Ratings for Dr. Rowin E. Cantrell

I was a patient, by force. She put me on a drug to "help" my problem. There was no problem. She didn't look at my medical history, for conditions or possible drug conflict. I told her that I didn't feel right. She said that I was imagining that. One early morning, I took my dog out. I felt feint and reached for the brick ledge. Then I came to. I had passed out. My glasses were six feet away. My face was bleeding. I didn't have to call my dog because, she was right there. I went upstairs to sleep for a couple more hours. When I was ready to face the day, I went downstairs. My sister was standing there. When she saw my face, she asked what happened. I told her and she had me sit so she could take my blood pressure. She took it three times because it was so low - 64/48. She asked me how I was even walking around. I called my medical doctor who said, "Stop taking that medicatiin, now. If you don't, you will, most likely, be in a coma or dead by Monday." I listened. When I went to my appointment, with Cantrell, I told her what had happened and that I stopped taking it. She responded with, "I prescribed that medication for you to take. You will take it until I say otherwise. I don't care if it kills you, you will take it." In my opinion, she is a drug dealer. I have wondered how many people died while under her "care". How do people like this get a license?

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

Wow, in all the time I've been in Psychiatric services, I have found Dr. Cantrell to be among the best, if not the best. She is very engaged and was able to diagnose and treat correctly my disorder, when others, including so-called "Top Doctors" (from when I had insurance) did not. In fact, the "Top Doctor" had me on so much anti-depression medication, well over the recommended dosages, that it worsened the my symptoms. They also did not heed my complaints of other symptoms which turned out to be those of bi-polar disorder. Dr. Cantrell identified the disorder and worked with me to find the right combination of meds without piling more and more on top of each other. She has been kind. I find the comments below to be way out of character with the doctor I know. It makes me suspect of the complaints below.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2012

Dr. Rowin Cantrell is Intelligent, observant, and extremely kind. She diagnosed me correctly and expertly and has obvious expertise in her field. She is a compassionate person and physician, and I am pained to see these negative reviews of her.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2011

I went to Dr. Cantrell for bipolar I treatment. I was going downhill fast and knew it. Instead, she said I could see her in a month for a 15 min. med check. When I told her I wanted to see her earlier, she said two weeks. Her appointment included me doing math problems in my head and remembering dates--this after she had clearly run out of things to ask me. She had her head in her notebook the entire time. No compassionate listening. I've seen a lot of doctors in my day and never have I felt so belittled or bewildered. Two weeks later I was an even bigger mess, got no help and cried as I left her office. I saw another doctor as soon as possible. He sent me on a month-long stay in the mental hospital. There, I worked with a team of doctors and each one said that in my fragile state I needed intensive, long-term treatment. More than six months later, I still see my doctors every week. How such a well trained doctor could miss this--and with me begging for help!--is remarkable.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2008

Most of us looking for a good psychiatrist are seeking someone who is caring and compassionate. Dr. Cantrell just doesn't have these qualities and is astonished to find out that patients think she lacks what is takes to be a good psychiatrist. Somehow I wasn't surprised to see that she was "astonished" to find out that she has no perception of how she comes across to her patients - or those who stick around for more. I moved on and feel so great having someone who is truly caring. Dr. Cantrell, you just don't see yourself as your patients see you. You are in the wrong profession.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2007

I am absolutely stunned by these comments. and yes I did rate myself. I have always scheduled a full 25 minutes for my patients regardless of their insurance. I have often discounted my rates for patients who cant pay the full rate. I strive to return all phone calls same day or at least within 24 hours. I am available 24/7 for urgent matters on my personal cell phone. I often return phone calls on Saturday and Sundays if I haven't reached a patient on friday.I run on time and respect my patients time. I am a highly qualified UCLA trained physician and I care deeply about my patients, their suffering and the serious stigma patients with mental illness have to cope with. I strive to be the most helpful and knowledgeable physician I can be and am constantly reading and learning so I can improve my practice. I believe that physicians should have the same opportunity to defend their reputations on these websites as patients have the opportunity to damage them. Respectfully Rowin Cantrell

flag | Submitted October 2, 2007

This psychiatrist is rude, impatient and condescending. She always acts as though she can't wait for you to finish the session so she can get on with better things. Since most people going to a psychiatrist are having emotional problems, I would suggest you avoid this doctor as she makes it very clear that you are just a nuisance. There are psychiatrists out there who know what they're doing and provide support. She is not one of them.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2007

I was prescribed a sustained release anti-depressant and told to take it once a day...It only lasts for 12 hours in its sustained release version - you do the math... I was also given a large dose of an extremely addictive sleep medicine, from which I am still in withdrawal two months later. I was treated rudely when I called the doctor in a very vulnerable state on a weekend. I would not advise anybody in a fragile psychiatric state to visit this doctor.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2007

Dr. Rowin E. Cantrell's Credentials

• University Of California, Irvine, California College Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)

HealthPartners