Ratings for Dr. Steven M. Rapp

Dr. Rapp is the best Dr. I ever had. He has always listened and explains everything well. He is very professional. He will not perform surgery if it is not needed and surgery is what he does best. I would recommend him to anyone! Thank you Dr. Rapp for all your help!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2018

I have have heard very bad things about him from others who know him well

flag | Submitted March 15, 2018

This man examined me in the hospital back in 1994 and told me thst i needed brain surgery. I had already been in the hospital for a month due to a extremely rare auto-immune condition many doctors had only heard of in medical school. There was no way i was going to get brain surgery without getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Come to find out out....this "condition" i needed surgery for...99% OF PEOPLE ARE BORN WITH IT!!! It is simply where the base of the skull and spinal cord meet and most sit lower than perfect placement!! If you are reading this....you are probably one of the 99%!!!! I would not recommend this Dr. Or his brother, also a Dr to anybody or take my dying dog to either of them!!!!! If either of these Doctors are referred to you, or say you need surgery of any kind....PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE get another opinion for your own safety. Im sure glad i did and feel that may have save my life, or perhaps living in a wheelchair or worse.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

A few years ago, I was referred to Dr. Rapp by family doctor, just heard his name again today 1/18/17 and cringed. To begin my surgery was delayed due to scheduling problems with conferences and vacations, here I am in excruciating pain, unable to walk, but was told to wait. Ultimately had the surgery and was thrilled to be sitting, walking, standing, etc. and home in 3 days. Rushed back to the hospital within hours with a raging fever... spinal meningitis! Spent the next month in the hospital and was released on IV antibiotics, twice a day, at home, for a few more months. Dr. Rapp would not re-admit me under his name because as he said "I don't get infections" so he put me under my family doc name. When I expressed that he had not told me of this potential life threatening complication to my surgery, his response was "well, what choice did you have, you couldn't walk?" It would have been nice to at least know and make decisions for myself. I have never been pain free, traded one problem for a different one and today my spine continues to slowly deteriorate. Best advice is to do/try everything in your power to avoid surgery all together. Too many surgeons are way to eager to cut. If you are reading this, I suspect that you have a medical problem and I wish you the best of luck.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

Very good doc! Knows his stuff...he's very busy and sometimes long to get an appt but very worth it.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2015

The Dr. spent 5 minutes with me, he examined me for about 15 seconds and he was talking about surgery already. Never asked me for the history of my problem.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2014

Very disrespectful. Late over an hour. Treated like we were there to get insurance payout.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2013

Please do not go to this man, honestly he did me wrong.I should have thought long and hard when he gave me a Milogram and when the dye was being injected the pain was unbearable and my legs were going numb, he did not really care he said it was because of a herniated disk, now I know it was done wrong, maybe a wrong space or hit a nerve I do know it should not have hurt me that much. I had ended up having spine surgery now I am in worse pain, ended up with severe nerve damage. Lucky for him I was not able to sue but I just learned I can go to the state for any complaints. I honestly cannot believe I have to live the rest of my life like this, it is just not fair.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2013

Ive disabling injry since 2008herniation lumbr disc lwer side.Couldnt walk for mths,in rehab.Back med 5xs day.Went to Dr. Rapp ortho surg.Waited 2mths.Got there 1rst thing was told by front desk Joanie they dn't take Medicare.Id called on way said they did.Also asked when 1rst made apt.After that I had Xrays on a disc & MRI.Xrays didnt have the report.I asked if they'd call and get them,Joanie got rude w me & said I had to do that,so fine.I got upset.Wasn't feeling well.Other girl,Blonde scrubs &braid.She said if im so upset I can leave.I said no I'd still like to meet w doctor to let him know how Id been treated.I tried getting Xray report & was gettng sent ovr I thought about it talked to primary doctor &my mom all appalled at treatment said I should leave so did.I said this office is discriminatory against those on Medicare.They don't think about u as people.Only in terms of insurance. Never mind Im master student can't help injury,figure I'm Medicare recipient.Contacting Medicare.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2013

Dr Rapp came highly recommended by my family doctor. I had a problem or two with one of his front desk staff, but the others have been very helpful and professional. He is a busy man, and is almost always late, but after he walked out of his office full of patients waiting to see him to follow us to the hospital to perform emergency surgery on me, I will never complain about having to wait to see him. He has worked on 3 different areas of my spine and spoke to me before and after every one of them. He spent a great deal of time explaining what he saw on my MRI and what he could do to help me. He also worked on my husband, and we were very satisfied with Dr Rapp's beside manner, professionalism, and his work. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs to see a neurosurgeon!

flag | Submitted November 24, 2012

Dr. Steven M. Rapp's Credentials

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1976)