17, 2012

This is a great doctor. He is concerned about his patients and does not rush you. Dr. Berner seemed to always be on top of all the latest medical information & options. His knowledge of different medications and even updates when side effects were discovered not previously listed were something I had not experienced with other doctors. I highly recommend meeting with Dr. Berner if you are establishing a new doctor.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][889426].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 30, 2011

As a patient for 10 years, I believe Berner is one of the most intelligent and motivated doctors I've ever met. He knows his medications inside and out and is ALWAYS thinking outside of the box. Not only is he and MD, he is also a Ph.D in neuropsychology(?) I think that's what it's called. He continually self-educates to stay current. He has dealt humanely with issues that caused my initial reason for visiting (PTSD and head injury) and worked relentlessly on things that have manifested over the years. I've recommended others to him and they have come away feeling confident in his knowledge of psychiatry. I've personally heard glowing, unsolicited, reports from his peers. He is absolutely phenomenal about returning calls. His only failing (for some) is that he tells it bluntly as it is. There is little hand holding. Personally, I prefer this, but he doesn't suffer fools gladly and can spot b.s. pretty quickly.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][889425].votes_count ]]