Ratings for Dr. Michael D. Merkin

Dr Merkin was excellent at getting my history down. He couldn't identify the source of my problem, but said from a neuro perspective I am totally fine. Then as I was walking out of his office the staff handed me a paper to take to another specialist that had a diagnosis of trigeminal neuralagia. The doctor never said anything to be about this. I called the office and they said that was my diagnosis. No offer to speak with the doctor to clarify matters. Poor communication.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Rude and arrogant. Ordered an MRI of the brain and informed me it came out normal. Two years later a follow up by another neurologist discovered a cyst in the old MRI Dr Merkin ordered when he used it for comparison to a new one. Very low confidence in this doctor. confidence

flag | Submitted April 1, 2017

Dr. Merkin may be a very knowledgeable neurologist but his bedside manner is horrendous. I would not recommend him for anyone with a neurological problems that also have a neurocognitive component as he is not particularly helpful in this regard. Moreover, after ordering a test He appeared at the follow up visit to have absolutely no idea who had ordered the test or why. The whole purpose of the follow up visit was to go over this and other tests. There are plenty of neurologists in New Jersey. I regret to say that I cannot recommend this one and will not return.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Merkin by my PCP. I have no complaint about Dr. Merkin, but had to discontinue seeing him because his staff wasted my time twice in 1 week. I was scheduled for an EEG on a Tuesday at 1PM. Arrived and signed in at 12:40, and by 1:30 my presence in the office had not even been acknowledged. When I asked what was taking so long, the receptionist said "we're running behind." I could not spend all afternoon waiting, so rescheduled for the following week. They called me on Monday to reconfirm my appointment for Tuesday morning 9AM for the EEG. When I arrived on Tuesday morning, the actual appointment was for a follow-up with Dr. Merkin, which was completely irrelevant since no further test results were available since my last visit. I was then told that the EEG was actually scheduled for Wednesday. The receptionist claimed she called to reconfirm the follow-up, not the EEG, but she did say EEG and even asked if I already had the special instructions. Will not return.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2013

I found Dr. Merkin to be quite arrogant. During my appt, he left the room to take a call and was very rude with the party on the other end and then came in and complained about them to me. (not exactly fostering a sense of confidence in someone who is facing the possibility of MS). His exam was thorough, he took his time, but when I wanted to talk about my symptoms, if it was outside of the strict list of textbook neurological symptoms, he dismissed it. One symptom, that appears on my skin, he wouldn't even look at. When I asked what the findings on my MRI "could possibly" indicate, refused to tell me, stating that there are so many things that he didn't want to get into that right now. I got the distinct impression that he didn't feel I was capable of either understanding or processing that information appropriately. I have since found another neurologist who respects me enough to be open and honest with me and doesn't try to control the experience.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2009

Was first visit...Liked that he started out conservative. Will see how thing go after test results are in

flag | Submitted November 5, 2008

I find Dr. Merkin not very personal. He IS very knowledable; however, it's more business operated than person operated. I have seen Dr. Merkin for the last two years and I am still trying to find a neuro that is both knowledgable and caring. It seems almost impossible to find a doctor with both of these traits. If Dr. Merkin was caring then I'd probably give him a perfect rating. Also- an average apt. is 10 minutes. You're in and out of the office before you know. I don't feel this is enough time to see if someone is okay. I had to ask him to prescribe blood work because he simply refused to do it- even though the treatment I was on stated that blood work should be done every 3 months.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2006

I've been seeing Dr. Merkin for 4 years now and am very happy in his care. He is honest and straightfoward and also is good at sensing people. He can always tell when I need more time with him and will spend as much time with me as I need. He allows be to be very active in my medical care and talks and treats me as an equal. His office staff is WONDERFUL! They are always friendly, caring, prompt and polite.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2005

Dr. Michael D. Merkin's Credentials

• Umdnj-Robt W Johnson Med Sch, New Brunswick Nj 08901 (Grad. 1985)