Ratings for Dr. Robert S. Hood

Dr. Hood is a very careful and meticulous Doctor who searches for best solution; with surgery being the final solution. Each back patient is very different as was carefully explained to me, including complete reviews of MRI's etc. I was treated like an intelligent human being, which I greatly appreciated. He did do surgery and found a very hardened and pointed/sharp separated chunk of disk, with the point on the Sciatica nerve. It was removed, the herniated disk cleaned up, and space created in my spine to remove the compression. I had but little swelling or bruising, no significant bleeding, but stiffness. I under went a vigorous physical therapy rehabilitation. Dr. Hood gave me a permanent lifting restriction of 45 pounds. I experimented with weights up to 45 pounds, and found max weight to be stressful, so I now know my limits and have adhered strictly to them. A neighbor had almost same type of surgery, but was not given 45 pound lift restriction. Once he started lifting more than that his eventual outcome was far worse than mine. I am very grateful that Dr. Hood gave me at a significant part of my life back. He is a kind and good man, and an excellent Surgeon. I highly recommend Dr. Hood. Be patient, listen carefully, and believe him if you want to keep your back well. He is difficult to see, very busy, and sometimes you may have to wait a while to get in, and when you get to the facility. The Staff, assistants, etc were all excellent. JM 2015

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017

Very compassionate and caring Doctor.....goes the extra mile for you?...

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

The time I waited in the waiting room was excessive but once I got into the room with Dr Hood I was more than satisfied. Dr Hood was wonderful and very knowlegable. He did a fusion of C5-6 and I am very happy with my results. He is the only person I will allow to operate on my neck/back. Hope he doesn't retire or leave EVER! Even though its a 5 hr drive to get to his office from where I live I would gladly do it again.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2014

This man destroyed my discs and I am permanently disabled from his lack of surgical follow through. Not only did he cut out two of my lowest discs, but he failed to fuse my spine or replace the discs with a prosthesis. His work was shabby, and even my PCP told me that his surgical work looked on my MRI like it was done out of an army tent in the middle of the desert. Please DO NOT get spinal surgery from this man.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2014

When I first saw Dr. Hood I had such sciatica nerve pain that I could not walk. He operated on my lumbar spine in November, 1991. I have osteoarthritis and a bone spur had grown around the sciatic nerve and was squeezing the nerve. He also removed several pieces of discs that had herniated in the same area. The surgery gave me ten great years with no restrictions. I had another surgery in 2001 because the bone spur had grown back. This surgery was done by another doctor in another state. It was horrible and I had to have months of physical therapy so I could walk again. I still have problems to this day and I have often wished I had come to Salt Lake and had Dr. Hood do that second surgery. I think he is the very best.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2013

Advised physical therapy and other non-invasive procedures before he would agree to performing surgery. He is a most trusted doctor.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2012

I had my C-5-6,C-6-7 fused. Other people who have had this surgery still have problems....but I have had such wonderful results. Dr. Hood is an excellent surgeon.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2009

Surgery went outstanding. Now I am being held as a medical hostage. My job requires a small amount of paperwork by Hood and his office (one letter) for me to return to work. He has been too busy for three weeks. Everything went well untill he did the part he gets paid for. I wish I owed him money!

flag | Submitted March 17, 2009

I had a pituitary tumor removed by Dr.Hood and he did a fantastic job. He was very confident and some say cocky but I decided I wanted someone confident operating on my brain. I will return to him if my tumor grows back. He was really good to me.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2009

The first time I went in the girl behind the desk was rude and short with me but she did do me the favor of making an appointment. She is gone (quit I'm told). I waited in the office for 45 min. and finally was allowed access. Once behind the door everything changes. Dr. hood spent as much time with me as I could have possibly needed he was very educational and answered a long list of questions without reserve. I am optimistic about his surgical skill and would recomened you wait it out in his office because he is probably giving his current patient the service you expect.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2009

Dr. Robert S. Hood's Credentials

• Univ Of Ok Coll Of Med, Oklahoma City Ok 73190 (Grad. 1970)