Ratings for Dr. Lewis Teperman

I have to agree with the reviewers who complained about Dr. Teperman's arrogance, as well as his disappearing act once he figures out that you're no longer a useful guinea pig for him. We've come to expect arrogance in surgeons, and I can live with that if I feel I'm getting optimal care and the doctor is listening to and communicating with me. This guy offered neither -- he's just a gigantic, self-serving ego in overpriced cowboy boots. He'd been monitoring my husband's liver for months but somehow missed three fast-growing tumors, and by the time they were discovered, a transplant was ruled out. As soon as I started to ask Dr. Teperman specific questions about treatment, types of chemo, types of cancer, etc., he said, "I'm not an oncologist" and left the room -- without another word! Pompous and condescending. I don't care how many degrees he has, where he studied, or how high his IQ is -- he shouldn't be dealing with patients. Bottom line: he is unable to diagnose my husband's condition accurately, and without diagnostic skills, he's useless. If you're going to act all-powerful, you'd better deliver the goods--and this clown can't. There are many good docs out there -- find another one! And if you're in NYC, avoid NYU.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2015

Horrible! Pompous and arrogant. When something goes right he is at the fore front but when something goes wrong he is nowhere to be found! Definitely does not know how to speak to people! He made somebody cry while I was in the room as a 1st time visitor. I'll take my chances and go elsewhere!

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

I was a healthy 40 year old woman who had a deseased liver that occurred by taking precription medication. This was the first time I had ever been hospitalized in my life. Dr. Teperman and his team were amazing! The compassion they showed me and there genuine concern for my well being brings me to tears (of joy) everytime I think about it. Each time I was seen pre and post surgery. Someone would offer me a pat on the foot or leg when they passed by my hospital bed. Through this difficult time, Dr. Teperman and his staff showed a level of care that exceeded my expectations and I did not expect. He is more than the surgeon who saved my life. He and his team are an extension of my family. I will always hold a special place in my heart for them.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2010

Dr. Teperman is by far the best surgeon in NY. He is compassionate, caring and knowledgeable. He kept my hope alive while I awaited a life saving liver transplant. His positive energy was exactly what I needed to get through my liver and kidney failure. He was also extremely supportive to my family as they sat by my side in the hospital and he was a huge source of comfort as we navigated the unfamiliar transplant territory. Post-transplant, his care has been thorough and spot on. He and his team are the best.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2010

My husband and I came in to consult with Dr. Teperman with some hesitation considering some of the reviews we've read on Gooogle,,,,,,now hear this: we found him to be Patient, informative, compassionate, and even charming..!

flag | Submitted September 16, 2010

After being diagnosed with an extremely rare liver condition, considered to be fatal by most of the other doctors that I had seen, Dr. Teperman not only gave me hope but managed to get me a transplant, sooner rather than later. That was 7 years ago, and I am now completely cured of my condition. However, he is not an easily person to reach without an appointment.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2009

Dr. Teperman is head of the Liver Transplant Team at NYU. I was a liver donor for my cousin. He is arrogant and difficult. I thought those were OK qualities in a surgeon. The surgery went OK, but the follow-up care was disastrous. When it was discovered that I was growing sick with complications as a result of a mistake, he was nowhere to be found. When he DID surface, he admitted there had been a mistake, but treated me like a second-class citizen because "not one of my patients has ever had complications like this." I was ignored and then improperly treated. I returned to the hospital with complications FOUR times in 40 days. Two days after my final release, I was rushed to another hospital by ambulance. When they asked if I wanted to return to NYU, I said ABSOLUTELY NOT. I was diagnosed, treated and eventually recovered from the care at the second hospital. Dr. Teperman was called by my new doctor and Dr. Teperman told him "I did the best I could with her here."

flag | Submitted October 4, 2007

Dr. Lewis Teperman's Credentials

• Mount Sinai School Of Medicine Of City University Of New York (Grad. 1981)